Aston Villa (A) - 9th April - 530 KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whenever xG comes up there will always be a group of people who tell you it is totally meaningless despite the fact EVERY TOP FOOTBALL CLUB will utilise xG in some way or another. Tuchel, Klopp, Guardiola and numerous other elite managers have talked about it before, all of these clubs spent lots of money on statistical analysis and xG is a part of that.

Is it the be all to end all? No. It's just a way of measuring something. God knows why people get so uppity about it because it's new(ish).
Just because some people believe it's meaningful, doesn't mean to say it actually is.

Trying to turn football into a predictable science makes as much sense as trying to teach fish to whistle.

I'm guessing that Villas xG was higher than ours - because they took more shots at goal - and made our keeper save more shots than their keeper had to

If theirs was higher - it missed the bit that Villa had all of their efforts aimed at where the goalkeeper was - and all of ours were aimed at where theirs wasn't

IMO - that pretty much sums up it's value

"Not accounting for dumb/bad luck" or the fluctuations of players' mindset or form throughout a game is what makes it flawed...
and, dare I say it, misses half the point of why we love football.... It ISNT perfect, mistakes are. Made, and THAT'S the beauty of it... You CAN'T, nor should you be able to predict it...

It's trying to take guesswork, opinion and surprise out of the game altogether...

Xg is just a glorified video game stat generator....
Players aren't machines...

Had it been around back then, Xg wouldn't have accounted for Gerrard's slip v Chelsea, or Mendes' dissallowed goal at Old Trafford... Or Trippiers' o.g v Chelsea...
or countless other slips, brainfarts and gaffes down the years that have won or lost titles, let alone games!

At best, it's an after the event 'Woulda Coulda Shoulda' gaming app that becomes infuriating when you look back at 'what you COULD have won!

Bloody X-Box gaming generation ruining REAL football!

Football is the game it is because of ALL ITS IMPERFECTIONS!

Silly bollocks

Its not rudimentary, and then lists several decisive factors that aren’t / can’t be considered. I don’t doubt the depth of the data, it’s the variety of it that makes it’s usefulness questionable at best to me.

Which leaves the argument with, we’ll it’s definitely accurate because xG - xGA ~ League table. Well we’ve had league tables since the birth of association football. Why do we need another way of telling us that the teams at the top of the table are creating more and scoring more chances than they are conceding than the teams below them? It brings nothing new to the party as far as I’m concerned.

A whole industry has been invented and the only discernible outcome I can see is it’s sucking money out of the game.

Rudimentary suggests basic or primitive, when in fact, by football statistical standards XG is pretty sophisticated, derived from analysing hundreds of thousands of events to create reasonably good, objective probability models.

As I said, it’s not perfect, it definitely has inherent flaws (multi human interaction will always dictate that) and they will always be there.

It’s just a slightly more informative metric for gauging/assessing performance as it qualifies and quantifies chances instead of just counting (quantifying) them.

The point about it generally concurring with the league table was to support its viability. If it was producing vastly different ordering to the league itself you’d start to question how accurate it was as a metric. IE if XG was telling us Burnley should be top of the league, with Watford second, Everton 3rd, you’d start to think it must be deeply flawed.

For fans (well those that enjoy the analytical side) it’s just another, objective piece of info to discuss or support/counter arguments. Ie not just “who had the most shots” but who actually, using an unbiased, objective probability model, had the better chances etc.

For the football industry it’s used (along with all the usual other shit) to assess performance (see Tuchel above) of teams (ie you can see assess quality and quantity of chances a team is making and allowing the opposition - again from an unbiased, probability model) and individual's (using both XG and XA (which uses the same methodology to assess probability but applied to the guy creating the chance) in matches and over longer periods. Which are just additional tools useful for judging performance without bias, confirmation bias etc.

Of course our eyes will tell us some of this stuff, but our eyes sometimes lie (sometimes they completely bullshit us into thinking Sissoko was “good”) or don’t tell the whole truth, and also don’t always do the cumulative maths well.

Bottom line, if you don’t enjoy it, ignore it.

Just because some people believe it's meaningful, doesn't mean to say it actually is.

And because you don’t, doesn’t mean it isn’t.

Thank you
When BC came on here and started spouting all this statistical cobblers I tried to put that point across, that any statistical analysis fails to take into consideration the fact that the game is played by humans - who if you repeat any given situation 10 times they will make different choices based on a myriad of conditions that go beyond situational, like form, emotions, breathing, visual acuity, sound etc etc
All things that number crunching can never do.

The fact is, he doesn't get it.

Sport is not a science,

Sport is a science. Or are you claiming to know more than the manager of the current CL winning team who is using XG science (see above). Counting goals is science. Managing fitness is science. Curling a ball round a wall is science.

and no amount of trying to package it to fit in to games console behaviours is ever going to make made up cobblers like xG relevant or meaningful.

Here’s the thing. I can enjoy the art, sport, poetry, physical qualities, human endeavour and flaws of football but also enjoy its science too.

Just because you don’t understand or accept science is part of football, doesn’t make it true, or that the science part can be an enjoyable aspect for some doesn’t mean you have to try and tell them it’s wrong.

Enjoy football how you want to and let others do the same.

Its OK but misses a lot of factors. For example sonnys first is counted as a weak foot chance despite the fact he doesn't really have a weak foot.

Kulsevskis goal at City was a low xg chance because the model doesn't take into account the position of the goalkeeper which is mental.

