Anyone else going to be boycotting matches, after recent events?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will you be boycotting matches, to show your displeasure at the treatment of non-playing staff?

• Total voters
It's all being very well overblown. Companies worth many times over more than Spurs have taken the exact same measures. You going to switch off the lights to punish Eon? Scrap your Nissan? Boycott British Airways? Forego that McD's? Skip the cuppa at Costa? Give up shopping at Primark?

It's a ridiculous double standard, expecting football clubs, a business that has some of the thinnest financial margins in the entire world, to sit by and eat losses that amount to double digit percentages of turnover whilst every other business in the world takes advantage of government programs designed to protect business from default.

Levy is merely protecting the solvency of the club. If this lasts another month, you see big bollocks Liverpool come back hat in hand as well. No company, much less a football club, can go months on end paying their payroll whilst paying overhead with zero revenue stream.

Let's face it, no true fan will ever give up being Spurs.
We'll all moan, complain and say "I've had enough of this shit" but we all come crawling back in the end.

We don't support the board, the players (they come and go) or the ground, we support the club.
We can have different opinions on how the club is run or which players are shite but even if we get relegated, we will all STILL be Spurs.

Or at least we should be.

I have to say, after seeing the behaviour of the club (no, it isn't being "overblown" as the ENIC defenders would have you believe) we are owned by a fucking billionaire, no excuses for using government money to pay staff, 3 months would be £1.5M to pay all staff, that's a piss in a puddle for ENIC.

People defending their actions should be fucking embarrassed but if this crisis has proven anything to me it's that we live amongst incredibly entitled and stupid people so it doesn't surprise me that people are defending it.

And seeing the behaviour of not only our players but players from other clubs during this and how they believe they are above the rules I am disgusted.

I don't want to fund the lifestyles of these overpaid brats or watch them kick another football unless something drastically changes (which it won't.)

So I guess that answers the question.

The only way I'm going to stop supporting Spurs is if the Club are no longer in existence or I get dementia and forget that I support the Club. I'll stop going when I can't afford it.

Let's face it, no true fan will ever give up being Spurs.
We'll all moan, complain and say "I've had enough of this shit" but we all come crawling back in the end.

We don't support the board, the players (they come and go) or the ground, we support the club.
We can have different opinions on how the club is run or which players are shite but even if we get relegated, we will all STILL be Spurs.

Or at least we should be.
I agree , if your spurs you can’t give it up, it’s in your blood, but I’m considering giving up the ST and not wasting a few grand a year to follow the club, I don’t get the same excitement at games any more , football has evolved, it’s just a business now , and as much as I love the club I’m not sure I can justify spending so much to follow it any more , I think I would rather watch the games at home and spend the money saved on a few weeks in the sun

They are all parasites, take easyJet as an example paying out millions to shareholders last month now furhlonging staff , I think it’s just highlighted more in football when you are still paying someone like Harry Kane £200k a week but can’t pay Janet the tea lady £2k a month.
24k p/a for a tea lady?

LOL... Sign me up! :D
Many moons back, my Mum (god rest her) was a tea lady at Viglen in Alperton. She came in with a tea trolley whilst Alan Sugar was chairing some meeting, he moaned about the biscuit selection, she told him to buy his own in future.

A day or so later her boss called her into his office (she thought she was getting the sack), she was given a minimal pay rise and a big box of chocolates 'courtesy of Mr Sugar'.

No. For those of you who are don’t bother coming back once we start winning again and heaven forbid win a trophy. If you can’t support the club in the tough times (which this isn’t) then don’t support them in the good.

Sounds harsh but what’s the point supporting a team if your going to be fair weather about it. I’m fed up with it.

If you don't go to matches then you're not a supporter. You might be a fan, more of a follower but that's it. Supporters support their team. For those of us who followed the team (not club, owners, etc) through thick and thin, relegation (missed just one home game that year), many lean periods, then we'll still be there whoever the owners are. Bye.
I don’t think that’s a fair comment to make, many people are still supporters of the club but can’t afford to go to games, doesn’t make them any less of a supporter / fan.

I think it sucks, but you of all people rallying against corporate greed given your stance on spending, players and takeovers (openly welcoming bloodmoney-funded and bought psuedo-success) is a joke.

Anyway, bet you're loving it really..... Good ammo innit.
I'll tell you what sucks.

When the PL gravey train brings in untold billions and our club is seemingly more interested in recording record profits than putting silverware in the trophy cabinet.
That sucks.

When other clubs around us strive to spend the going rate on improving the squad and supporting their manager. While we sit back hoping for a bargain.
That sucks.

Going one and a half years without speding a dime on new players, then losing our best manager in decades within 6 months.
That sucks.

When our CEO's bonus alone dwarfs the salary of his peers.
That sucks.

And then, when the whole world faces this unpecedented humanitarian crisis and our club is the first in the queue with it's begging bowl for state hand outs.
That really, really fucking sucks.

So, what's your point, mate?

Last edited:
I've cancelled my membership. I can only afford a few games a year so nobody will care but it feels the right thing to do.

If we're no different to easyjet or Virgin then what are we supporting. I think this has shown this club isn't a family, it isn't in touch with its support and only gives a shit about money.

Those low paid staff were never going to send the club bankrupt and his already got his excuses on for not investing in the team - the bit we're all here for.

Instead of boycotting Spurs, who are just a reasonably well run company in an industry of atrociously run companies, why not do something meaningful, like boycott the government that has put the country in this mess by choosing to prioritise tax breaks for the wealthy individuals and corporations whilst underfunding public services like the NHS and the average man in the street and failed to prepare the country for this catastrophe despite having several warnings and near misses over the last few years, and then managed this situation like fucking amateurs bumbling their way through a piss up in a brewery.

How does one boycott the government?

If you don't go to matches then you're not a supporter. You might be a fan, more of a follower but that's it. Supporters support their team. For those of us who followed the team (not club, owners, etc) through thick and thin, relegation (missed just one home game that year), many lean periods, then we'll still be there whoever the owners are. Bye.
I get your point but take someone like me.

I used to go to every home game through the 80s and early 90s, then I moved country.

Does that make me less of a supporter?

When this crisis is finally over, and the football resumes, I get the feeling this place is gonna be filled with peace and love as all the factions come together in unity. ✌

297872_v1.gif

Sad times mate. I hear you when it comes to ticket prices. I used to be able to get a ticket for £40 at the front, on the halfway line at the old WHL, but now it closer to £200. Madness. I understand we have to pay off the debt of the new stadium, but those prices are mad. £70 for any seat in the stadium now... give me a break 😬
Add in to the fact that it’s not even enjoyable any more and you start to struggle to convince yourself to renew

They are all parasites, take easyJet as an example paying out millions to shareholders last month now furhlonging staff , I think it’s just highlighted more in football when you are still paying someone like Harry Kane £200k a week but can’t pay Janet the tea lady £2k a month.

24k p/a for a tea lady?

LOL... Sign me up! :D

Hey everyone,

I wish my first post on this forum were a more positive one! After recent events, I’m done with the club, until there’s either a huuuuuge apology for the furlough and ‘come and work on my grounds!’embarrassments, or either Levy or Lewis (or both) leave.

Is anyone else feeling as embarrassed/upset/angry as I am right now? Anyone else going to stop going to matches etc? The way I’m feeling right now, I’m going to go to some lower league matches instead next season. I guess, in situations like this one, you get to see the true colours of some of the people at the top of the game 😔

Back
Top Bottom