Antwerp v Spurs (Thursday 29th October @ 17.55)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So here's my take. Jose said that it was a risky line up. He was right, it's easy to say with hindsight (and let's not forget, when the line-up was announced, people were unanimously positive, apart from maybe Hugo in goal). It was clear in the first half that it didn't gel. I doubt that anyone knows why exactly, and I imagine Jose will be asking himself a shitload of questions. He strikes me as a man who is intensely self-critical. Whatever.

So then, after a poor first half, he makes four changes (maybe in retrospect, that was too many? Who knows). And yes, we looked a very different team in the second half. My problem with that was that I thought Lo Celso and Vini looked liked our better players in the first 45. Whatever, clearly Jose had a plan, a shape in mind, and it sort of worked, we looked a lot better in the first part of the second half, but the it sort of petered out as well. Which is what I don't get. You cam blame the usuals - Winks (who I thought had a decent game, althoughI doubt anyone will agree), Sánchez, Davies, Aurier, pick your scapegoat), but hthe fact is that Kane and Son were every bit as poor as Bale, Dele and the forementioned had been. Lamela won the ball enthusiasically and then lost it, Lucas too...

So I would say, asd I've said before, the responsiblitity lies across the board, no one escapes. Thankfully, it's not a season-defining defeat, but one we certainly have to learn from sharpish

I think that's fairly unanimous tbh mate.... Like many, I assume that he was just managing Gio's minutes. I'm torn re: Vin though, in that I hope it wasn't due to any form of physical concern, but equally wouldn't want him to be left feeling scapegoated so early into his time with us.

Have only watched the highlights and they were pretty scary. Hope it’s just a blip that kicks everyone up the backside. I think the questions on Mou are fair too... but then again we probably all felt we could put out a 2nd/3rd XI and win.

I think that's fairly unanimous tbh mate.... Like many, I assume that he was just managing Gio's minutes. I'm torn re: Vin though, in that I hope it wasn't due to any form of physical concern, but equally wouldn't want him to be left feeling scapegoated so early into his time with us.
Yeah, I thought that about GLC too. I assumed the Vini one was a redrawing of the plan, I'm sure thatwill have been explained as he certainly wasn't the one to blame for the first half shitshow, far from it.

Bale on the other hand was pisspoor, Bergwijn too to a lesser extent. But as I've said before, I wouldn't pin the blame on them, rather on a s eries of things that will need to be analysed.

I thought Antwerp were excellent, especially their back three and Refaelov. They deserve a whole lot of credit as a team. They caught us on a bad night and worked really hard as a team and fully deserved their win. I hope our Belgian friend on here is enjoying it with his mates to the fullest.

So here's my take. Jose said that it was a risky line up. He was right, it's easy to say with hindsight (and let's not forget, when the line-up was announced, people were unanimously positive, apart from maybe Hugo in goal). It was clear in the first half that it didn't gel. I doubt that anyone knows why exactly, and I imagine Jose will be asking himself a shitload of questions. He strikes me as a man who is intensely self-critical. Whatever.

So then, after a poor first half, he makes four changes (maybe in retrospect, that was too many? Who knows). And yes, we looked a very different team in the second half. My problem with that was that I thought Lo Celso and Vini looked liked our better players in the first 45. Whatever, clearly Jose had a plan, a shape in mind, and it sort of worked, we looked a lot better in the first part of the second half, but that sort of petered out as well. Which is what I don't get. You can blame the usuals - Winks (who I thought had a decent game, although I doubt anyone will agree), Sánchez, Davies, Aurier, pick your scapegoat), but the fact is that Kane and Son were every bit as poor as Bale, Dele and the aforementioned had been. Lamela won the ball enthusiasically and then lost it, Lucas too...

So I would say, asd I've said before, the responsiblity lies across the board, no one escapes. Thankfully, it's not a season-defining defeat, but one we certainly have to learn from sharpish
Had Vinicius stayed, it would mean we have to push Son really wide, and may even require Kane to play as out out #10. Midfield 2 with Winks, and the CB partnership that's very limited in term of passing, and even less convincing in defending, is asking for more trouble. This defense lacks ability to win the ball quickly and ability to move the ball to our attackers. Antwerp after soaked up the early pressure in the beginning of second half, settled into game. At the same time, running up and down the flank all game wore Reguilon and Aurier out at the end. This means Antwerp got better at relieving the pressure, and increasing difficulty for us to build up and get to the front line. It's asking too much for Kane and Son to do anything different at the end. Lamela and Lucas are always like this. What they bring is some urgency and extra bit in ability to win the ball higher up the pitch. It doesn't solve the other issues behind them which to Antwerp credit they stuck to their game plan the whole game, made no mistake to give us a breather.

