Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This ‘taking it out on the fans’ angle is getting frankly ridiculous!

If some people are genuinely offended by his ‘both inside and outside the club’ comments then I’d love to see how you survived in a construction site environment! You’d be eaten alive! 😂

This whole debacle is getting blown out of all proportion by some right drama lamas! 🙈😂

Some right Karen's in our fanbase

i think they done the double over leicester that year? but the circumstances were different. they didnt play them at the end where beating them would've handed us the league so its different.

yea this has been an eye opener. its made you realises how many 'fans' havent actually got a fucking clue. bunch of self righteous tosspots who think they are teaching us how to be winners hahahah. fucking pathetic cunts. as another poster perfectly said "they aint spurs fans, they just follow a sports team".
Was referring more to Chelsea in that Leicester season but the general vibe was most teams rolling over for Leicester (and even officials wanting them to win) in that run in.

If it had gone to the wire and Leicester were at the Emirates and a win/draw would hand us the title you can bet the atmosphere there would have been exactly the same and the players would have been made well aware of the assignment. The media have been making out like this is unique to Spurs and that is complete bollocks.

Yep, 100% agreed. That is next level blame game to shit on fans and everything, after:
- you have delivered 10 points from 10 EPL games;
- you oversaw your squad totally fucking embarrassed and ripped apart within first half of NLD despite having 14 days to come up with solutions to play better and be prepared;
- you haven't got the team to play even 1 (!) game in 2024 well from start to finish (Villa game hardly counts, they played most 2nd half with 10 men and they were dangerous to our goal even on 80th minute while being 0:2 down)
- you have been faced with painfully obvious issues in defending and has seen your coached team to keep 1 (!) clean sheet within 18 (!) games
- within last month, ONLY two goals from attackers in open play came when Liverpool was already 4:0 up; apart from that we either have not scored, converted penalty or saw our defenders score goals, cause in attack there is 0 fucking idea and pointless horseshoe football

After all that to come out and divert blame for doing pathatically shit job - it is borderline outrageous.
Eat an humble-pie and look into mirror before calling others names.
To be honest it’s been more than 2 thirds of the season. Onyl the first 10 games were semi decent even then we were lucky in some games. Add on the cup knockouts and his complete disregard for our own youth integration.

Joined in 2015.

9 comments. All expressing disappointment with the fact we didn’t gift wrap the league for the Scum.

Woolwich melt.

Lol…. Imagine associating a message board join up date and activity with support for a club. Only reason I logged back in after years of reading was the ridiculous call to want to lose a game.

You keep being negative. I’ll keep supporting the side. You keep worrying about Woolwich, I’ll keep worrying about Spurs.

Also lol at “gift wrap the league”. You don’t know how sports works.

Lol…. Imagine associating a message board join up date and activity with support for a club. Only reason I logged back in after years of trolling was the ridiculous call to want to lose a game.

You keep being negative. I’ll keep supporting the side. You keep worrying about Woolwich, I’ll keep worrying about Spurs.
So nothing to say for that entire time until the day we managed to fuck Woolwich over.

That’s what forced your hand to comment?

I understand, but I don’t really sympathise.

The irony is, the fans’ desire to lose was a logical extension of the position he holds himself.

He’s continuously dismisses meaningless achievements. Top 4 means nothing. Second place, who cares?

He said it himself ‘I just want to win’.

Well, we’re not winning fucking anything. So if we’re not winning anything of value, the next best thing is to stop our rivals winning.

But, in a plot twist, all of a sudden, a game versus City is a battle for the very soul of this football club! Now, everything is on the fucking line!

Get pumped by Newcastle? Awkward mumbling to camera. Ship three to Fulham? More mumbling. Bummed by Chavs? Yeah, we’re disappointed mate. Three down to the Scum? Coughing. Four to Liverpool? Blank stares.

The bloke is behaving like a child.

Anyway, he’s made his position clear. We need to change our expectations.

Very fucking well. You win now Ange. No excuses. Starting with Sheffield. Hammer them.

And keep a clean fucking sheet too.

Apparently we need to earn his respect. Well he can fucking well earn mine too.
Agreed. It's pure arrogance blaming the fans when his own tactical naivety is the reason for not only resulting in 5 losses in 6 but also getting hampered by all our biggest rivals.

He is the one who needs to earn our respect. Recent results and his outburst do not help. If he stumbles yet again against Sheffield on Sunday, I see no reason why he should continue. Seems like a toxic figure, contrary to what we thought at the beginning.

The people dismissing the importance of us not taking points off City must live under a rock.

Even if you don't live in London and don't have links to any real life gooners, the media wank fest over the next few weeks would have been sickening. Images of open top bus parades and then a whole summer having to listen to what a special team they are. Followed by a whole season of them as defending champions. Technically this could still happen and that would be a whole year of pain to endure.

