Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One of the best teams for 90% of the season?

Dude...

View: https://i.imgur.com/APrgsGs.png

This alone is more than 10% of the season. And we're fucking bottom.

We're 11th since the Chelsea game and are literally below mid table form for the majority of the season.

In what fantasy universe are you living in right now?

Rock solid all year... WE HAVE SIX CLEAN SHEETS! LMAO

It's delusion of the highest order

Genuinely terrifying

No doubt we played great in the 1st 10 or so games which bolstered his stats, but its the result since of the start of the new year that is v worrying. The trend is definitely spiralling downwards and its hard to see that changing.
Yeah I think we all had a false sense of security because the original bad form was when we had all those injuries. Most players have been back for this poor form. Only good thing it might do is make ange see what players don’t cut it & then get rid of them if possible. But we are bad at clearing deadwood.

Klopp and Arteta started in the mid season taking over a couple of really struggling sides. Arteta got time because he won an FA cup after 6 months beating City and Chelsea. Klopp got to 2 finals in his first part season. We played 3 cup games and lost 2 of them.

Again if Ange had been inconsistant throughout the season with the odd great performance then yea, 60 pts from 35 games is alright, however 34 pts from the last 25 games is lower mid table shite.

The other biggest red flags is how pretty much every single player in the squad has regressed the longer Ange has been manager.

Managers are supposed to make teams better than the sum of their parts. We were all raving about Sarr, Bissouma, Udogie, VDV, Romero, Porro, Vic first 10 games etc

Now apparently we all need to get rid and we need half a new team because they are all rubbish (bar the CBs). It just can't be the case.

Emery went in to Villa and has players like Luiz, Watkins, McGin, Konsa and Diego Carlos etc playing out of their skin most weeks. He has them in a european semi final. Properly punching above their weight.

Yes our squad needs work, but are you seriously telling me our defence is so bad we can't keep clean sheets? It's not true. It's Ange's set up.

Look at his PC today, he didn't talk about how poor the goals we conceded were, and no journalist had the guts to ask him. He just doubled down that apparently we played well?! It is appalling conceding so many goals, Fulham 3, Newcastle 4, Woolwich 3, Chelsea 2, Liverpool 4 and tbh the scorelines could and should have been greater. He has the team defending like the keystone cops.

His system is fundamentally flawed, it will never work in this league I am telling you now. Coaches have sussed him (and us) out. We attack and we lose the ball, and our fullbacks are inverted up the pitch and it's 4 on 2 against our CBs. Teams are in on our goal in 2 passes constantly. It won't change, we will just do even more damage keeping him over the summer.

He's basically Bielsa at Leeds.

Comes in, plays gung ho football. Gets people suggesting he's a genius.

Then it quickly dawns on people his team lose a lot and concede a lot.

I'd go for Tuchel, despite his Chelsea links. If you look at his and Ange's resume they are like chalk and cheese. Amorim is also another top option, although with him it's more in the unknown territory. Postecoglou has one way only, and that way was found out 10 games or so into the season. If he gets next season then the most likely scenario is that nothing changes and he gets sacked months into the season, wasting a pre-season which is so important for any new manager to get his ideas across.
If we sack Postecoglou.

That means the last four managers will have been sacked after only having one pre season each to get their points across, can't be that important then can it mate.

we aren't learning anything by sacking managers every season.

If we sack Postecoglou.

That means the last four managers will have been sacked after only having one pre season each to get their points across, can't be that important then can it mate.

we aren't learning anything by sacking managers every season.
What sort of successful 'project' involves being humiliated on a regular basis?

Could any of us expect to be retained at what we attempt to do at work if the results of our efforts were so mediocre / average / poor / terrible after an initial period of hitting the ground running?

I cannot deny that Spurs season has turned into an absolute mystery regarding the whys and hows but;

Spurs are shite and Ange is the man calling the shots.

What has to happen is that Levy goes down with whatever happens next.