Last edited:
1. That's weird. They were outstanding in defence
2. True
3. True, but everyone was saying he was the answer on the left side of central defence. So either we were wrong or he just had a bad game
4. True. Everyone was to blame here, Kane included
5. 100% true
6. 100%. Especially the latter
7. Absolutely
8. I didn't think he was that bad as it goes. Or Lo Celso. Or, especially, Vini. I think, in this case, Mourinho had as ba game as the rest did.

Oh, and fuck off all those blaming Winks.
1. 4-5 nil Antwerp. They missed several at point blank.

Don't think anyone should be surprised.

Away games in the Europa league with a rotated squad against opposition we are expected to beat are nearly always dire performances, just usually come with a slim win or draw to take some of the criticism away from it.

It was a huge game for them and honestly not one we needed to win. Expect to win all our home games comfortably with enough away points to get us top spot in the group.

Not sure hacking half the team off at half time was the correct thing to do honestly. We rotated because these players need minutes - as they showed in their first half performances. I think it would have done us more favours to lose 2-0 and give them players the minutes they need, rather than bringing on the likes of Son and Kane to turn it into a win - risking their fitness and injuries.

In the grand scheme of things this result shouldn't really matter. Still feeling positive about this season.

Had Vinicius stayed, it would mean we have to push Son really wide, and may even require Kane to play as out out #10. Midfield 2 with Winks, and the CB partnership that's very limited in term of passing, and even less convincing in defending, is asking for more trouble. This defense lacks ability to win the ball quickly and ability to move the ball to our attackers. Antwerp after soaked up the early pressure in the beginning of second half, settled into game. At the same time, running up and down the flank all game wore Reguilon and Aurier out at the end. This means Antwerp got better at relieving the pressure, and increasing difficulty for us to build up and get to the front line. It's asking too much for Kane and Son to do anything different at the end. Lamela and Lucas are always like this. What they bring is some urgency and extra bit in ability to win the ball higher up the pitch. It doesn't solve the other issues behind them which to Antwerp credit they stuck to their game plan the whole game, made no mistake to give us a breather.
Good analysis. I figured out the midfield was the main problem on winning back balls and to control the game effectively. Winks was running, but he can't do any worth mentioning in terms of winning back the ball, control the game tempo or distribute smart passes. Højbjerg from start would have solved a lot of these problems.

Another issue was the will and desire to win man-to-man duells and second balls.

In second half, we were more into the game, but as RA established itself deeper we became more and more desperate to find solutions that didn't work out. Lots of similarities with the Everton game.

We need to fix our midfield-problems or we will still keep having problems with low blocking teams.

Between GLC and Winks, I have never witnessed midfielders take so many touches of the ball before moving it forward.

When GLC had the ball, you could see Bale and Sergio make runs, only for him to take 7 touches and pass it sideways.

Ndombele would have changed the game.

Which player is this?Holds onto the ball too long,looks like he is about to lose it -does lose it,fouls their player and then protests his innocence to the ref.

I think our depth is incomparably better to what we have ever had.

But one thing is depth, the other is to expect that making so many changes to the starting team can work immediately. Maybe they all believed that it was going to work, but it didn't. I think that the players didn't look comfortable enough with each other to play the ball quickly and to know immediately what to do when they got the ball.

We have depth in certain positions (attacking areas, full backs, gk) and not so much in others (cb and cm)

Antwerp were well prepared for this game, aggressive on the ball, fast on counters. Spurs seriously underestimated this team, were ponderous on the ball, unorganized. I would place responsibility for this squarely on Mourinho. He needed to prepare better for this kind of game.
Lamela, Winks, Sanchez are the players who need to be passed over.

We have depth in certain positions (attacking areas, full backs, gk) and not so much in others (cb and cm)
Yeah, I'm not sure we even have starter quality in CB 😅 And we certainly don't have depth in DM.

Right wing is a worry for me too in all honesty, with Bale far off fitness and neither Moura nor Lamela suitable for starter imo (both better as subs). I would really like a tricky playmaker type there, a different option than the direct type like Sonny, but don't think we have anyone in our squad atm (unless we do something super random like stick Lo Celso there... shades of Modric on the left there lol).

Why do we always say the opposition is well organised, everyone knows their job , etc. Why arnt we organised and our players know what they are doing within a system? I say it again we really have no style of play apart from long balls and catching teams on the break. I see no evidence of any coaching or work on set pieces. As for complacent and attitude surely JM should drumming it into the players all the time! I thought that was his speciality? How many more times are gonna to watch a game and then say hopefully they have learnt their lesson and won’t happen again! The result against Burnley was great but the performance was dier like today. I’m not sure either goalie has had to make a proper save from our attacks. Not good enough when we have invested in the squad this season. Why isn’t JM out in the technical area barking at them? Also why is it that some players can continuously make mistakes yet keep their places. Davies was awful on Monday plays today and is culpable for the goal. Where as other players are thrown to the wolves! The starting 11 cost way much more than Anterwp and a lot younger plus fresher as they all played at the weekend. Yet we looked slow, drab, not interested and lazy. Part of that is on JM he should make sure we turn up regardless of who starts. Must win v Brighton now as we have not won a home game in the PL this season. No more excuses. Need to go out there and boss the game and not talk up how good Brighton are. Which I’m afraid JM is already doing saying they are much better than Anterwp. He likesto big up the opposition too much and we them change our style of play to combat the opposition.
Good post. I agree. Individual players Højbjerg, Son, Kane, Ndombele saves Mourinho. With the ball it always looks like the players are strangers, not like a team that knows what to do. The lack of structure and a clear style of play is up to Mourinho and be hasn't delivered that. One day it's hoofball, the other something else. You can never see a pattern. That's pretty scary with a manager with all those titles.

