Away Goals

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

1. The away goals rule was introduced to spice the game up a bit - it was one of the few rule changes that worked.

2. The only reason things get changed is because some sleazy c**t wants promotion in his job.

3. Our enjoyment will suffer, while some twat gets promoted.

Awful decision and an end of a great tradition of European football.

I'd love to know their thinking behind this decision. There is no more need to go for it away from home.

Saying that, it probably didn't happen much anyway in recent times.

Good decision in my opinion. Well not done.

Awful decision and an end of a great tradition of European football.

I'd love to know their thinking behind this decision. There is no more need to go for it away from home.

Saying that, it probably didn't happen much anyway in recent times.

Good decision in my opinion. Well not done.
It was brought in due to the difficulties in travelling in Europe and it being relatively unknown, that's gone.

It encourages home team (first) to play not to concede rather than attack. If a team takes a goal away the opposite in the next game. It doesn't encourage attacking but now the opposite.

Away goal in extra time (that ends in a draw) unfairly gives one team 120 vs 90 mins benefit.

These are the reasons I've heard over the last few years.

Oh great, just one more thing to kill off a thing I love about the game.

Slowly but surely, even the smallest little things have started dulling the entire game for me.

I miss the days of two men kicking off in the circle already, losing away goals is just...why.

The entire soul of the fucking game is being ripped out now by a bunch of cronies only looking to make a buck.

Next they'll take Free kicks and introduce a sin bin. Woo.

Or even worse just lose the home and away sections from games.

They are so detached from the public and general fans opinion. Are they arrogant or just incompetent ? Probably both !

Why on the 1st leg would the away team even bother attacking anymore ? I seem to remember this is why it was introduced, so that the away team would come out looking for a goal..

They are so detached from the public and general fans opinion. Are they arrogant or just incompetent ? Probably both !

Why on the 1st leg would the away team even bother attacking anymore ? I seem to remember this is why it was introduced, so that the away team would come out looking for a goal..
It was introduced as home team had an advantage 2.02/0.95 goals (home), its currently 1.58/1.15.... Their argument is it should be removed as home advantage isn't extreme due to easier travel etc.

Oh great, just one more thing to kill off a thing I love about the game.

Slowly but surely, even the smallest little things have started dulling the entire game for me.

I miss the days of two men kicking off in the circle already, losing away goals is just...why.

The entire soul of the fucking game is being ripped out now by a bunch of cronies only looking to make a buck.

Next they'll take Free kicks and introduce a sin bin. Woo.

Or even worse just lose the home and away sections from games.
I can't believe you don't appreciate the way that the game has been revolutionised by the change in how games kick off...

That is exactly why it was introduced. And it worked, didn't it? Now the silly sods are dropping it. The people who 'run' the game are totally clueless.

I suppose this paves the way for someone to come up with the bright idea of re-introducing it in a few years time!!!!

More charges for extra advertisement maybe? Another half hour play and penos means extra dosh for these wankers.
Or maybe for an american audience that cant understand the need for away goals.
All this could lead to these games been played at venues around the world maybe. Now that theres no away goals theres no real loss of home advantage so madrid v city quarter final in new york, tokyo etc.

Call me cynical, but as Man City have suffered through the away goals rule, surely there hasn't been "interference " from their owners? I understand that the decision wasn't unanimous.

Call me cynical, but as Man City have suffered through the away goals rule, surely there hasn't been "interference " from their owners? I understand that the decision wasn't unanimous.
Think it's more simple than that.

Lots of people talking about the need to get rid as home advantage in Europe is not as extreme as it was.

And the age old - management(especially new) need to change things to justify their wage, leaving things alone because they work quite well and they are getting cut.

Low hanging fruit, seen it loads over the years everywhere I've worked.

Think it's more simple than that.

Lots of people talking about the need to get rid as home advantage in Europe is not as extreme as it was.

And the age old - management(especially new) need to change things to justify their wage, leaving things alone because they work quite well and they are getting cut.

Low hanging fruit, seen it loads over the years everywhere I've worked.
I know exactly what you mean. As I was at my company for 45 years, it always brought a wry smile when every new initiative was hailed as the latest thing, when I knew it had been done before. The more things change, the more they stay the same!

Back
Top Bottom