Argentinian internationals and Quarantine

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree.

But it's the journalists like Ally Gold who typically get info direct from the club who are saying Spurs will fine GLC, Romero & Davinson.

I do wonder what game Levy thinks he's playing here. Davinson is playing as well as he's ever done for us, we've just signed Romero and GLC should be our creative 8 in Nuno's formation.

Fining the players seems an idiotic decision, side-stepping the fundamental football authority / international Covid regulation issues which are at the heart of this clusterfuck.
Sounds like it wasn't a case of 'we advise you not to go' but 'you don't have our permission to go, and if you do they'll be consequences'. So club feel they have to follow through, even if it feels unhelpful at this point. I think the misjudgement was thinking they could threaten them into not going in the first place.

This is ridiculous. If they’re now staying for the next match they’re unlikely to be back in the uk until 22nd September which means they’ll miss four games (Palace, Rennes, Chelsea, Wolves). The next Argentina game is then on October 7th which is just two weeks later.
They’ll be available for Woolwich, Mura and Villa, but if the lists haven’t changed by the end of that international break we potentially then lose them for Newcastle, Vitesse and Wet Spam.

Sounds like it wasn't a case of 'we advise you not to go' but 'you don't have our permission to go, and if you do they'll be consequences'. So club feel they have to follow through, even if it feels unhelpful at this point. I think the misjudgement was thinking they could threaten them into not going in the first place.

Naaa, the clubs social media posted a good luck lads message, the two angles can't co-exist.

If fine is applied, this is the nefarious thing of COVID, no way would any sane Chairman fine players after the club posted a good luck message (showing it was satisfied there was agreement in place to allow the 3 day presence they had when playing Venezuela (I think is the story)).

However, UK has horrific rates, so Brazil health authorities likely have us on a Dorset Naga Red List.

Frankly, everyone is confused about everything, so no wonder everyone is pointing fingers.

I agree.

But it's the journalists like Ally Gold who typically get info direct from the club who are saying Spurs will fine GLC, Romero & Davinson.

I do wonder what game Levy thinks he's playing here. Davinson is playing as well as he's ever done for us, we've just signed Romero and GLC should be our creative 8 in Nuno's formation.

Fining the players seems an idiotic decision, side-stepping the fundamental football authority / international Covid regulation issues which are at the heart of this clusterfuck.
Wonder what would happen if one of us falsified paperwork to get into Argentina or Brazil?

This is ridiculous. If they’re now staying for the next match they’re unlikely to be back in the uk until 22nd September which means they’ll miss four games (Palace, Rennes, Chelsea, Wolves). The next Argentina game is then on October 7th which is just two weeks later.
They’ll be available for Woolwich, Mura and Villa, but if the lists haven’t changed by the end of that international break we potentially then lose them for Newcastle, Vitesse and Wet Spam.
We won’t release them for the next round of internationals.

If they do go, then they should expect all repercussions.

Getting a bit bored of GLC too.

Idk how I feel about this
I understand why Lo Celso/Romero want to go . Its world cup qualifiers so a world cup is coming up and by not attending international duty you risk not getting into that squad especially with a squad as competitive as Argentina's.
On the other hand though both have an uphill task of getting into Nuno's first XI and you'd think from the POV of playing for their club they'd just not go on international duty to get the extra fitness they need and then to make themselves available for selection. Ultimately Romero should be convincing Spurs to buy him. Likewise Lo Celso should be convincing Spurs that all the money they spent on him was worth it.

However, I struggle to believe Spurs didn't give them their blessing. Only Spurs/Villa players went out of all the South American players in the PL. I'll give you an example of someone who would've wanted to go 100% . Richarlison. Richarlison played in the Olympics just to play for his country and missed the start of the season with Everton . If it had been a case of players forcing a move then Richarlison would've gone. Others would follow too. Someone say Raphinha who has been called up for the first time to Brazil. No way would he reject that opportunity. Therefore, I honestly believe Spurs gave them permission to go however the whole issue is now over the coming back early.

I actually don't know where blame lies and I feel that we as the general public just don't know too much about the whole situation.
Either way its a mess.
And I'm sure next international break (October) those guys will be staying in England given the mess that has happened from this

GlC is the gift that keeps giving. Trying to imagine the shit storm if another of our players had pulled this. As for Romero he better be one hell of a player. Because he has some serious making up to do. It also applies to Davinson Sanchez
Apparently Sanchez deliberately got booked in the last game so he'd be suspended and so he could go home.
Tbf I think that's some way to redemption^.

I think all these players were given Spurs' blessing to go in my opinion. Otherwise other PL players would've gone too imo.

Apparently Sanchez deliberately got booked in the last game so he'd be suspended and so he could go home.
Tbf I think that's some way to redemption^.

I think all these players were given Spurs' blessing to go in my opinion. Otherwise other PL players would've gone too imo.

.....Other PL players like the Villa duo you mean?

Only so many players fit the red-zone criteria...... Brazil accepted the absence of their players affected by it; Argentina didn't and insisted the players reported for int. duty regardless.

Spurs requested that the players did not go (as did the rest of the PL clubs).... They weren't given their blessing.

Perhaps you've not paid attention to this situ as it was brewing over the past few weeks?

Back
Top Bottom