Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I watched this and just as I thought it was pretty obvious anyway but the opps don't rate our wide players so they leave them free, defend narrow in 2 banks of 4 and make us play through the middle where there's no space hence why the ball keeps coming back.

We've probably lost a lot of confidence in the system since the beginning of the season so players are 2nd guessing their roles/tactics, there was loads of loose passes trying to break Liverpool's press and made silly decisions giving the ball away in dangerous areas.

I think people are right to say that Ange has been found out but that doesn't mean the tactics are broken, it means the personnel needs to improve, starting with the wingers.

Ange ball is incredibly risky football and probably the most riskiest tactic any manager has done in the Prem bar Bielsa and probably De Zerbi, it will only go so far if you don't have the right profiles to play it.
The problem I have is that these very same players were executing the football at the start of the season, will replacing these players really fix the issues with the system?

If teams have indeed figured it out and Ange keeps us playing the same way (which I think he will because he's stubborn) will it make a difference if we have a higher quality player? Or is it simply a case of Ange and his style being too naive for the PL?

I personally think it might be the latter but I also think we need improvements to the team, regardless of the manager in charge.

Because of the first 10 games. Since then his lack of tactical training, or adaptability has seen us first look bad when we win and now just get battered every week.

I genuinely can't understand how there are spurs fans, who have seen this play out that can't see it again.
He's done. He probably doesn't want to change it now.
does that include the 4-0 win at Villa park?

Clearly it's fallen off badly at the end of the season but I just find it bizarre that anyone thinks they know for certain that we can't build on the promise and results and playing style of the first half of the year after a reset in summer.

We can't keep sacking managers at the first sign of trouble. He gets at least another full year unless we're in relegation trouble. Surely that's obvious?

I’ve never said that it was for certain but highly unlikely with virtually no evidence that it will happen!

It’s obvious to me that he is hopelessly out of his depth in the PL!

The Dippers could have scored more than double what they did but never needed to get out of second gear!
Same as Woolwich
Same as Newcastle
Same as the Chavs

Isn’t that worrying to you?

The problem I have is that these very same players were executing the football at the start of the season, will replacing these players really fix the issues with the system?

If teams have indeed figured it out and Ange keeps us playing the same way (which I think he will because he's stubborn) will it make a difference if we have a higher quality player? Or is it simply a case of Ange and his style being too naive for the PL?

I personally think it might be the latter but I also think we need improvements to the team, regardless of the manager in charge.

This can be explained

At the start of the video it showed how teams were defending against us, namely Bournemouth who were leaving gaps for us to exploit because no-one genuinely had a clue on how to stop us, everyone then got wise to it which was expected.

Ange strikes me as a stubborn manager, my way or the high way, someone who doesn't compromise on his principles, people will wonder why he hasn't changed tactics or there's no Plan B and it's probably because he is still laying the foundations of his team and still trying to figure out who can and who can't play this system, it leaves everyone in no uncertain terms about who/what we need to come in and improve the team.

I think the shouts of naivety it a bit silly, you can't be 30 years deep into management (at any level) and be naive, that doesn't make much sense.

This can be explained

At the start of the video it showed how teams were defending against us, namely Bournemouth who were leaving gaps for us to exploit because no-one genuinely had a clue on how to stop us, everyone then got wise to it which was expected.

Ange strikes me as a stubborn manager, my way or the high way, someone who doesn't compromise on his principles, people will wonder why he hasn't changed tactics or there's no Plan B and it's probably because he is still laying the foundations of his team and still trying to figure out who can and who can't play this system, it leaves everyone in no uncertain terms about who/what we need to come in and improve the team.

I think the shouts of naivety it a bit silly, you can't be 30 years deep into management (at any level) and be naive, that doesn't make much sense.
The reason I mentioned naivety is simply because Ange strikes me as someone who has a very high level of self belief but as I explained before just because someone has a high level of self belief doesn't mean they have the ability to perform at certain levels.

He may have been in management for a long time but the jobs he has taken have never been at this level before, the PL really is another level it can't be stressed enough and sometimes self belief or a system that was dominant in other leagues is simply not good enough in this league.

