Anyone can win this title 20 -21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As brutal as the schedule was, this last week looks to have done us the world of good.... And that includes the Newcastle debacle.

.....Add to that the timely reprieve of the buy against Orient and it feels like the road has opened up in front of us.

4 fronts... Let's see where it takes us.

COYS!!! :tobyarm:

CB this. CB that.

Leicester City won a Premier League title with Robert Huth and Wes Morgan as their centre back pairing - I refuse to believe a Spurs team that have conceded just 1 goal from open play in their last 6 league games is bad enough that it can't win the league when last seasons league title centre back pairing just got 7 shipped passed them.

It's always about squad depth and luck. We certainly have the depth. If we can keep relatively injury free and get bits of luck that can fall our way we have every chance.

FFS we have Jose Mourinho as our manager - only 7 managers in the entire history of English football have won more English league titles than him and only 1 manager in Premier League history has won more Premier League trophies than him.

We have Harry Kane, arguably the most complete striker in world football. Gareth Bale, who has scored in more Champions League finals than we've actually been in. Son Heung-Min, one of the best attacking forwards in the world when on form. A World Cup winning goalkeeper in Hugo Lloris.

Believe.

No reason we can't win the title. With Kane, Bale, and Son all fit and firing we will have the best 3 forwards in the league - not only the best group, but arguably the #1, #2, and #3 individually. And for once we have the depth to survive in the spring.

CB this. CB that.

Leicester City won a Premier League title with Robert Huth and Wes Morgan as their centre back pairing - I refuse to believe a Spurs team that have conceded just 1 goal from open play in their last 6 league games is bad enough that it can't win the league when last seasons league title centre back pairing just got 7 shipped passed them.

It's always about squad depth and luck. We certainly have the depth. If we can keep relatively injury free and get bits of luck that can fall our way we have every chance.

FFS we have Jose Mourinho as our manager - only 7 managers in the entire history of English football have won more English league titles than him and only 1 manager in Premier League history has won more Premier League trophies than him.

We have Harry Kane, arguably the most complete striker in world football. Gareth Bale, who has scored in more Champions League finals than we've actually been in. Son Heung-Min, one of the best attacking forwards in the world when on form. A World Cup winning goalkeeper in Hugo Lloris.

Believe.
I think we would push all front, and challenge for the league if opportunity appears. Just don't think it's healthy to put expectation and pressure on the team about winning the league. One game at a time. Have belief in ourselves but also respect opposition.

Clearly if we can add that extra quality in CB position, that's gold. We can see how Liverpool changed their fortunate quickly with a top quality CB from the time they got thrashed by us in first half of the season, then they made a CL final at the end of the same season. At top level, margin of error is so small. One mistake cost you the whole campaign. Take the penalty we conceded today for example. Man U was terrible, but if it's against stronger team, it would be mountain to climb, especially in cup game.

We try our best on and off the pitch. If can't do it, so be it, good effort. If we can, why not? That's the spirit.

Last edited:
Of course we have a good chance, but the results against Newcastle and Everton can't be ignored. Those are the games where you should guarantee 3 points if you expect to win the title.

Lamela, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Bale, Kane and Son have all missed time through on going injuries and we cannot bank on them playing even half of the games this season across 4 competitions.

Liverpool won last season because their best players barely missed any football - TAA (38), Robertson(36), Mane(35), Salah(34), Firmino (38) , VVD (38).

Compared to us, only Winks, Toby, Moura and Aurier managed more than 30 games.

If Ndombele, Kane, Son, Lo Celso, Holberg can put into 32+ games each in the EPL; we have every chance of winning it. Adding Bale as our wildcard with 20+ games gives us a real head start.

We had a great team under Poch and pushed teams all the way.. The difference we have now is that ruthless streak and winning mentality, along with a great team..

Put that together and you have ................................................................?

I got on Paddypower at 75/1 last week, paying out 1/3 on second, so went £25 (max stake they would take) each way. We are now 22/1.

I'd take the field against City and Liverpool.

It could be us. And it could honestly be Everton. No Europe is going to help them a lot in this grind of a season.
Whilst I don't disagree that it could be Everton, or anybody from probably 5 or 6 teams I think I'll leave the Everton love in for now. They have played well enough but in truth the game at our place was one of those when it could have been played for a week and it would still be 0-0. Their other three wins I'd expect from Everton, in any season. Wait until they've played City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc and then we'll talk.

I still think Liverpool will be too strong and win it. That defeat will focus their minds. They’d be so casual in defence both after lockdown and now this season.

Man City’s transfer activity this summer has been weird. Dias a good signing for them though. I still think they need a striker though.

But you never know. All to play for. Son, Kane and Bale should all get 20 league goals each shouldn’t they? That’s a fuck of a lot of fire power. Teams will be shitting it lining up against those three.

Unless you are light years ahead of everyone else like Liverpool were last season winning a title in this league is all about getting the rub of the green at the right times, you need luck with injuries, how the fixtures shake out, running into opposing sides at the right time, getting key decisions.
For us to win derbies against Woolwich, Chelsea and West Ham who will all be season defining desperate to stop us if it looks like we are in the mix for the title.

It's a tough ask.

Before that Liverpool game yesterday I would have said they were going to walk this league again.
I think that result has given the entire league hope.

I think we have the players to put in a challenge and Jose at the helm its possible.

Get in the mix just behind the leaders at Christmas and who knows.

For us to win derbies against Woolwich, Chelsea and West Ham who will all be season defining desperate to stop us if it looks like we are in the mix for the title.

It's a tough ask.
That would be interesting to know, how champions have fared in derbies in their winning year. Particularly Chelsea and the Goons, as London clubs obvs have more derbies.

I suspect you're right though, we'd have to beat them all at home, and nick some points away.

Of course we have a good chance, but the results against Newcastle and Everton can't be ignored. Those are the games where you should guarantee 3 points if you expect to win the title.

Lamela, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Bale, Kane and Son have all missed time through on going injuries and we cannot bank on them playing even half of the games this season across 4 competitions.

Liverpool won last season because their best players barely missed any football - TAA (38), Robertson(36), Mane(35), Salah(34), Firmino (38) , VVD (38).

If Ndombele, Kane, Son, Lo Celso, Holberg can put into 32+ games each in the EPL; we have every chance of winning it. Adding Bale as our wildcard with 20+ games gives us a real head start.
Would be crazy luck if Liverpool get through another season with all their main players intact. Without the Kane, Son, Hugo injuries we were probably good for 4th last year.

I wouldn't read too much into the Everton game, I think we were undercooked.
Being a bit hypocritical here as I lost my shit after that game and predicted a shit season, but a lot has happened since. Mainly we've had a fantastic transfer window where we have addressed almost all of the squad weaknesses.
The Son injury was also not as bad as initially predicted.
As for Newcastle we mauled them from start to finish, were just robbed by VAR on that occasion, they had zero chances before the dubious pen so we can justifiably put that one firmly on the new daft rules.

Agree with your points on Liverpool they are very jammy it proved at the weekend when they have a couple of key players injured they are only human like the rest of the league.

Back
Top Bottom