Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Calling for Ange to go is not 'expressing concerns'. It's the mark of a brainless imbecile.

So here's an idea. Shut up.

Edit: For clarity - any disagrees received from the 'moaning massive' as I will now be referring to them as, count as badges of honour, so keep 'em coming, non-spurs fans.
I usually refer to them as Doomers, but maybe we call them MM's
What's your favourite flavour?

He needs to close out the season with wins against Burnely and Sheffield then reflect seriously on what's required to deliver his football in the PL.

We have had so much time on the training pitch yet the football is getting worse, clearly there need to be changes in the coaching staff as well as the playing staff. We need to bring a set piece coach and an experienced PL assistant coach to help Davies, Mason and Jedinak because they clearly can't translate Ange's ideas effectively on their own.
I don’t think it I know it.

Tactics are dependent entirely on personnel. You can be as genuis as you like with your master plan to counter act any tactics but if you don’t have the personnel or your players aren’t in form it won’t do shit.

Same thing goes for Ange’s system right now. It needs recruitment in several key positions to work as a squad.
No look at teams like Brighton they don’t have top level players cost over £50M yet they can pass the ball around well. Pass and move as a unit. They look they have been coached in patterns of play. Do we look even slightly coached. We can only score from type of move get it wide and low cross. We hardly score from free kicks and corners but concede from then 10 a penny.

Problem with flexible managers like Redknapp or Jol is for various reasons the ceiling on that football limits the future. Pep and Klopp will make minor changes but mostly are very inflexible with their principles, Pep won’t change the system for Kalvin Philips, even supernatural talents like Haaland have to bend to a good degree.

If we can’t support a ‘system’ manager who wants plan A to be perfect and to build an elite team to make it happen then we can’t support glory in modern football. We will be forever 4-8th in a perpetual ground hog day. Fixing the club isn’t just getting tight arse Levy to spend, it’s also breaking down the mental aspects that limit us.

A ‘flexible’ manager might be a great short term solution but it fixes none of the underlying issues.
We had unbending 'system' managers with Hoddle and Conte in particular. You could probably even add George Graham and Mourinho. All were very good tactically but all needed the absolute best players to make the system work. For all the will in the world Ange isnt as good tactically as them and will also not get the absolute best players to make the system work. I'd love owners that would buy the best but we have to live in the reality we face rather than what we'd like to happen. If it were a choice between a new manager or new owners i'd go for new owners but its not.

No look at teams like Brighton they don’t have top level players cost over £50M yet they can pass the ball around well. Pass and move as a unit. They look they have been coached in patterns of play. Do we look even slightly coached. We can only score from type of move get it wide and low cross. We hardly score from free kicks and corners but concede from then 10 a penny.

We absolutely look coached.

4th for big chances created, 7th for goals scored.

not exactly "shit"

Yeah we pour players forward at the expense of any stability. That's not being good going forward, we're not pretty on the eye, we don't put together moves you sit back and admire. We scored two against Liverpool AFTER the game was already dead. We scored two against Woolwich AFTER the game was already over.

We were great for the first 10 games and put together some lovely attacking moves, since then we're not an entertaining but flawed team, we're just ineffective in all areas of the pitch apart from in retaining the ball. Teams aren't struggling to contain us going forward at all.

We have average forwards...

A winger he picked out for 45m, Son with 26 g/a, Kulu who he apparently admires and in reserve Werner who he wanted and Richarlison the 60m forward.

Are we meant to believe these forwards are a finger click away from a full upgrade? Why? What tells you we'll manage that?

Problem with flexible managers like Redknapp or Jol is for various reasons the ceiling on that football limits the future. Pep and Klopp will make minor changes but mostly are very inflexible with their principles, Pep won’t change the system for Kalvin Philips, even supernatural talents like Haaland have to bend to a good degree.

If we can’t support a ‘system’ manager who wants plan A to be perfect and to build an elite team to make it happen then we can’t support glory in modern football. We will be forever 4-8th in a perpetual ground hog day. Fixing the club isn’t just getting tight arse Levy to spend, it’s also breaking down the mental aspects that limit us.

A ‘flexible’ manager might be a great short term solution but it fixes none of the underlying issues.

Exactly.

People are reacting to a rough patch that has us in ... checks notes ...5th. After finishing 8th.

What are they afraid of? Not finishing 4th again and risking the doom of finishing 8th?

The last manager to get us close to being successful was Poch and he was a...checks notes again... system manager.

If we really want to break our ceiling, we really need to try something different and stick to it. Even when the easy option would be to piss ourselves and sack another manager in search of that sweet dopamine hit of new manager bounce.

A winger he picked out for 45m, Son with 26 g/a, Kulu who he apparently admires and in reserve Werner who he wanted and Richarlison the 60m forward.