If WE had been the ones to hand it to them it would have been decades of pain. Someone mentioned it earlier but they would immortalise Son as their hero and sing songs about him had he stuck that in. It would have been horrible.

And what gets me most is that there is no chance in hell that Woolwich would have done the same if roles reversed. They would have rolled over and had their bellies tickled. We experienced this ourselves in the Leicester season but people are quick to forget!

If you wanted us to win that game, you're not actually Spurs sorry. You might think you are but you've outed yourself. A few on here have been exposed.

Yep

Had multiple Woolwich fans say us giving them the title would be only beaten by winning the title at our ground again. Don't want any part of that thanks.

We had our chance to mess it up by beating them and fluffed the lines. Also a draw did nothing for us in regard to top 4 and despite Palaces upturn in form we still go into the last game needing them to beat a Villa side that are also in good form.

We blew top 4 after doing the work to get it by beating Villa. And the team and manager need to look it the mirror for that. But ain't no fucking anyway anyone who's a spurs fan wants to do anything to help Woolwich when we get no real benefit for it also.

5 Agreed. It's pure arrogance blaming the fans when his own tactical naivety is the reason for not only resulting in 5 losses in 6 but also getting hampered by all our biggest rivals.

He is the one who needs to earn our respect. Recent results and his outburst do not help. If he stumbles yet again against Sheffield on Sunday, I see no reason why he should continue. Seems like a toxic figure, contrary to what we thought at the beginning.
Great post. And when you see 5 losses from 6 typed out in front of you it really does hammer home the disgraceful, disgusting end of season collapse he's presided over.
And let's not forget the absence of European football and domestic cup involvement so there really is zero excuse.

If ANY previous manager had presided over this run those same people making excuses now would have been frothing at the mouth demanding blood.

And then they wonder why some of us liken it to some kind of weird cult like phenomenon 🤷‍♂️

To be honest it’s been more than 2 thirds of the season. Onyl the first 10 games were semi decent even then we were lucky in some games. Add on the cup knockouts and his complete disregard for our own youth integration.
He's had a fucking horrible last four months he has under performed as much as the players and his handling of the media has been cringe. He desperately needs an experienced coach and he needs at least three top quality attacking footballers. Right now I don't see any step down from what he has brought to any of. Sliva Iraola or any number of options. I think in terms of getting it right Fabio Paratici is still the most important and valuable man at the club. Which is scary. Oh can I go on record having met him I really like Ange Postecoglou the man.

Last edited:
Out of his depth finishing fifth, no Harry Kane and a mismatch team from other managers?!

Yeah right! 😂

Have you actually watched us since the Chavs raped us on 6 November ?

The football has been shite or can’t you tell the difference?

We’ve lost 6 out of the last 7 and just scraped a win against Burnley ffs who nearly beat us?

Are you blind?

When was the last time we kept a clean sheet?

Come back Nuno all is forgiven

:nunothumb:

Some right Karen's in our fanbase

Aren’t you just!!

Hungry Nyc GIF by 8it

As someone stated in the comments, kicked out for telling the truth.

So I’m told that some of the players were told some home truths by a group of staff and ex players a day before the game.

That fact made it back to Ange and he was furious. Hence the foul mood last night and the comments post match. He doesn’t give a fuck about rivalry whereas the ex players understand what the reaction would be if we hand it to Woolwich.
It's fine if he doesn't care about the rivalry. He just doesn't have to come out and say that publicly. Why go looking for battles to fight in the middle of a 1-5 run? Fix the things you can and let the rest go.

Not sure anyone's posted this yet, if so apologies (but it answers a couple of questions):

After Tottenham Hotspur pushed Manchester City all the way to the end, producing their best performance in months, it felt, for a few happy minutes, as if this could be the starting point for some optimism at Spurs. This pragmatic, innovative performance could even light the way for Ange Postecoglou’s second season at the club.

But when Postecoglou walked into his press conference soon after the final whistle, he instantly blew away any hope that this might be a positive evening for the club.

This was the most explosive press conference delivered by a Spurs manager since Antonio Conte ended his tenure with that infamous performance in Southampton in March 2023. Postecoglou was brought in two months later to be the anti-Conte, and while he was not quite as wilfully destructive as the Italian, you could almost hear the ghost of Conte in Postecoglou’s words.

It all started when Postecoglou was asked whether Tuesday evening’s performance could be the foundation for what Spurs do next season. (You could certainly see why it might be: Spurs tried a new formation, worked hard, restricted City and, on another day, could have taken something.)

But, instead, Postecoglou silenced the room when he said that “the last 48 hours has revealed to me that the foundations are fairly fragile”. It was the most surprising and jarring thing Postecoglou has said during his time in north London.

It was the type of comment that has to be unpacked, but Postecoglou would only go so far in doing so. He said that “the last 48 hours have revealed a fair bit to me” and this means that he has “got to go back to the drawing board with some things”. Again, Postecoglou was asked to clarify and expand on who exactly he was angry with and why, but again, he did not want to get drawn into too many specifics.