Last edited:
Goodmorning everyone,

What a match it was last night for us, the players gave it all they had, our coach had b@lls putting up 1v1 marking defence, because we arent nearly as half skilled as the Spurs players. They really worked as a team, fighting for eachother and the coach, thats what we as fans want. Im not gonna come And gloat here because we took our 10 to 1 shot and won. Its just the beauty of football, everyone can beat anyone. Im pretty sure u guys will win the return, just a small hick up for the Spurs, not a big deal for you. For us it was like I said before one of THE games of the season, and our players acted like it. Still feels like somewhat like a hollow victory because if it wasnt for covid I woulda been in the stadium and probably still be in the café right now and not prepping for work. So as a fan its a weird feeling, we couldnt celebrate our cup win and now we cant celebrate our most famous win in recent history. It blows.

And also i seen comments here about Haroun (the 35yr old lol) in the beginning of the season he was tested as one of the top3 players of the league with the best endurance and he still is pretty fast to, hes bad at the last pass and finishing but he sprints from goal line to goal line like Husain Bolt lol and back. And our nr 4 Seck, believe it our not we bought him from a Saudi or Qatar team for 25.000€, and hes been a monster in defence, he had matches hes a one man army, not the finest of players but a No nonsense type a player.

Thank you all for the kind words for my team and the friendly hello I got here.

No man overboard for u guys, u will still easily qualify for the knock out stages and I hope u kill in the Prem! Dont let man shitty win the league pls. Have a great friday all! Belgian beers for all the lads and chocolates for your ladies!

Don't think anyone should be surprised.

Away games in the Europa league with a rotated squad against opposition we are expected to beat are nearly always dire performances, just usually come with a slim win or draw to take some of the criticism away from it.

It was a huge game for them and honestly not one we needed to win. Expect to win all our home games comfortably with enough away points to get us top spot in the group.

Not sure hacking half the team off at half time was the correct thing to do honestly. We rotated because these players need minutes - as they showed in their first half performances. I think it would have done us more favours to lose 2-0 and give them players the minutes they need, rather than bringing on the likes of Son and Kane to turn it into a win - risking their fitness and injuries.

In the grand scheme of things this result shouldn't really matter. Still feeling positive about this season.

This is always the most annoying thing about Europa. Heavy rotation and everyone’s expectation to win always delivers shit performances.

For all your opponents it’s their biggest game of the season and for us it’s “where the fuck is that”:

Win our home games we should be ok. Just need to get out the groups any way possible

Goodmorning everyone,

What a match it was last night for us, the players gave it all they had, our coach had b@lls putting up 1v1 marking defence, because we arent nearly as half skilled as the Spurs players. They really worked as a team, fighting for eachother and the coach, thats what we as fans want. Im not gonna come And gloat here because we took our 10 to 1 shot and won. Its just the beauty of football, everyone can beat anyone. Im pretty sure u guys will win the return, just a small hick up for the Spurs, not a big deal for you. For us it was like I said before one of THE games of the season, and our players acted like it. Still feels like somewhat like a hollow victory because if it wasnt for covid I woulda been in the stadium and probably still be in the café right now and not prepping for work. So as a fan its a weird feeling, we couldnt celebrate our cup win and now we cant celebrate our most famous win in recent history. It blows.

And also i seen comments here about Haroun (the 35yr old lol) in the beginning of the season he was tested as one of the top3 players of the league with the best endurance and he still is pretty fast to, hes bad at the last pass and finishing but he sprints from goal line to goal line like Husain Bolt lol and back. And our nr 4 Seck, believe it our not we bought him from a Saudi or Qatar team for 25.000€, and hes been a monster in defence, he had matches hes a one man army, not the finest of players but a No nonsense type a player.

Thank you all for the kind words for my team and the friendly hello I got here.

No man overboard for u guys, u will still easily qualify for the knock out stages and I hope u kill in the Prem! Dont let man shitty win the league pls. Have a great friday all! Belgian beers for all the lads and chocolates for your ladies!

Morning , well done on the victory.. a well marshalled defensive unit and rather unfortunate not to score a few more!
Hopefully we will now give you more respect in the reverse tie!

Back
Top Bottom