Ange has even hinted that the PL may be too far of a step for him which was an odd admission but again, he is pretty honest so maybe a bit of self doubt is creeping in but like he said, he will die on the hill playing this way, even if it doesn't work because he's done it his entire career.

Also, I understand that teams have adapted and that's the reason we have struggled after our initial success, however my concern is, if they have figured it out already and we are going to continue playing this way, will adding better quality players really make that much difference? Or will brute forcing the system with better players simply override any tactical advantage teams have against the system?

Well, as much as I don't like him, Postecoglou did say this is what Year One would be and that there would need to be a reshaping of the squad with players who would be on board with his approach. It's very different from the way most teams play and if he's right next year will be much better. It's kind of obvious, though, this group of players either isn't buying in or don't have the right skill set to play in his system. Next season should tell the tale.
But we need wholesale changes for next season! Are they all meant to the ground running? I still get why people year two will by some dynamo magic be better when he has to incorporate say 6 new players. It’s not as if his first season we are playing whatever it is we are supposed to be playing. We cough up more chances than Ange coughs in his interviews. We can’t defend snd there are no real patterns of attacking play apart from being off the cuff.

The reason I mentioned naivety is simply because Ange strikes me as someone who has a very high level of self belief but as I explained before just because someone has a high level of self belief doesn't mean they have the ability to perform at certain levels.

He may have been in management for a long time but the jobs he has taken have never been at this level before, the PL really is another level it can't be stressed enough and sometimes self belief or a system that was dominant in other leagues is simply not good enough in this league.

Ange has even hinted that the PL may be too far of a step for him which was an odd admission but again, he is pretty honest so maybe a bit of self doubt is creeping in but like he said, he will die on the hill playing this way, even if it doesn't work because he's done it his entire career.

Also, I understand that teams have adapted and that's the reason we have struggled after our initial success, however my concern is, if they have figured it out already and we are going to continue playing this way, will adding better quality players really make that much difference? Or will brute forcing the system with better players simply override any tactical advantage teams have against the system?

Mate I really can't be arsed to go all through this again 😆We're just repeating the same debates all over again just wait and see I guess.

In the summer i agree, cant see it but think it’s a mistake. I'd be amazed however if he is still our manager by Nov/Dec. This sort of stinking form and level of performance is not changed by a summer break. I'd love to be proven wrong and no agenda, i was happy enough with the appointment and even a couple of weeks ago thought he deserved a bit more time but the last few months are honestly as bad as anything we've seen even in our rotten spells over the last 15 years. First time we've lost 4 on the spin in the league since 2004.

I'm not Ange out

But I am worried

There's no evidence that this form we've shown since Christmas won't continue into next season. Just seems to be a downward trajectory at the moment.

I've a feeling it's going to get worse before it gets better.

This pres season and transfer window is probably the most important that we've had in a long while.

The tactics, the arrogance, the set pieces, the selections, the lack of specific preparation. None of it says to me that he's going to change it around.

He's got to change how he manages, by the sounds of it and I can't see it.
His had all season to address those issues but done nothing.

In the premier league Ange has more points from the same number of games as Arteta and Klopp.

It’s far from perfect but it’s also been way more promising than just 10 games.
That’s just overly simplified negative narrative spin.

People just love parroting those Arteta and Klopp stats. You seen them all over the United forums too, from fans understandably sick of the merry-go-round and arguing to give Ten Hag more time. Ring a bell?

On the subject of Ten Hag, Ange has fewer points than Ten Hag in his first 35 games at United. Weirdly enough he's never mentioned in those manager comparison charts though?

And of course Ange has many fewer than Conte had with us after 35 Prem games. He was gone by game 54.

Hence why these sort of simplistic manager comparisons devoid of context are completely useless.

Last edited:
I think people are right to say that Ange has been found out but that doesn't mean the tactics are broken, it means the personnel needs to improve, starting with the wingers.

The two wingers that Ange started against Liverpool he sanctioned 80m on in the summer. So either Ange has poor talent ID for his system, or can't coach them up to standard. Which is it?

Back
Top Bottom