Are we meant to believe these forwards are a finger click away from a full upgrade? Why? What tells you we'll manage that?

But you said the other day that we need a striker to replace Son, it's been well documented that you don't rate Kulu and you don't rate Werner either? So once again you're changing your argument just to fit the narrative.

Do you have genuinely dementia or something?

Exactly.

People are reacting to a rough patch that has us in ... checks notes ...5th. After finishing 8th.

What are they afraid of? Not finishing 4th again and risking the doom of finishing 8th?

The last manager to get us close to being successful was Poch and he was a...checks notes again... system manager.

If we really want to break our ceiling, we really need to try something different and stick to it. Even when the easy option would be to piss ourselves and sack another manager in search of that sweet dopamine hit of new manager bounce.

Pochettino's first season was much better and he had much less in terms of resources. I really don't care that technically they both finished 5th, one had to use the academy, one had next to zero money to spend, one got us to a cup final.

Kulu made permanent on his watch and Johnson, Werner and Solomon came in so 4 of the forwards came in under him. As you say Son is still very good as well. Not his fault really, Kulu , Werner and Solomon were deals the club loves but therin lies the problem. They'll be more of those this summer. He isnt going to have Williams, Sesko and Olise next season mores the pity.

But you said the other day that we need a striker to replace Son, it's been well documented that you don't rate Kulu and you don't rate Werner either? So once again you're changing your argument just to fit the narrative.

Do you have genuinely dementia or something?

Disgusting comment but I'd expect nothing less from you, Shady.

We do need to replace Son, I just have no faith in us to do it. I don't rate Kulu but apparently Ange does, we've been told this repeatedly. And he did choose Werner and Johnson, neither of which I rate but err .. he wanted, by all accounts.

You seem to have endless faith that he will just upgrade our average forwards as if he hasn't had a big hand in obtaining some of the ones we already have, and as if this club has a track record recently of going out and getting really good forwards. It's delusional and baseless, like most of your posts.

and?

what does that change if it was better or worse?

It changes people's faith in Ange and probably makes a large number of people think that he's probably not up to the job and getting someone else would be a good idea.

I'm pretty much in the give Ange more time but I have no expectation it will work out camp. We should indicate we're willing to stick to something for longer, I'm just not convinced this is the thing we should stick to.

Disgusting comment but I'd expect nothing less from you, Shady.

We do need to replace Son, I just have no faith in us to do it. I don't rate Kulu but apparently Ange does, we've been told this repeatedly. And he did choose Werner and Johnson, neither of which I rate but err .. he wanted, by all accounts.

You seem to have endless faith that he will just upgrade our average forwards as if he hasn't had a big hand in obtaining some of the ones we already have, and as if this club has a track record recently of going out and getting really good forwards. It's delusional and baseless, like most of your posts.

Stop acting like an oppressed little snowflake, trying to be offended by everything is generally an illness, don't be that guy please.

Fine, if your concern is that we won't replace the forwards adequately then that's fine but that doesn't alter my point about where we lack and that's forward areas, you asked where the balance was, there's your balance.

You can carry on all you want and speculate how I 'act like' I already said that those questioning his player ID so far in those areas are well justified so I'm not sure what your point is?

It changes people's faith in Ange and probably makes a large number of people think that he's probably not up to the job and getting someone else would be a good idea.

I'm pretty much in the give Ange more time but I have no expectation it will work out camp. We should indicate we're willing to stick to something for longer, I'm just not convinced this is the thing we should stick to.

Why does it?

It's not like it was objectively better in terms of process or result.

It's just a couple of fans on a forum debating if it was minimally better or worse either way.

If you are saying you are in the camp of giving him more time but you don't think it will work, what is the point in that? Seems more like you are fence-sitting to appear balanced but in reality taking every opportunity to be negative.

Stop acting like an oppressed little snowflake, trying to be offended by everything is generally an illness, don't be that guy please.

Fine, if your concern is that we won't replace the forwards adequately then that's fine but that doesn't alter my point about where we lack and that's forward areas, you asked where the balance was, there's your balance.

You can carry on all you want and speculate how I 'act like' I already said that those questioning his player ID so far in those areas are well justified so I'm not sure what your point is?

Asking people if they have dementia because you've misunderstood their point (just like you did with the Osimhen point the other day) is just dumb. I'd suggest you stop it purely on the basis of you being the one with comprehension issues more than anything else.

Why does it?

It's not like it was objectively better in terms of process or result.

It's just a couple of fans on a forum debating if it was minimally better or worse either way.

If you are saying you are in the camp of giving him more time but you don't think it will work, what is the point in that? Seems more like you are fence-sitting to appear balanced but in reality taking every opportunity to be negative.

It's the best camp to be in because you're firmly sitting on the fence, that way you can never be wrong 😆

Back
Top Bottom