Another new manager poll (apologies)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which of the 3 favourites would you pick as new manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting to look back at this poll and see Poch was our least wanted of the final 3 favourites.

I myself voted for De Boer.

Fuck me I wouldn't change our decision now though.

It might be early days, but we can all see the changes and positivity around the club. Not to say De Boer wouldn't have had a good start, but I struggle to see how he could have bettered Poch so far.

And THAT is why Daniel Levy is in charge, and we're all on TFC pretending that we know the best decision!:pochlol:

Just a few numbers

Pochettino's record with Saints - 38% win rate
AVB's record - 55% win rate
Sherwood's record - 50% win rate
Frank dB - 60% win rate (only 33% in Europe with a -19 GD)
Benitez - England only - 59%
- Overall - 51%

Not sure it's really fair to compare by win percentages, all the other managers listed have all managed bigger/more successful clubs than Southampton so you'd generally expect the win percentage at that club to be higher anyway.

Shocked to see more votes for Benitez than Pochettino. Understand the difference in experience... But Benitez is a boooooring cunt - tottenham don't be facetious - we don't want rafa benitez.
Rafa's 'boring' Napoli managed 77 goals - 2nd most in the league this season and only 3 behind champions Juventus

Sorry, mate but I don't think we can compare a proven European manager with 11 major trophies to his name (including the Champions Leagie and Europa League) to some nothing man who won a few games in the Prem and has been hyped up by the media and fanboys because he sat next someone famous once.

Last edited:
Don't think Arcspace is too keen on the guy, from what I have read I would say a majority would take him if FDB ain't coming, but we are hardly going to get fully agreement after all what would Spurs be if we all agreed, more fun this way.

We will never get a full concensus, in general from what Ive seen on here though while most want FDB, they would be happy enough with Pochettino.

Which is quite differerent from not wanting Pochettino, IMO.

Also I think either are about as near as we will get to the majority of fans being on board with it.

I suppose we may not ever know for sure, but I'm still quite convinced it was a mutual agreement.

I was thinking that it can't be a sacking...

I mean, just going off the normal sacking criteria, I've not seen AVB as a pundit on Soccer Saturday or ITV once since then..

:sherwoodlol::harrysmile:

Voted Benitez

Would be quite happy with Frank de Boer and terribly disappointed with the poor man's AVB

Bit harsh calling him the poor man's AVB, he has done a good job at Southampton where as AVB screwed up the Chelsea job, the fact he has been quite good in England must count for something, added to the fact he likes to play attractive football. FDB still at the top of my list, could live with Benitez, good record and has great experience in England.

Whoever we get, he'll need to jump straight into a winning streak or people will be calling for his head.
People were openly booing at AVB's second game already - I wouldn't hold my breath

Our fanbase is extremely polarised at the moment - possibly at the highest level ever

So what are we meant to compare if not the results and performance? How do you quantify his ability or even suitability?

Based on AVB, Harry and Sherwood, I'd say it seems like the uglier he is, the more suitable for the job.

Find us a munter, levy! #RiberyIn

Why would he not fit with us, especially after AVB's football?

His teams have consistently scored goals and played expansive football - if that was the main gripe with AVB surely the majority of fans should respond positively to that? And if not - what exactly is the issue with a man who has delivered in the past in Europe's top leagues

You say we should gamble but the last 2 such moves with Ramos and AVB were disasters - shouldn't we now opt for a proven, experienced name to steady the ship instead of giving some no-mark and opportunity to play real-life FM with a 200m squad and improve his CV? How many more projects can ENIC manage to handle and continue to swipe it under the carpet?

"Expansive" is certainly not the word I would use. "Boring" "Dull" or "Tedious" would be. Ive mentioned it a few times - his teams do score goals, I think it was the year they finished 2nd under him they scored more than anyone (by a distance), and yet were the dullest team imaginable. Its coutner intuitive, but its the way it was.

There is no adventure to his sides, no real attacking philosophy, just a grind them down - pick them off kind of ethos. I genuinely do not think that will be well recieved here at all.

Aside from which he is frankly mad in the transfer market, and left Liverpool in a real mess. And he has proven he will crack under pressue. Again, not features I think will appeal to Spurs fans - as I said - "known".

I actually think a little excitement and hope in a lesser known quantity would be better recieved.

As to gambles I would say Jol was a gamble, and was a success. I would also say Redknapp was a gamble and its certainly hard to argue with his record.

For me experience is nice, its not essential. What do we want in a manager? Find one with as many of those attributes as possible.

For me entertaining, positive football is a must. A tactical blueprint, promotion of youth, development of players are all key too. There is plenty more beside. Both Pochettino and FDB tick more boxes than Benitez for me.

Voted Benitez

Would be quite happy with Frank de Boer and terribly disappointed with the poor man's AVB

Not calling you out personally ArcspacE ArcspacE but it is also reactions like this which make me think Pochettino is a bad choice. He will divide fans straight away with a number wanting his head after 1 game just because they feel he's similar to AVB. Frank De Boer at least commands respect from his time as a playe (I hope).

Benitez because you know what you are getting. Another bad manager choice at this stage and we could easily go back ten years. I think a lot if people need to realise that we need to undo the damage of the last couple of seasons where we should have pushed on following redknapps departure but instead stepped backwards.
Let's steady the ship, get competitive again, then if Benitez doesn't take us forward enough (which he might anyhow) then go for the next appointment that fits an improved spurs in a couple if seasons time.

If you have a contract and you argue with the boss and walk out during a meeting saying "I quit" then it's not a sacking, but if your boss says "do you think you should stay" and you say "I don't think I can do the job any more" and your boss agrees, what is that? I think that's more likely to be what happened, and it's neither sacking or resigning, just kind of mutual

This is about exactly what I think happened. Levy met with him, stated the problems, AVB likely stated that he felt he was being blamed unfairly and was past a point where he felt he could rectify the situation due to damages done, and the two decided parting ways was in the best interest of the club. Midseason sackings are usually the result of emergency, and it didn't appear to me we had reached such a situation as of that point even after getting waxed at home by Liverpool. So given the lack of particularly extraneous circumstances, I think it's only reasonable therefore to assume the two men came to an extraneous agreement.

All the stuff I've read about him feels like it could've been lifted word for word from an article on AVB at Porto. At least AVB had done well in Europe to counter the fact he'd only excelled in one "one fish" league.

That's fair, but the points made within have to be taken into some context. The biggest difference for me is that AVB directly inherited an extremely strong squad and succeeded in one year, while de Boer has had to field kids in a constantly evolving squad (especially at key positions) due to relentless poaching from Europe's biggest. De Boer has simply adapted the players coming through in replacement to adjust his system to make them effective while yet adhering to his plan. Given AVB's incredible stubbornness for his system, I'm not sure he would've prospered as well relatively speaking after that Porto squad was ripped apart by Europe's wealthiest clubs.

Back
Top Bottom