Away to Villa - 13 March

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some incredible posts on here

We won FFS

Easily

Virtual total dominance

Yes we cd easily have got 6 but just look at the table
:levystare:

We're opening up a nice little gap to those just behind us

Andros will score a brace tonite as Leicester wobble

Poch totally vindicated sending some of our second string to Dortmund and I hope we rest players again on Thursday so that we can batter Bournemouth on Sunday

It's called the 'bigger' picture

Villa were so poor, no pressure, no willpower nothing. They had a decent spell because at times in the second half we treated them like the U17 from a second tier club from Hong Kong but other then that we were completely dominant and could've easily scored 5 or 6.

This thread. Fucking hell. I swear these match threads get even more pathetic every match. If it's not the sad little squabbles, it's cunts like therealITK popping up moaning because we haven't won the Champion's League yet.

2nd in the league. Best position in 30 years. I bet there's more people on this forum who were barely out of nappies the last time we have a run like this compared to those that weren't, and yet still there's whiney cunts abound. Jesus. It seems we get worse melters here after a win than I see on rival forums after they lose. Despicable.
I honestly cant remember us ever being this close to winning the league and i'm well in my 30's now

Some incredible posts on here

We won FFS

Easily

Virtual total dominance

Yes we cd easily have got 6 but just look at the table
:levystare:

We're opening up a nice little gap to those just behind us

Andros will score a brace tonite as Leicester wobble

Poch totally vindicated sending some of our second string to Dortmund and I hope we rest players again on Thursday so that we can batter Bournemouth on Sunday

It's called the 'bigger' picture

Let's be honest we're not in the quarters of semis for the EL, if we were playing Dortmund in those rounds we'd be taking it a bit more seriously. As it is, it's the equivalent to the 5th round of the FA Cup. Our priority is the League, anyone saying that we are throwing cups need to take a look at themselves, we're trying to win biggest prize in English football, we are close, so very close!

Great reading.

Premier League winners and losers

Date published: Monday 14th March 2016 12:34

Toby-Alderweireld-Tottenham-Football365-700x367.jpg

Winners

Toby Alderweireld
The odds for the PFA Player of the Year are indicative of our infatuation with attacking players and obsession with young, English talents. Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez, Mesut Ozil, Dimitri Payet and Harry Kane make up the predictable (but fully understandable) top five.

There are 15 players quoted with odds for the award, ranging in price from evens to 100/1, yet the Premier League’s best defender this season does not even merit mention. Should Tottenham pip Leicester to the Premier League title, there is a strong case for Alderweireld winning the gong. Instead, he’s been entirely forgotten.

Last season, Tottenham conceded 53 league goals. That was the highest number in the top half, the same as relegated Burnley and more than relegated Hull. Since then, the Premier League’s joint 14th best defence has become the best, and the only new member of the back five is Alderweireld. He was also part of a Southampton defence that conceded fewer goals than all but one team last season.

The statistic is startling. Since arriving in England, Alderweireld has started 56 matches and only conceded 46 goals in those games. He is the central defender Manchester United, Chelsea, Woolwich and Manchester City should have signed, and he’s leading Tottenham to places they have never been before.

Harry Kane

Premier League goals since the beginning of last season:
Sergio Aguero – 42
Harry Kane – 40
Diego Costa – 31
Romelu Lukaku – 28
Olivier Giroud – 26
Jamie Vardy – 24
Alexis Sanchez – 23
Christian Benteke – 20
Graziano Pelle – 20

One-season wonder my a*se. And I for one doubted him.

Dele Alli
Missed terribly in midweek when suspended for the trip to Dortmund, Alli was back on Sunday to demonstrate just how far he has come. When was the last time the odds for Young Player of the Year were stacked so firmly in one player’s direction?

Alli now has 15 goals and assists combined this season, sitting in equal tenth position by that measure. To put his development in perspective, Alli is almost three years younger than every player above him. Seven of the nine ahead of him in that list are more than half a decade his senior. And he’s ours!

Graziano Pelle
You suspect that Pelle’s goal drought might already have persuaded Ronald Koeman to upgrade his striker in the summer, but Saturday’s goals came as a reminder of just what the Italian can do. Thirteen goalless games and 885 playing minutes were eradicated in style.

