AVB

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

AVB did gain the highest points total in the Premier League but it's the performance of other clubs that determine your final position and Tottenham can affect the performance of other teams by beating them.

There were more points at the top of the table last season because there were so few at the bottom. QPR and Reading were hopeless and please don't say QPR's relegation was Redknapp's fault!

If a club got 35 points and avoided relegation but the following season got 37 points and got relegated, try telling their fans the club has made progress.

Fans are perfectly entitled to question their manager. I'm not saying AVB is dreadful, he's certainly no Ardiles who I think is the worst manager the club has had in my lifetime (and yes I haven't forgotten Gross).

But I can not rate him as highly as Redknapp, look at where Tottenham were when he took over and look at how far they had come when he was sacked.

Incidentally, what was the real reason for sacking Redknapp? I don't think I ever heard what the official one was either.

Wasn't it for giving Levy a list of players for the January transfer window that included Louis Saha and the bloke from Blackburn with the chin whose name I can't remember. We were challenging for the league.

AVB could say there wasn't the money to buy a striker, there's nothing wrong with that.

But then again Graham got sacked for that but admittedly Levy was just waiting to get rid of him.

If we were challenging for the league under Redknapp but were bottom of the table when he arrived isn't that a pretty strong argument for keeping him?

I want to make another point now.

Redknapp got Tottenham into the top 5 in each of his 3 FULL seasons.

Do you know the last time Tottenham had finished in the top 5 three years running?

I want to make another point now.

Redknapp got Tottenham into the top 5 in each of his 3 FULL seasons.

Do you know the last time Tottenham had finished in the top 5 three years running?
He also had more money to spend than any managers before himas far as I'm aware.
He was a decent manager but AVB is a better imo, and doesn't seem like the type of man to start dreaming of national management at the drop of a hat.

So dmartins13, you think a manager who takes a team from the bottom of the table and within 18 months takes them into Europe's top club competition for the first time in 50 years, finishing in the top 5 three years running deserves to be sacked?

Look at Tottenham's historic league performances. I would say Redknapp is the club's most effective manager since Burkenshaw.

If we were challenging for the league under Redknapp but were bottom of the table when he arrived isn't that a pretty strong argument for keeping him?

No it's not because he inherited one of the best sides we've had in decades. As a poster mentioned earlier we lost two of our best players and we still finished last season with a better points tally.

That's my lot in this thread. Deja vu.

Maybe he did pass on Suarez, I didn't know that. But at least he didn't say two strikers (one of which was Adebayor) were sufficient during the transfer window like AVB did.
I think it was clear we tried to sign Leandro, AVB was saying that to protect the club so that the press wouldn't have a field day if the deal didn't go through.

Not everyone opens their mouth to the press without thinking you know:harrysmile:

AVB did gain the highest points total in the Premier League but it's the performance of other clubs that determine your final position and Tottenham can affect the performance of other teams by beating them.

There were more points at the top of the table last season because there were so few at the bottom. QPR and Reading were hopeless and please don't say QPR's relegation was Redknapp's fault!

If a club got 35 points and avoided relegation but the following season got 37 points and got relegated, try telling their fans the club has made progress.

What??

You do realise you only play every team twice right? You cant affect the rest of Chelsea's/Woolwich's season outside of that.

The drop of a hat?? It was just any old national team, it was the England job. It was vacant and nearly everyone was saying he was the ideal man.

Of course, you only play them twice a year but Tottenham gaining more points in the league doesn't really cut it with me if they end up getting overtaken.

I am surprised another club didn't come in for him. His record at Tottenham was impressive.

I'm still waiting for a response to:

So dmartins13, you think a manager who takes a team from the bottom of the table and within 18 months takes them into Europe's top club competition for the first time in 50 years, finishing in the top 5 three years running deserves to be sacked?

Look at Tottenham's historic league performances. I would say Redknapp is the club's most effective manager since Burkenshaw.

I'm not getting into this argument. All I will say is that he was fortunate enough to walk into a massively underachieving squad. His general redknapp brand attitude and constant love in with the press was embarrassing and I'm happy to have a better manager now with vastly improved intelligence

If you really think him leaving was solely down to the England thing that's a massive assumption, and a pretty silly one
Of course, you only play them twice a year but Tottenham gaining more points in the league doesn't really cut it with me if they end up getting overtaken.

So are you saying AVB's achievement of getting more points than anyone before him means nothing?

I get he feeling if it were the other way around you would harp on about Redknapp getting more points than anyone and it not being his fault the other teams done so well...

Back
Top Bottom