I think its overused but is a decent metric in terms of judging medium-long term trends

I know it’s far from perfect, and for us fans it’s fundamentally just a better performance probability metric than “shots” etc to chat about.

I can understand people not understanding it ot not digging it, don’t really get people getting all bent out of shape about though.

We are talking about football, not life or death. It’s just another facet of the conversation. Nobody’s trying automate or robotise the beautiful game.

I know it’s far from perfect, and for us fans it’s fundamentally just a better performance probability metric than “shots” etc to chat about.

I can understand people not understanding it ot not digging it, don’t really get people getting all bent out of shape about though.

We are talking about football, not life or death. It’s just another facet of the conversation. Nobody’s trying automate or robotise the beautiful game.
Yes some of the opposition to it does seem silly and luddite-esque. It has sometimes throws up silly results owing to its constraints but I'd agree its by and large better than shots as a metric

Sport is a science. Or are you claiming to know more than the manager of the current CL winning team who is using XG science (see above). Counting goals is science. Managing fitness is science. Curling a ball round a wall is science.

Here’s the thing. I can enjoy the art, sport, poetry, physical qualities, human endeavour and flaws of football but also enjoy its science too.

Just because you don’t understand or accept science is part of football, doesn’t make it true, or that the science part can be an enjoyable aspect for some doesn’t mean you have to try and tell them it’s wrong.

sport is not a science - because it is not governed by immutable natural laws, just humans with all of their will, skill, physique, vagaries and failings. A lot of science is used for training and diet, but beyond that it is incalculable because the only thing that performs in the sport are human beings (no cars, aircraft, rackets or man made devices.) You clearly can't distinguish the difference, so thinking this tosh (to me) is meaningful makes you happy. As you so rightly say - if it makes you happy then enjoy it, but please don't try to prove there's any genuine science behind it.

The two leagues look the same - no shit sherlock, the numbers are an expression of past events, not harbingers of future events.

Turning the beauty of seeing this sport being performed by the finest skilled human athletes, being converted into meaningless statistics to try to makes things look scientific just sucks the joy and wonder out of watching amazing humans do amazing things.

"Isn't it grand! Isn't it fine! Look at the cut, the style, the line!
The suit of clothes is all together
But all together it's all together
The most remarkable suit of clothes that I have ever seen.
These eyes of mine at once determined
The sleeves are velvet, the cape is ermine
The hose are blue and the doublet is a lovely shade of green.
Somebody send for the Queen."

Last edited:
Yes some of the opposition to it does seem silly and luddite-esque. It has sometimes throws up silly results owing to its constraints but I'd agree its by and large better than shots as a metric
Nothing luddite about it at all, just a large pile of disdain for its relevance beyond, mostly, stating the obvious. Not everything new is better, an opinion that comes from having seen too many latest greatest innovations and ideas that turn out to be forgettable nonsense.

You said Conte and paratici. Not just paratici alone. Anyway Conte must he backed in the summer. Hopefully he will with the added bonus of UCL if we can make it... hopefully
I did, hence the word included.

Agree on the rest. I've backed Levy in the past, I've kinda sat on the fence the last couple of years, but I'll join the rank & file calling for his head if he fucks this Summer up.

The model obviously doesn't take into account that it wasn't me or you in those positions, rather it was one of the best finishers in the world. Who also happens to be in excellent form, playing in a team full of confidence. It's a very rudimentary "measurement". And pretty pointless reporting it on a match by match basis.
I like xG. Whilst it's by no means perfect, it paints a better picture of how well you've performed up front than possession or shots taken, that some here seem to think are the telling metrics.

No statistic, in and of itself, tells you the story of how the match went, but combined they do give a fair reflection of how a team has performed.

Simply put, treat it as a piece of the puzzle rather than the entire puzzle.

One of very few clubs I’ve never minded. Clearly I was clueless.

Going to jot them down in my cunt book with the rest of them.

noted jimmy fallon GIF

It's not often I say this BC, but very well said.

sport is not a science - because it is not governed by immutable natural laws, just humans with all of their will, skill, physique, vagaries and failings. A lot of science is used for training and diet, but beyond that it is incalculable because the only thing that performs in the sport are human beings (no cars, aircraft, rackets or man made devices.) You clearly can't distinguish the difference, so thinking this tosh (to me) is meaningful makes you happy. As you so rightly say - if it makes you happy then enjoy it, but please don't try to prove there's any genuine science behind it.

The two leagues look the same - no shit sherlock, the numbers are an expression of past events, not harbingers of future events.

Turning the beauty of seeing this sport being performed by the finest skilled human athletes, being converted into meaningless statistics to try to makes things look scientific just sucks the joy and wonder out of watching amazing humans do amazing things.
Of course it's a science, just as any other sport is. Science has innumerable variables to contend with, which is why chaos theory is part of the scientific catalogue.

Coaching is a science, or do you think the way the likes of City and Liverpool play is because Pep and Klopp just bought a shitload of players and told them to "run araaaand a bit?"

There is science within the game, from the tactical setup, to the patterns of play, to the laws of the game. All systems put in place as a result of experimentation to achieve a desired end.

A rainbow is science, the aurora borealis is science, it doesn't detract from their beauty, just as the science doesn't detract from the beauty and diversity of the game.

You might not like or accept this, but that doesn't give you license to demean those that do.

Back
Top Bottom