Aston Villa vs. Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Siggy scored some big goals this season n I'm a fan of of him but is he a good fit on the left vs those clubs that sit back ? Seems pretty limited without the space and isn't quick enough to run in possession at anybody. Is a bit like Defoe in the Midfield where he is very dependent on that one moment where he can get a shooting lane for his lovely shooting technique

Dembele, despite his dribbling skills, is NOT an attacking player. If people accept that he makes a hell of a lot more sense.

I would agree. He seems to actually be a much better fit vs those teams that are willing to go toe to toe with spurs attack. When things slowed down actually work better from a tactical perspective. He is the best in the biz in possession and getting by a player or two. But just doesn't work well vs a crowded MF where spurs need timely n quick passing to create chances

I think Sigurdssons problems relate to width.
With Rose behind him it worked well because Siggy drifted in (to useful effect) with rose overlapping keeping width.

No Rose = No width = Siggy looks inadequate because we end up attacking down the right where we have width/pace/space...

Dembele, despite his dribbling skills, is NOT an attacking player. If people accept that he makes a hell of a lot more sense.

no matter how you try to paint it the bloke lacks end product and vision/creativity

he damn sure aint a DM and he's not an AM, but he's a box to box midfielder with amazing tekkers and very little vision

he's a good player who can influence matches with his strength and ability on the ball but he's just not well rounded for any specific midfield role, his passing is limited and his reading of the game aint great either

For me Sandro and Capoue are far better DMs

Paulos better box to box

Eriksen or Holtby are better AMs

so were does that leave Dembele?

I'm sure some people still aint convinced by Paulinho(which is hilarious) but for me he's well on his way to being a fuckn superstar and covers every blade of grass from box to box and is a genuine goal threat outta midfield

It's a squad game and Dembele will be valuable in certain situations/matches and over power lesser teams in midfield but he's still limited regardless of how you try to paint him or his position

Im not trying to "paint" anything. Im pointing out attacking is not his game.

Otherwise I mostly agree. Though I think if I were to pigeon hole him it would be in more of a DM role. He intercepts and tackles well, is very strong, gets the ball forward and (should) give it simply.

When playing he is quite often our deepest midfielder, picking up the outballs and putting them back into our attacking players...

Kind of similar to Modric in some ways, picks it up deep and moves it forward and then runs out of ideas if he gets into an attacking position...

When playing he is quite often our deepest midfielder, picking up the outballs and putting them back into our attacking players...

That's because he's usually played next to Paulinho, who is better going forward. Dembele is an excellent squad player as he can fill in adequately at any of the central midfield roles, but as previously mentioned he is no longer our best option at any of them.

He is often deeper than Sandro when they are paired as well.

Indeed, but not as often. One human can't literally cover an entire back four anyway, and of course his responsibilities include some coverage. Once again this provides for his versatility, and is a major contributor why we never have to become concerned when any option comes in at central mid. Loving that difference from last year.

The guy who lit it was celebrating a goal for fucks sake. You throw a fucking smoke bomb onto the pitch and it hits a lino, you can expect to get nicked. Wouldnt it make more sense to take your kid out?

Why should he take his kid out?

Cheer up, it's bonfire night soon. You and @ Scottwallace15 Scottwallace15 can look at some sparkly things and reminisce about how horrible corporate before modern football took away all the flares and smoke bombs.

(Can't remember it myself though. I must be getting senile.)

#thosegloryglorypyrodays

:avbfacepalm:

Why should he take his kid out?

Cheer up, it's bonfire night soon. You and @ Scottwallace15 Scottwallace15 can look at some sparkly things and reminisce about how horrible corporate before modern football took away all the flares and smoke bombs.

(Can't remember it myself though. I must be getting senile.)

#thosegloryglorypyrodays

:avbfacepalm:

last time i went to watch fireworks they didn't appreciate me shouting 'yid army' while the fireworks went off, don't understand why i thought the smoke bombs and flared added to the atmosphere to be fair

Back
Top Bottom