Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First half against Liverpool we got an xG of 0.04. I'd expect Newport County to give Liverpool a better match, never mind another manager with our squad full of internationalists.

We've lost 4 in a row for the first time in 20 years, so yeah I'd expect better given the players available.

Would another manager insist on playing BJ on his weak side, Son up top and no real centre forward when one was available and had all the desire and hatred for Liverpool that would have guaranteed full effort?
Absolutely, I'm with you.

Like I said, Ange has made his fair share of mistakes. Denying that is just blind cultism.

But:

- He's been here 5 minutes and he's still learning

- So many of our players...internationals or not...aren't up to the task. And I ain't just talking tactics and tekkers

- He ain't the main issue that needs addressing

Couple questions to the AngeOut lot:

- Who do you get instead?

- You honestly think a Tuchel/Amorim/Slot/whoever else would get a better tune out of that squad?

- Say we get someone else in and our performances improve...how long that gonna last? How long til the next crisis and sacking?

I'm certainly not saying the big fella is blameless. He's made several mistakes and yeah he may not have what it takes to be a success in the PL. But come on now, is he really the No 1 issue we have and the reason our club is such a friggin mess? Nah he's just another scapegoat. Tree that hides the forest and all that.
I'll field this

Can we attract a top manager? Probably not due to the poor practices shown by the board. But here's the catch. I don't think we need an already established top class manager. We need one who can develop players, change formations and have more than just, plan b is doing plan a better. What we need to see is a team building towards something, not just a few good, sometimes extremely lucky results. If fat Carl hets the players for his system and as then expected it doesn't work due to him having no other tactics than the one he starts every match with, then what? A season of him talking about processes and his football, while results flatline and a bigger mess of a squad.

If you think a one tactic manager who had success in weak leagues is the answer then appoint that guy who was on the one show managing the under 12 girls team.

- Who do you get instead?
I mentioned some names a few pages back: at this point my preferred choice is Marco Rose from Leipzig. He’s not flawless either, but I think he’s one of the better upcoming managers from Germany. Why do I think he’d be a great fit? He’s managed Salzburg and got some decent results in Europe, he managed Borussia Monchengladbach and got them to a Champions League spot (after which Gladbach never finished top 4), he managed Dortmund and he finished 2nd with virtually no backing from their board (think it was the last time Dortmund finished 2nd) and at Leipzig he’s doing a pretty decent job aswell.

Maybe Frankfurter Frankfurter can provide some closer to home input about this manager.

Other names: Marco Silva, who’s done quite well at most clubs he’s managed in England (probably less so at Everton), has Premier League experience and from what I heard from Fulham fans, he’s improved even their fringe players.

Amorim, but I am a bit unsure because I think we’d have to transition again to a slightly more defensive style. I am not saying it’s full blown defensive, it could be a good idea to have a balance between attacking and defending. What concerns me is his lack of experience outside Portugal.

A decent shout could be Potter too.

Also haven’t heard about Gallardo lately, is he still without a job? Could be a wild card, similar style of football as Postecoglou from what I heard, but more flexible on the tactical aspect.
- You honestly think a Tuchel/Amorim/Slot/whoever else would get a better tune out of that squad?
Yes, I think the managers I mentioned above would. Would they actually do it? Now my friend, that is the million dollars question. If we had a way to see the future, then we’d probably take decisions about Postecoglou already?
- Say we get someone else in and our performances improve...how long that gonna last? How long til the next crisis and sacking?
The managers will rightly get praised when things go right and criticised when things go wrong. Not sure why this is so baffling to you.

I’d say people have refrained from criticising Postecoglou for quite a bit despite shit football. If this was Conte, people would start moaning much earlier.

However, if managers show some promising stuff while going through a crisis, then you’d be right to question melters. However, this crisis has lasted 4 months now. This is not a crisis, it’s a pattern.
But come on now, is he really the No 1 issue we have and the reason our club is such a friggin mess?
Yes, he is. Conte was considered to be the main issue last season when we played like shit and got knocked out by Milan. Why wouldn’t Postecoglou be in the same boat? Lol.

Last edited:
I mentioned some names a few pages back: at this point my preferred choice is Marco Rose from Leipzig. He’s not flawless either, but I think he’s one of the better upcoming managers from Germany. Why do I think he’d be a great fit? He’s managed Salzburg and got some decent results in Europe, he managed Borussia Monchengladbach and got them to a Champions League spot (after which Gladbach never finished top 4), he managed Dortmund and he finished 2nd with virtually no backing from their board (think it was the last time Dortmund finished 2nd) and at Leipzig he’s doing a pretty decent job aswell.

Maybe Frankfurter Frankfurter can provide some closer to home input about this manager.

Other names: Marco Silva, who’s done quite well at most clubs he’s managed in England (probably less so at Everton), has Premier League experience and from what I heard from Fulham fans, he’s improved even their fringe players.

Amorim, but I am a bit unsure because I think we’d have to transition again to a slightly more defensive style. I am not saying it’s full blown defensive, it could be a good idea to have a balance between attacking and defending. What concerns me is his lack of experience outside Portugal.

A decent shout could be Potter too.

