AVB

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

avbgif.gif
Yeah, brings back bad memories for me and him

Andre Villas-Boas leading a French revolution of his own at Marseille

Glad to see he is doing well, at points we played the most static football I have ever seen, but when we went 5-0 down at home and the camera zoomed in of him, I felt bad, pissed off but bad

We was never bad, but the writing was on the wall when he called out our fans
Always liked AVB. Don't think he was as far off as some claim.

Happy he's found some success, though after how it went at Chelsea and then Spurs I think he'd have to put together a good long run at OM before a big club called him even if he changed his mind and wanted to continue.

Pulled a Poch on the weekend after his team pissed away a 2-0 lead and allowed Amiens to equalize in the dying minutes.

Got in an argument with the ref and got sent to the stands. Rarely seen him that emotional.

I always felt that, in addition to the results, the way AVB handled the Hugo Lloris concussion incident at Goodison Park was a significant factor that led to his sacking.

Do others agree?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum.

I always felt that, in addition to the results, the way AVB handled the Hugo Lloris concussion incident at Goodison Park was a significant factor that led to his sacking.

Do others agree?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum.
I totally agree. The Hugo incident was shambolic. I'm also not into the revisionism on the bloke, we were bad under him and he was horribly out of his depth. The mans an assistant coach and probably a good one.

Redknapp said this this the best it gets at this club. It got a whole lot better with Poch. After how Redknapp f-ed up in his last season, we were right to sack him .
What if John Terry wasn't such a piece of shit, and didn't cause the FA to strip is captaincy? There's no row between Capello and the FA, so no emergency search for his replacement mid-cycle.

We probably never hire AVB. Harry probably gets the England job after Capello. Who replaces him? Do we get Poch eventually? Unlikely. Does Harry blossom at Spurs, or does this unknown manager bring in a forward that doesn't flounder and Kane ends up at Norwich or some such?

Things turned out pretty well for us, I'd say. If AVB did nothing but serve as a means to that end, then I'm grateful.

In a season we needed to finish 3rd, and missed out on the CL by a point to the fucking goons because Redknapp hit auto-pilot from midseason on whilst he tried desperately to land the England job.

Harry got sacked for good reason. It was ages ago. Move on.

A season where we finished 4th, which was our joint highest league position for over 20 years...

The only other time we had finished in the top 4 in that period was under....

Oh... what's his name...?

Oh yeah, Harry Redknapp!!

The argument about needing to finish 3rd is pretty lame as no one knew that until after the league season had finished.

It's not a question of moving on. This is a thread about a manager who succeeded Redknapp and was also sacked ages ago. If you think it's a question of moving on then only comment on threads about recent matches and current staff.

In a season we needed to finish 3rd, and missed out on the CL by a point to the fucking goons because Redknapp hit auto-pilot from midseason on whilst he tried desperately to land the England job.

Harry got sacked for good reason. It was ages ago. Move on.
If I remember right, we were 10 points ahead of the goons at one point. He bottled it. Theres a reason he never won much in his entire career as a manager. And as it turns out, Spurs were the best it gets for him.

We finished 4th...

What a monumental fuck-up that was!!
We should have finished third in that season but we didn't. Not so long before the collapse in that season, we were even talking about chasing the title.
I still remembered the away game against Man City. We were 2:0 down, but some how we could make it 2:2 and we could have even won that game if Defoe could have put the ball into the net assisted from Bale.....Once Defoe failed to score that golden chance, all of sudden we conceded the last moment penalty again.

Last edited:
We should have finished third in that season but we didn't. Not so long before the collapse in that season, we were even talking about chasing the title.
I still remembered the away game against Man City. We were 2:0 down, but some how we could make it 2:2 and we could have even won that game if Defoe could have put the ball into the net assisted from Bale.....Once Defoe failed to score that golden chance, all of sudden we conceded the last moment penalty again.

A Tottenham manager being criticised for not finishing third...

We were right to sack him!...

Extraordinary.

If I remember right, we were 10 points ahead of the goons at one point. He bottled it. Theres a reason he never won much in his entire career as a manager. And as it turns out, Spurs were the best it gets for him.

He's won a trophy more recently than we have...

He took us from the bottom of the league to Champions League qualification in 18 months.

What an absolutely disastrous appointment.

Back
Top Bottom