Changing the managers is not working.

Burley in the Championship where in a mess, Kompany came in, they didn’t have the best team yet they won that league by a mile. They couldn’t make a championship squad do that kind of football in the prem, the quality gap was to much.
You’ve contradicted yourself in this post. You said at least 2 years are needed to make attacking, high pressing football work, yet here you say Kompany took over at Burnley and immediately transformed the side, to win the Championship.

Of course he couldn’t make them as solid in Premier League, it’s common sense that the gap in quality is big, no football style is going to mitigate the deficiencies.

That’s what many Arse fans said about Arteta for 2-3 seasons as he hit a number of bad runs. Poch was and is a great manager but let’s say Ange goes, I doubt we will get someone who fits us like Poch again, that was a match of club, timing and style. I’d rather fail trying to attack than doing a Nuno and just defend.

Sorry but Poch wasn’t a ‘great’ manager

‘Great’ managers win things!

He didn’t

He was a good manager and we played some top class footy for 2/3 years but we didn’t win anything!

Sorry but Poch wasn’t a ‘great’ manager

‘Great’ managers win things!

He didn’t

He was a good manager and we played some top class footy for 2/3 years but we didn’t win anything!
He's looking better with every manager we sack though isn't he?

What alarms me most is that the Pochettino years are starting to look like our younger supporters 'good old days'; despite the lack of trophies.

Ange could still turn it around but it is his better players that are letting him down. The criticism of Royal today is just wrong.

A defensive right back, asked to play at left back, against a Premier League legend, all the while knowing the club's preferred option is to sell him.

He made mistakes today but he also made a few interceptions, blocks and tackles that prevented goal scoring opportunities.

Son and Bentancur were shite for an hour today.

Klopp and Arteta were pretty crap in their first season(s), particularly Lego Head, but they were subsequently backed by their owners with consistent, quality signings at the top end of the market.
Will Ange receive similar backing? Almost zero chance I would say.

He doesn’t deserve any

One trick pony at best in a lower league in Scotland

He's looking better with every manager we sack though isn't he?

What alarms me most is that the Pochettino years are starting to look like our younger supporters 'good old days'; despite the lack of trophies.

Ange could still turn it around but it is his better players that are letting him down. The criticism of Royal today is just wrong.

A defensive right back, asked to play at left back, against a Premier League legend, all the while knowing the club's preferred option is to sell him.

He made mistakes today but he also made a few interceptions, blocks and tackles that prevented goal scoring opportunities.

Son and Bentancur were shite for an hour today.

Agree with most of your post

I don’t think you can say that Ange will ever turn it around no matter what players he has

He’s out of his depth!

Agree with most of your post

I don’t think you can say that Ange will ever turn it around no matter what players he has

He’s out of his depth!
I'm not sure he is out of his depth to be fair.

Those first 10 games were impressive and the mood at home games was brilliant. Even the 5 games without a win, with key players missing, saw performance levels that gave you a belief in the manager.

This looks more like a mutiny to me than Ange not knowing what he is doing.

The players have stopped playing.

We are about to come full circle again. Another manager to go, while the man behind 20+ yrs of failure will remain in place.
Personally I was committed to giving Ange the summer window, but his stubbornness in dealing with our set pieces issues, his constant selection of underperforming players and a lot of his in game decisions do not fill me with confidence.
Saying all that it is very clear most players are either nowhere near good enough and/or cannot be bothered. The fact it was Royals 100th appearance for the club today says it all, he was never good enough and bar a slight purple patch never will be good enough. Not one of our midfielders is performing at the level required for months, while our front three are no better. Our reserves/subs are no better, we have brought little to no youth through and we have deadwood that needs shifting for seasons.
Ange may or may not work out, but the problems run much deeper. Can we change again after a year and expect anything better? We fund ourselves in this position all too often and yes the manager may be at fault but the bulk of the burden should be firmly on the shoulders of the players and board.

Back
Top Bottom