AVB

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

where did they finish in the league that season? They also won the Champions League more by luck than judgement with Steaua Bucharest type tactics, So no, they didn't get better that season. In fact under RDM they got fucking worse.
Pretty much what I was saying, trying to be a bit less blunt. If you look at results, you would probably struggle to see a difference between AVB leaving and RDM taking over

Whether it was right to sack Arry is pretty well backed up by stats, and ignoring stats it's completely opinion based
What stats?

That he was the first manager to take them to the top European football competition for 49 years?

That he was the most consistently effective manager in the league that the club had for 48 years?

Pretty much what I was saying, trying to be a bit less blunt. If you look at results, you would probably struggle to see a difference between AVB leaving and RDM taking over

No point being blunt when people won't see past the end of their noses. He's like the Kim Il Sung of Football Managers.

What stats?

That he was the first manager to take them to the top European football competition for 49 years?

That he was the most consistently effective manager in the league that the club had for 48 years?

Careful, you're starting to sound like your messiah. Either that or you're a Chelsea fan

Well if you read my responses you'll see that I have answered the points raised by other people. If you want me to just automatically agree for the sake of it, it's not going to happen.
I dont want you to agree for the sake of it but it would be nice if you could debate rather than just hammer your points all the time, you dont show you read and understand other peoples posts, you just seem to argue them without really taking in what was said.

and for that reason.

bannatyne.gif

Are you from the past?

You must have been talking about this ever since it happened, wherever you normally do your Spurs talk (the Shed End? lol). Aren't you bored of AVB vs Redknapp discussions yet?

That is just pure arrogance, you are a prat.

I'm arrogant for wanting to be proved wrong?

Or I'm arrogant for thinking it won't happen?

If you have an opinion, it's what you believe will happen, it's what you think. That is the definition of the word. If you didn't think it was going to happen, you'd have a different opinion.

It's a shame you can't have a discussion with someone with a different opinion from you without resorting to insults. I've managed it. Are you going to call me a prat for that as well?

I dont want you to agree for the sake of it but it would be nice if you could debate rather than just hammer your points all the time, you dont show you read and understand other peoples posts, you just seem to argue them without really taking in what was said.

and for that reason.

bannatyne.gif
If I was ignoring the points and just repeated the same old mantra then you would be right. I am taking in what was said because I'm addressing the points they have made.

Are we forgetting Harry wasn't absolutely brilliant when he replaced Ramos?

Comparing AVB's first season in charge to Harry being in the job a couple seasons is unfair

Havent read all the posts as it's likely much the same sort of stuff. But here is my opinion:

Redknapp is a decent manager. He would do very well as England manager. He probably could have taken us further forward, but only to a point. Do I hate Redknapp as some do? Did he fuck up the end of his last season after an excellent first 2/3rds? Yes. No. He got us CL one year and a great runs of games in it, and he played entertaining football. Redknapp though, has gone, so I think it's pointless anyone wishing him back. I liked Redknapp, but I don't wish him back, it would be pointless and we don't need him as we have AVB.

When AVB first arrived I thought it was a risk and could go either way. Talented manager, but he would be under a lot of pressure. He had a slow start because the media were dying for him to fail and the team had to make quite a drastic change in style of play. But, he managed it, and got the most out of the likes of Bale, and the team were playing in a controlled way, and he almost got us CL in his first season in charge, without the striker we so clearly needed. He occationally made mistakes which cost us, which I think show a lack of experience but he is a young manager, so that isn't a fault in my eyes. He got us our record number of points despite this. I think that was pretty fantastic, and I'm right behind him. He will do even better this next season, I am certain of it.

Did Burkinshaw get Tottenham into the European Cup? Did they finish in the top 5 three years running?

I love Burkinshaw and he's another manager the club treated badly but the answer to both the questions is no.
finished 4th 2 years in a row so he would have.

Havent read all the posts as it's likely much the same sort of stuff. But here is my opinion:

When AVB first arrived I thought it was a risk and could go either way. Talented manager, but he would be under a lot of pressure. He got us our record number of points despite this. I think that was pretty fantastic, and I'm right behind him. He will do even better this next season, I am certain of it.

I hope you're right and I'm proved wrong but I don't think it will happen.

AVB will have to do better in the league than Redknapp (i.e. finish third) for me to feel that sacking Redknapp and appointing AVB was the right move.

DTC, you still haven't responded to my post last page. I'm waiting to see what you're ignorant mind has to say to it.

Back
Top Bottom