Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Man, a player being honest about Conte rather than pretending the collapse was all his fault and that he was the devil?

Rate it. Davies is an intelligent guy.
What?!!?

We were fucking fantastic in this period (it was half a season-long spell approx post-Burnley rant when we started to click), everyone could see it. The football was good too.

Pundits and Spurs fans alike were really positive about the new season ahead. Many saying we could be title contenders.

Then what followed the next season was just a tragic bunch of shite.

Davies speaks to ONLY this period. He is NOT speaking about the garbage the 4th highest paid manager in the World delivered the following season.

Man, a player being honest about Conte rather than pretending the collapse was all his fault and that he was the devil?

Rate it. Davies is an intelligent guy.

Player speaking highly of manager who picked him shock.

He makes no mention of the second season where Conte went into an funk and effectively lost interest and we turned to utter shite.

Even if Conte had the players we bought this season it still wouldn't have worked, the man has no patience for a rebuild, that's not in his MO. He'd want us competing with the top 3 and he'd want to have the kind of squad depth the top 3 would have had, we as a club don't and probably won't ever operate the way he likes his clubs to behave.

People just need to accept that the two parties were never meant for each other.

Even if Conte had the players we bought this season it still wouldn't have worked, the man has no patience for a rebuild, that's not in his MO. He'd want us competing with the top 3 and he'd want to have the kind of squad depth the top 3 would have had, we as a club don't and probably won't ever operate the way he likes his clubs to behave.

People just need to accept that the two parties were never meant for each other.
At the time I actually believed all that bullshit when he said he was in it for the long haul of a rebuild.
He never had any intention of staying beyond those 18 months and even then he didn’t manage to see that contract out.

It's like people have selectively blocked it all out. The man quit and I'm not at all convinced he EVER want to manage the club.
He did worse than quit, he bottled it.

I genuinely believe what was going on in his personal life was a contributor (without knowing him personally it's impossible to know just how much). I thought the Club went above and beyond to support him too. What's odd too, is the comments on Twitter following on from that tweet, many saying "if only we backed him". The reality is that no manager in our history has spent more than him (Jose prior to him held the record).

He could have come out with so much more credit by walking away (even if it was temporary) citing personal reasons and wishing the Club well and tanking them for supporting him etc etc blah, blah, blah. Instead, his greed and ego played their hand and he acted like a bottling cunt.

There is no rewrite that needs to be done here:

1. We made him one of the highest-paid managers in the history of the game.
2. He received an unprecedented amount of money to spend.
3. He did a fantastic job in his first season (not as quick an impact as Ange has had as his first few months were ropey, but I expect this as new ideas are instilled. But this really clicked 2nd half of the season and we were seriously good, and the football was enjoyable to watch as we quickly played through the thirds from the back).
4. We were shit from the first game of the season. To quantify; we couldn't replicate how we played in the 2nd half of the season before. Although under Conte we never dropped out of the top 5, spending approx 60% of his last spell in the top 4, the football was tragic, and the underlying stats (many matrices) all pointed to us being really bad and this is the crux, worse than the season before.

I want us in the Champions League next season and I want us to knockout that grubby little man's AC Milan (if he hasn't quit in a tantrum by then)

He always acted as if he was doing us a favour despite him picking up a massive salary and being backed to the hilt.

He just quit in the end like the spoiled child he is.

He did worse than quit, he bottled it.

I genuinely believe what was going on in his personal life was a contributor (without knowing him personally it's impossible to know just how much). I thought the Club went above and beyond to support him too. What's odd too, is the comments on Twitter following on from that tweet, many saying "if only we backed him". The reality is that no manager in our history has spent more than him (Jose prior to him held the record).

He could have come out with so much more credit by walking away (even if it was temporary) citing personal reasons and wishing the Club well and tanking them for supporting him etc etc blah, blah, blah. Instead, his greed and ego played their hand and he acted like a bottling cunt.

There is no rewrite that needs to be done here:

1. We made him one of the highest-paid managers in the history of the game.
2. He received an unprecedented amount of money to spend.
3. He did a fantastic job in his first season (not as quick an impact as Ange has had as his first few months were ropey, but I expect this as new ideas are instilled. But this really clicked 2nd half of the season and we were seriously good, and the football was enjoyable to watch as we quickly played through the thirds from the back).
4. We were shit from the first game of the season. To quantify; we couldn't replicate how we played in the 2nd half of the season before. Although under Conte we never dropped out of the top 5, spending approx 60% of his last spell in the top 4, the football was tragic, and the underlying stats (many matrices) all pointed to us being really bad and this is the crux, worse than the season before.
100% this. I'd also add that my partner warned me about him even when things were going well with him. She is Milanese and some of her family support Inter she said he is what he is a small man with a temper a rock solid belife in himself but zero patience and very little flexibility.

At one point after we made the ECL at Woolwich expense I had a few mates round and we were drinking and laughing at our triumph. A few of us were saying stuff like title run next. My Mrs said "Has his wife and child moved here ? " We answered no, and she goes he won't be here much beyond another year then. And he will find a way to fall out with people first. Its who he is. As you can imagine I didn't want to hear it. He's an odd man and it was never a match that would work. Whatever happens with Ange we must never recruit against type again.

We play progressive front foot football , we like to integrate youth prospects and we buy players 25yrs old and under with and eye to the next superstar in making. Whenever we got this right, from Lennon and Huddelstone under Jol, or Bale under Redknapp we have improved.

100% this. I'd also add that my partner warned me about him even when things were going well with him. She is Milanese and some of her family support Inter she said he is what he is a small man with a temper a rock solid belife in himself but zero patience and very little flexibility.

At one point after we made the ECL at Woolwich expense I had a few mates round and we were drinking and laughing at our triumph. A few of us were saying stuff like title run next. My Mrs said "Has his wife and child moved here ? " We answered no, and she goes he won't be here much beyond another year then. And he will find a way to fall out with people first. Its who he is. As you can imagine I didn't want to hear it. He's an odd man and it was never a match that would work. Whatever happens with Ange we must never recruit against type again.

We play progressive front foot football , we like to integrate youth prospects and we buy players 25yrs old and under with and eye to the next superstar in making. Whenever we got this right, from Lennon and Huddelstone under Jol, or Bale under Redknapp we have improved.
100%

There are loads of coaches that look to play a progressive style of football, some better than others, some perhaps with genuine innovation (both De Zerbi & Ange are in that category for me, and possibly Alonso too but I don't think he's doing anything radical other than being brilliant in his execution), and when changing coaches anyone one will not be a disaster, just probably meh or no improvement, which is okay because you can sack him and appoint another until you get the lift/improvement needed. It's only been a disaster when we've gone 180 degrees in the opposite direction of paying style.

Have belief in the way you want to play and commit 100% to it, with every dept functioning behind that vision, across all age groups and live and breathe it.

Was so excited when he first came but didn’t take long for the mask to slip did it,at first it was all ‘I am very happy at Tottenham’,
to then totally putting us down,basically belittling the club at every opportunity couldn’t stand the fucker towards the end.

Was so excited when he first came but didn’t take long for the mask to slip did it,at first it was all ‘I am very happy at Tottenham’,
to then totally putting us down,basically belittling the club at every opportunity couldn’t stand the fucker towards the end.
We have never had a coach be more disrespectful about our club than this little twat. I want his team in thd ECL and we batter them home and away.

Back
Top Bottom