Another new manager poll (apologies)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which of the 3 favourites would you pick as new manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im not talking about "that" sort of entertainment. Im expressing why I think scoring goals is not necessarily indicative of a positive, attacking team.

Football by numbers, doesnt really do it for me.

And Ive found Bentiez team as equally boring to watch as Mourinhos, even if they arent set up the same (but still score plenty)
I watched a fair bit of Saints this season as well as Napoli for that matter - I'd say the latter played, equally, if not 'better' football and one easier on the eye. Yes, different calibre of players granted but tactical parallels can be drawn. He's not on Mourinho's level in terms of 'pragmatism', imv

Last edited:
Just out of interest - prior to AVB's arrival (and his record at Port) would you have described him as

- attacking manager who plays entertaining football
- tactically astute manager who plays defensive football

AVB is quite odd, he plays pressing/high line football but with the objective of denying the opposition the ball rather than always trying to score, a sort of very unadventurous Barca, I view this as a very negative form of football but others may disagree. Possession football in general when taken to extreames is for me the most negative form of football there is, holding the ball to prevent the opposition trying anything. Although it is very clever tactically.

I watched a fair bit of Saints this season as well as Napoli for that matter - I'd say the latter played, equally, if not 'better' football and one easier on the eye. Yes, different calibre of players granted but tactical parallels can be drawn. He's not on Mourinho's level in terms of 'pragmatism', imv

All about opinions, isnt it? I respect your right to have one, even if I disagree. I wont call it "Laughable" either.

Just out of interest - prior to AVB's arrival (and his record at Porto) would you have described him as

- attacking manager who plays entertaining football
- tactically astute manager who plays defensive football

The two are not mutually exclusive my friend. AVB I would have said favored an attacking, high pressing 4-3-3 which should be very entertaining. However, with 7 signings to bed in to a new team and new league. You'd be smart to mind your defense first.. AVB was the type of manager I would have loved to see stay at the club for a long time to get his vision through.

The two are not mutually exclusive my friend. AVB I would have said favored an attacking, high pressing 4-3-3 which should be very entertaining. However, with 7 signings to bed in to a new team and new league. You'd be smart to mind your defense first.. AVB was the type of manager I would have loved to see stay at the club for a long time to get his vision through.

Where do you get this idea that AVB had an idea or a vision? We were the longest appointment of his career.

Where do you get this idea that AVB had an idea or a vision? We were the longest appointment of his career.

And he brought us to our record points tally. You could also argue it was under his management Bale became the world's most expensive player. You could further argue that he started the season in a solid fashion but that his inverted wingplay failed him time and time again, which potentially would not be so had he got the signings he wanted (mainly thinking about Hulk and Coentrao) instead of what Baldini/Levy chose.

Where do you get the idea he didn't have a vision or an idea?

He had a vision, but unfortunately it was short sightedness.

I think we were the first team he'd ever gone into a second season with, so it was always a gamble.

Cant believe Ranieri got sacked for winning promotion and then finishing second to only PSG

Out of interest, would anyone now consider Ranieri a left-field choice?

Seems to have always done a good job at most of his clubs, whilst being on the wrong side of good luck in each season. Can't remember the style of football his teams play, though..

Out of interest, would anyone now consider Ranieri a left-field choice?

Seems to have always done a good job at most of his clubs, whilst being on the wrong side of good luck in each season. Can't remember the style of football his teams play, though..

Proper Spurs material then

Valencia
On 8 June 2004, he returned for a second stint as coach of Valencia on a three-year contract.[5] Ranieri took over after Rafael Benítez, the manager who had led Valencia to the UEFA Cup and La Liga double the previous season, resigned and then promptly joined Liverpool. Ranieri made a series of signings from Serie A, including Marco Di Vaio, Stefano Fiore, Bernardo Corradi, and Emiliano Moretti. After a bright start, in which the Mestalla outfit picked up 14 out of a possible 18 points and beat Porto to lift the UEFA Super Cup, Valencia went into a slump starting in October. They won only once in 7 games and were knocked out of the Champions League, partly thanks to a 5–1 defeat to Inter Milan in which midfielder Miguel Ángel Angulo was sent off for spitting. After a brief revival, Valencia went another 6 games without a win beginning mid-January. Apart from the unpopularity of his four Italian signings Ranieri was criticised for not playing Argentine playmaker Pablo Aimar and for persistent changes to formations and tactics, something resembling his Chelsea days. He was sacked on 25 February 2005 after Valencia were knocked out of the UEFA Cup by Steaua Bucureşti.[6] Valencia were sixth in La Liga at the time of Ranieri's sacking.[7] Quique Sánchez Flores was announced by Valencia in June 2005 to be Ranieri's long term successor. Prior to that Ranieri had picked up £3million from Valencia for the premature termination of his contract.
Sounds pretty fucking Spursy to me...
:chadliblow:

Ranieri was linked with several managing jobs, including Fulham,[9] Manchester City,[10] and Palermo.[11] On 16 May 2007, William Hill suspended betting on him becoming Manchester City manager following a flurry of betting activity.[12] On 31 May, Parma announced Ranieri would not be the club's manager for the following season.[13]
:harrylol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudio_Ranieri

Back
Top Bottom