Antwerp v Spurs (Thursday 29th October @ 17.55)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Please tell me which reserve is pushing really hard to get in the team?
I'm surprised we didn't play Clarke as he could not have been worse than Bergy, Dele or Bale.
We have NOBODY CREATIVE if GLC isn't fully fit.
Hojberg and Winks create little and our forwards tonight were ineffective.
Still confused as to why he didn't keep Vinnie on and try him with Son ?
Hard question, but who clear could have opportunities in my view are Vinicius, Rodon, that was not tested yet, Lamela, who always give 100%, Bale, who needs to improve his fitness, and Aurier and Doherty seems to be fighting for the spot, no clear starter there.

Agree with you that we don't have enough creative players, that's why Kane moved for the 10 role. If we manage to play Kane, Lo Celso and Ndombele, with Regui and Doherty or Aurier attacking the sides we should do fine for a while. But really short of creative options in ou AM's and our midfield depth is really poor as well.

I think our depth is incomparably better to what we have ever had.

But one thing is depth, the other is to expect that making so many changes to the starting team can work immediately. Maybe they all believed that it was going to work, but it didn't. I think that the players didn't look comfortable enough with each other to play the ball quickly and to know immediately what to do when they got the ball.
Players were rubbish in the first half, except for Vinnie and GLC.
You only have depth if they play when picked.
Dele is another Rose in the making. Sulky, lethargic.
Let's hope Clarke, Cirkin, etc want to fight their way into the team.

Perhaps explain your "book" then....

- We dominated Newcastle but didn't score.
- Everton: We chugged away but created little.

Neither equate to "complacency"

You went back and edited one of your posts to mention Shkëndija..... We put 7 past them FFS!

Repeating it doesn't make it true.

If were are to compete on 4 fronts then even the back 4 needs to be rotated... This season more than ever before.
Sorry mixed up Shkendija and Plovdiv! It was one of the Balkans teams in qualifying.

Not putting Newcastle away despite having chances and sitting on a one goal lead equated (in my view) to complacency. I.e. "look how well we defend a one goal lead" - until we didn't. Life's too short to argue the meaning of complacent - you don't think we are, I do.

I've said it many times - our defensive unit (including the keeper) should be played consistently unless and until injury demands it. Chopping and changing (rotation) every game is nonsense. Decent centre backs do very little running around - unless of course you're Sanchez or Dier. Vertonghen and Alderweireld in their pomp rarely broke sweat.

I was very busy with work but I kind of made this point this morning. I said I'd not be joining the communal blow bang of Jose that had begun because if you look at our form this season it is not the rosey picture being painted. It's swinging from bad to good with very little consistency. There are things to be happy with and equal measure of concerns. Can some kind person give me their take on what happened. Jose seems to be taking the blame in interviews saying he picked the wrong team, whilst in typical jose fashion making it clear individuals let us down.
It’s still a building game right now, so if we are honest blowing a team away one week followed by a “shock” defeat is gonna happen, we experienced all the above in one game against West Ham.....

Going forward we are damn good, at the back we are damn bad (maybe a bit harsh, more like “average”)...put the 2016/17 defence in there and you could just about hand us the title, but unfortunately that’s not how it works....

Players were rubbish in the first half, except for Vinnie and GLC.
You only have depth if they play when picked.
Dele is another Rose in the making. Sulky, lethargic.
Let's hope Clarke, Cirkin, etc want to fight their way into the team.
I agree on your first sentence and in particular for the defence there is no excuse, but to me one thing is making a couple of subs, another is to make a complete different front line who plays their second competitive game together
As painful as it was, it was a good call, as this is a game that we could have lost without compromising anything.

I would love to see again that side which tore into the very heart of West Ham and ripped it apart within the first 20 minutes. The passion, the speed, the movement was a joy to behold but then someone pulled the switch and the light hasn't really come back on since. Is it perhaps the disappointment of only drawing that game which still lingers maybe ??.
Let's hope we massacre Brighton and get back on track this weekend.
:coys:

Not many positives to take from that. But also not really concerned either, we were always going to lose an away game sooner or later. European away games are always tough, even in Europa.

Sorry mixed up Shkendija and Plovdiv! It was one of the Balkans teams in qualifying.

Not putting Newcastle away despite having chances and sitting on a one goal lead equated (in my view) to complacency. I.e. "look how well we defend a one goal lead" - until we didn't.

Sorry, fella but that's just guff... Not converting chances doesn't equate to complacency.... Nor does being fucked over 3 times in rapid succession on the way to them scoring a 94th minute penalty. 99.9 times out of 100 we deservedly win that game.

I see you opted not to add any substance to your case re: Everton.

Perhaps give it up, eh..... :roll:

I've said it many times - our defensive unit (including the keeper) should be played consistently unless and until injury demands it. Chopping and changing (rotation) every game is nonsense. Decent centre backs do very little running around - unless of course you're Sanchez or Dier. Vertonghen and Alderweireld in their pomp rarely broke sweat.

Jan & Toby never had to play 4 months of consistent Sunday/Thursday football + additional LC & EL qualifiers and a similarly condensed international calendar.....

Play them til they break?

You're living in a fantasy world.

We've thrown a bunch of talented players together for this one, but they haven't really played together. The performance was bad not because they are bad individual players, but the teamwork and organisation weren't there.

I think the lesson is that we can't rotate so many players, we need to keep a few key experienced players/leaders, particularly in the 'spine' and we didn't have enough of those out there tonight. No Toby/Dier, Hojbjerg/Sissoko, Kane/Son. These are guys we need to rest, but not all at the same time.

Jose must acknowledge that the team he put out hasn't played a lot together, and so might not gel instantly, but despite his 'blame me' line, everything else he said after the game sounded more like 'blame the players'. He needs to be careful as he has form in publically criticising his players and it rarely seems to pay off. There's a long season ahead and we need the whole squad together.

Sorry, fella but that's just guff... Not converting chances doesn't equate to complacency.... Nor does being fucked over 3 times in rapid succession on the way to them scoring a 94th minute penalty. 99.9 times out of 100 we deservedly win that game.

I see you opted not to add any substance to your case re: Everton.

Perhaps give it up, eh..... :roll:

Jan & Toby never had to play 4 months of consistent Sunday/Thursday football + additional LC & EL qualifiers and a similarly condensed international calendar.....

Play them til they break?

You're living in a fantasy world.
We should have got a draw with Everton.

Play the defence consistently to create a unit that instinctively know what the others will do. Two games a week is not excessive played on bowling greens with the finest sports scientists, equipment and modern recovery techniques to aid them.

In the old days, two games a week were played on sandpits and a beer afterwards to recover.

You don't think we're complacent - I think we are.

We should have got a draw with Everton.

You don't think we're complacent - I think we are.

Jeezus... You're dreadful at this......

You're literally just saying stuff hoping that repetition will get you through.....

Play the defence consistently to create a unit that instinctively know what the others will do. Two games a week is not excessive played on bowling greens with the finest sports scientists, equipment and modern recovery techniques to aid them.

In the old days, two games a week were played on sandpits and a beer afterwards to recover.

Oh dear... Oh dear!:mourfacepalm:

Back
Top Bottom