Apoel Nicosia v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It doesn't overshadow the rest of his attributes though. He's just bad at kicking. Same way Son can't tackle. It doesn't neutralise the rest of his makeup.
If Son cost us 2 or 3 goals a season, and very nearly many many more though it would be an issue.

Hugo's kicking is far from a non issue in my opinion. Brilliant keeper and character, but his sweeper keeper role is non existent anymore. I'm guessing that's because Poch has abandoned it.

Hugo made a huge howler last night and got away with it but also did a few pretty good saves. Realistically there is no better goalkeeper currently playing we could replace him with.

We're living in a world where Joe fucking Hart is somehow still England's first choice goalkeeper. We should count ourselves lucky.

No one wants Hugo replaced, but Vorm deserves the Carabou and FA Cups in my view

Hugo made a huge howler last night and got away with it but also did a few pretty good saves. Realistically there is no better goalkeeper currently playing we could replace him with.

We're living in a world where Joe fucking Hart is somehow still England's first choice goalkeeper. We should count ourselves lucky.

Well if we had limitless cash and could attract any player there perhaps are a few better ones out there but I get your point. I also worry that other teams will see his control under pressure and swamp out back four forcing a few silly goals or corners (we're bad a defending these).

So i'm not saying get rid, far from it but they need to focus on his passing and control. Him and Sissoko could learn together ;)

If Son cost us 2 or 3 goals a season, and very nearly many many more though it would be an issue.

Hugo's kicking is far from a non issue in my opinion. Brilliant keeper and character, but his sweeper keeper role is non existent anymore. I'm guessing that's because Poch has abandoned it.
He cost us a very important one last season. I'm not saying it's a non-issue, what I'm saying is there isn't a better keeper around we could get. He's still top 10 in the world and will be for the foreseeable future. His kicking generally see's it go out for a throw in and hasn't cost us many, if any, goals. Think we're overreacting.

Are people on here seriously considering dropping Lloris for Vorm over a misplaced clearance? Hugo made 3 very good saves last night. Clean sheet (even if fortunate). Kane misplaced a pass in the first half, shall we drop him too? Mental.

Not playing Vorm only leads to problems when you do actually need him one day.

Which is why Nkoudou can't just come in after 18 months and perform.

These players deserve time on the pitch more often.

Not playing Vorm only leads to problems when you do actually need him one day.

Which is why Nkoudou can't just come in after 18 months and perform.

These players deserve time on the pitch more often.
No successful team in modern history has rotated their keepers

I don't mind giving Vorm the League Cup however - that's fair

Are people on here seriously considering dropping Lloris for Vorm over a misplaced clearance? Hugo made 3 very good saves last night. Clean sheet (even if fortunate). Kane misplaced a pass in the first half, shall we drop him too? Mental.

stop melting, he needs to improve this very big part of his game. We played a mediocre team last night, sure they were CL but all old boys where the combined cost of the team was something like £3m. If this had been against a proper team we would have come unstuck.

Kane losing a ball or someone higher up the pitch is statically less likely to result in losing a goal - surely you can see that?

Why is giving Vorm playing time such a bad thing? Especially if it gives Hugo time to work on his other skills.

He needs a few 5-a-side sessions as an outfield player – would do him a world of good ;)

I don't really care, and I agree with them.
Yet I wonder if Apoel will be fined by UEFA for political banners.
How were two massive banners with
History cannot be stolen
Bring the marbles back

Allowed to be displayed so prominently.

It's political no?

It really amazes me that players like Sanchez are not given any leeway by commentators.
It's his first season in PL.
He's young.
Had one season experience in Europe and the Dutch league.
Is now playing regularly for Spurs at the heart of the defence and they expect him to be accomplished
He's a kid and still learning

Stones fucks up all the time, gets away with it.
What's the difference except stones has had so much more experience?

You also have players like Winks who rarely put a foot wrong and nothing's said.

No successful team in modern history has rotated their keepers

I don't mind giving Vorm the League Cup however - that's fair
didn't Barca rotate Stegen & Bravo when they won the treble?

Arcespace - Ok it wasn't the traditional treble but they won the league / Supercup / World Club Cup / Copa Del Rey with Bravo palying 64 games and Stegen 45 - whats to disagree with?

Last edited:

Well Vorm already played in the Carabou last week so is it really that mental to suggest he play in the FA Cup too?
Not sure where anyone said drop Hugo, or where they said it was due to one misplaced pass.

Maybe you missed his contribution at the Etihad last year, or for France v Sweden, or nearly every match from a simple pass to his feet.

Thats the issue. Is it allowed to be considered an issue or shall we just pretend he´s great at that too?

He cost us a very important one last season. I'm not saying it's a non-issue, what I'm saying is there isn't a better keeper around we could get. He's still top 10 in the world and will be for the foreseeable future. His kicking generally see's it go out for a throw in and hasn't cost us many, if any, goals. Think we're overreacting.
Agree with this, but he really does need to work at it. You're never too late too learn & whilst a kick into touch for a throw in hasn't lost us many games, I do wonder if sustaining rather than surrendering possession with some pinpoint passing may have seen us create a few more goals. It looks sloppy & it's frustrating to see a keeper of his standing do that. With all the impressive things he does, & the number of times he's saved us in games, I can't believe I'm even suggesting anything less than glowing about our captain. But it is something he can work on to improve upon.

I want to win a cup and we've a better chance of winning it with Lloris in the team than we do with Vorm in it. No rotation for me.
So you think it's smart to have a back up that doesn't play a game for one or two years, then when Loris picks up an injury or gets a red card, we have to throw in a practical novice

Back
Top Bottom