Asked whether his frustrations were outside or inside the club, Postecoglou said they were “outside, inside, everywhere”. Asked again to move into specifics — whether he meant his players — Postecoglou again refused to engage.

“I’m not going to tell you because it’s for me,” he snapped. “I probably misread the situation as to what I think is important in the endeavour to become a winning team, but that’s OK. That’s why I’m here.” (At this moment, he could hardly have sounded more Conte, cursing himself for not understanding the size of the job in changing the mentality here.)

Clearly, Postecoglou was not happy with the sense that a lot of fans were relaxed about Spurs not winning this game because they did not want Woolwich to win the league. He was clear in his message on Monday that he had no interest in “bragging rights” when there was a game to be won and habits to instil.

But here, after a night when Spurs fans were louder when they were losing than drawing and when Postecoglou himself got drawn into angry exchanges with a fan behind the dugout, he could not hide his feelings.

“Maybe I’m out of step but I just don’t care. I just want to win,” Postecoglou said when asked whether the Woolwich rivalry had been a factor. “I want to be successful at this football club. It’s why I was brought in. So other people, how they want to feel and what their priorities are, are of zero interest to me. I know what’s important to build a winning team. That’s what I need to concentrate on.”

When asked whether Tuesday’s subdued atmosphere affected Tottenham’s players, given how loud the stadium was earlier this season, Postecoglou said yes. “Of course it does,” he answered. “I can’t dictate what people do. They’re allowed to express themselves any way they want but, yeah, when we’ve got late winners in games, it’s because the crowd’s helped us.”

But even then, frustration at fans cannot sufficiently explain Postecoglou’s comments. He said that his issues were outside and inside the club, remember. And he said that they would force him back to the drawing board. Fans are ultimately outside of the manager’s control, so did he mean an issue closer to home?

So Postecoglou was asked whether he had an issue with his players, but he refused to criticise them in public. “Unless I was watching a different game, we matched it with the best team in the land for the last four years, unless someone saw it differently,” he said. “Why wouldn’t I be happy if we’ve matched the team that is kind of the benchmark? Yeah, I was happy with the application.”

Ultimately, Postecoglou left it open who exactly inside the club he was unhappy with. He must have known that by not making his complaints more clear, he would unleash a cycle of speculation about what exactly had upset him. Some may ask whether he was playing politics with the board over transfers — another Conte throwback — but Postecoglou insisted this had “nothing to do with summer plans”, which are already in place.

The generous interpretation of Postecoglou’s comments is that this is all part of trying to ensure the football club — board, staff, players, fans — makes that mental leap into competitiveness and ambition. He kept coming back to the importance of becoming a “winning team” and after a few days dominated by talk about not winning, his sporting ego will have been challenged.

So much of this season has been about positivity, shared ethos and goals, and perhaps Postecoglou decided it was time to switch to bad cop, to replace the carrot with the stick.

But many people will read this and fear this is a repeat of ‘the history of Tottenham’. So many Spurs managers have started well and seen their tenures descend into acrimony and frustration, exasperated by their inability to steer this ship where they want it to go. Postecoglou was meant to be different, replacing the friction of the Jose Mourinho and Conte eras with unity, togetherness and optimism.

But less than one year in, he is already making similar noises, criticising the mentality of those around him, as if he hopes to shame them into becoming more like him. It is a risky move and no one who has tried it before has come out on top. The question is whether this is a new phase or just a brief moment after a strange few days at the end of a tiring first season.

For what it's worth, I think the last few games have fucked Ange right off, he doesn't like losing, then on top of that he just got a bit fucked off with all the talk of Spurs not wanting to win and not trying to win etc, when it's very much against his ethos. Apparently a couple of people on the spurs staff were joking at him about throwing the game and picking youth sides, which pissed him off as well.

Basically, the combination of losing a bunch of games (all to rival teams as well), conceding really soft goals, followed by lots of people inside (staff etc) and outside (media/fans) the club talking about wanting to lose another big game, then losing another big game we'd played reasonably well in, I think just fucked him into blowing a bit of a gasket.

Let's not forget, his job's on the line here. He wants to win every game (especially after losing a bunch of games lately) and wants a team that wants to win every game. We still had a chance of CL football. I think he felt the attitude around the club in the last 48 hours was really fucking losery.

Have you actually watched us since the Chavs raped us on 6 November ?

The football has been shite or can’t you tell the difference?

We’ve lost 6 out of the last 7 and just scraped a win against Burnley ffs who nearly beat us?

Are you blind?

When was the last time we kept a clean sheet?

Come back Nuno all is forgiven

:nunothumb:
Yea~those first 10 games were a mirage. After they figured us out we have been worse than Nunu...

Ange: 11-7-12 is pretty terrible. I mean horrific if you tell me... bottom feeders since then...

Back
Top Bottom