Also haven’t heard about Gallardo lately, is he still without a job? Could be a wild card, similar style of football as Postecoglou from what I heard, but more flexible on the tactical aspect.

Yes, I think the managers I mentioned above would. Would they actually do it? Now my friend, that is the million dollars question. If we had a way to see the future, then we’d probably take decisions about Postecoglou already?

The managers will rightly get praised when things go right and criticised when things go wrong. Not sure why this is so baffling to you.

I’d say people have refrained from criticising Postecoglou for quite a bit despite shit football. If this was Conte, people would start moaning much earlier.

However, if managers show some promising stuff while going through a crisis, then you’d be right to question melters. However, this crisis has lasted 4 months now. This is not a crisis, it’s a pattern.

Yes, he is. Conte was considered to be the main issue last season when we played like shit and got knocked out by Milan. Why wouldn’t Postecoglou be in the same boat? Lol.
I wouldn't get rid of Ange yet, I want to see him get more of a chance to turn things round.

If we do get rid I think De Zerbi or Iraola are the obvious shouts from within the PL. Maybe Marco Silva. Will defer to others on the Bundesliga/La Liga. I'm less hot on Potter tbh, could be Ange all over again.

We finished 11th that season and we all know what happened the season after
Yeah...Levy sold Dimitar Berbatov and Robbie Keane and gave him Frazer Campbell on loan as a booby prize.

Interesting comparison you draw though. Our end of season form is very similar to that season. Doesn't bode well for next season when you think about it, does it.

Last edited:
I think they would adapt the tactics of the team to the situation they find themselves or even make changes during the course of individual games to account for our weaknesses.

They'd probably drill on set pieces too.

Slot is basically a Dutch Ange, has even been called the ‘attacking maniac’ by a journalist, very much a system project manager who would need time. Tuchel would most likely be a very short appointment, Amorim is the big unknown.

Everyone needs time, even Klopp and Pep

We need to stick with Ange, the green shoots of success were there to see before xmas, let him get the players he needs for this to work

Arteta had the cunts bottom of the league in his second season, they stuck with him and now look a good side

The manager merry go round is something we need to get the fuck off of for a while
I’ve said previously if we’ve the same issues this time next season, which if is the case he probably won’t be our manager anyway, but let’s just say October, November time and we’re still huffing & puffing then we should consider a change and then take another two steps back

Can’t believe people are debating which manager is the best choice - 24 years says none of them.

If Pep won his fourth title, resigned from City and wanted a new challenge at Spurs he would be sacked and fail within two years. Doesn’t matter who we employ, there is one change that needs to happen this summer

Can’t believe people are debating which manager is the best choice - 24 years says none of them.

If Pep won his fourth title, resigned from City and wanted a new challenge at Spurs he would be sacked and fail within two years. Doesn’t matter who we employ, there is one change that needs to happen this summer
And he’s going no where

Big Brother Tim GIF by Big Brother Australia

Levy needs to sack Ange and employ this guy , he is right up Levy’s strassa

Read the thread and respond to that mate.

I have read that same opinion from you and million other people.

In the thread, the point was pretty simple, our attackers turned promising 3v2's and other transition attacks into counterattacks for Liverpool. It's a killer for a system designed to dominate the ball and get men forward.

High risk, high reward but when your forwards our off form, incapable or shot for confidence, its more risk than reward.
My question, which I don't know the answer to, is whether the forwards are really that bad or if the system isn't a good one for the final third in the Premier League. The reason for hiring Postecoglou was to get his system, which was supposed to create advantages in the final third, among other things. We have seen it repeatedly grind to a halt on the attack. For it to work Spurs have to get forward quickly and exploit advantages. But they are so slow moving the ball forward. And it isn't working from out of the back. It's supposed to generate breakouts from medium to long diagonal passes, but as the season went along it has done that less and less. I don't know what Postecoglou sees as the problem because after games he just rambles on about the player's commitment to his system. Maybe it will work with different players. At this point, who knows?

My question, which I don't know the answer to, is whether the forwards are really that bad or if the system isn't a good one for the final third in the Premier League. The reason for hiring Postecoglou was to get his system, which was supposed to create advantages in the final third, among other things. We have seen it repeatedly grind to a halt on the attack. For it to work Spurs have to get forward quickly and exploit advantages. But they are so slow moving the ball forward. And it isn't working from out of the back. It's supposed to generate breakouts from medium to long diagonal passes, but as the season went along it has done that less and less. I don't know what Postecoglou sees as the problem because after games he just rambles on about the player's commitment to his system. Maybe it will work with different players. At this point, who knows?

The forwards aren't good enough for the system

Why would do we need to sell our soul for a trophy?
And what is our soul, anyway. One who's CEO tries to break up English football for a European money league and is owned by a convicted criminal and financial fraudster?

Read and respond to the full post and conversation, not just the part you take out of context just to push your agenda.

Last edited:
- He's been here 5 minutes and he's still learning
But is he still learning?

It might be a myth that he plays ONE way and ONE only, but there's plenty of evidence to suggest that it's true.

I will always love the big guy, but I wish he would realise, that being pragmatic isn't betraying your principles.

Back
Top Bottom