Pelle is a frustrating striker, yet one who it is impossible not to like. His shot accuracy this season is a woeful 35% and his conversion rate of 15% below many of his Premier League counterparts, yet when he finds space in the box and heads home as for his equaliser on Saturday, you wonder how he doesn’t score many more. He is a magnificent player to watch when in form, but… and there’s always the but.

“It was a great response from Graziano today,” Koeman said. “He was strong and kept the ball and scored two goals. I understand you can’t score two goals every week but as a striker you need to be important. He knows he’s a big personality and he had a great game today.”

It’s just a shame we had to wait so long.

Bournemouth
Three consecutive league victories for the second time this season, and at the perfect time to secure the club’s Premier League safety. Given the serious injuries suffered by Max Gradel, Callum Wilson, Tommy Elphick and Tyrone Mings, this has been stunning effort from Bournemouth. It’s also flown almost entirely under the radar.

Below is a table created since the beginning of December (courtesy of the wonderful Statto.com), highlighting the superb job done by Eddie Howe. This is not a team of stars, but a squad formed of those loyal to the club and their manager. The morale at Bournemouth is like no other club in the Premier League, and it’s helped them through.

At the start of the season, Simon Francis told me how the players are excited to train every day under a manager who they believe is set for the very top. When the going got tough, Howe proved them right.

Max Gradel
Having suffered a serious injury in August, it was always going to take Gradel a few games to grow back into the pace of the Premier League. An excellent display at St James’ Park last weekend was followed by a match-winning performance against Swansea. Again, just how good could Bournemouth have been with him and Wilson fit all season?

Norwich
One unexpected step forward, and some vital confidence gained at Carrow Road. Norwich’s next two home fixtures are against Newcastle and Sunderland. That’s the season right there.

Losers

Manuel Pellegrini
England’s richest clubs now each have a maximum of one competition to play for. Manchester United have the FA Cup, Woolwich have the Premier League, Chelsea have… ah well, and Manchester City now only have the Champions League after a dull draw at Norwich effectively ruled them out of the title race. Should Leicester beat Newcastle on Monday evening, Pellegrini’s side will be 12 points behind with nine games remaining and three teams to get past. The maths don’t work, as The Verve didn’t sing.

For Pellegrini, a CV is being undermined. Until the beginning of February, he garnered much of the sympathy for his expected departure. As Sarah Winterburn wrote, this was a man about whom nobody could find anything bad to say. Six weeks later and it is City supporters cursing their manager’s limp inaction.

City have now won two of their last eight games in 90 minutes, the first leg victory over Dynamo Kiev and a home victory over Aston Villa equivalent to a free pass. An FA Cup challenge was given away to Chelsea (although in understandable circumstances) and a title bid has faltered from a position of strength. It is City’s squandering of their league position that is most damaging to Pellegrini’s reputation, and you can forget the party line about Pep Guardiola’s announcement ruining City’s chances. They were struggling long before February 1.

A league table created since the beginning of November sees City in tenth position, behind Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool, Stoke and Southampton, among others. They have scored only 26 goals in those 18 games, embarrassing for a club with such attacking riches.

The overriding suspicion is that City will come unstuck against one of the Champions league’s elite clubs, and it is fitting that Pellegrini will leave having won only the Capital One Cup in his final season. There is no doubting his serenity, politeness and gentle spirit, but these are not attributes found at the forefront of a true winner’s personality. If City have higher ambitions, they need a more inspiring manager.

Pep Guardiola
His first competitive game in charge of City could feasibly be a Europa League play-off tie. This season, that round includes such luminaries as Astra Giurgiu, Zorya Luhansk and Kairat. Glamour.

English managers
Every week the problem seems to be exacerbated. We’re now left with a situation where Eddie Howe, a manager with 30 matches of top-flight managerial experience, is England’s most obvious hope. For those who assume that I am being hyperbolic, examine the evidence:

No. of managers in Europe’s top five leagues:
English – 4 (Howe, Gary Neville, Alan Pardew and Sam Allardyce)
German – 12
Spanish – 20
French – 20
Italian – 20

No. of managers aged 50 or below in Europe’s top five leagues (the future):
English – 2 (Howe and Neville)
Italian – 6
German – 10
Spanish – 13
French – 13

Top 10 highest-ranked English managers under the age of 50 (permanent only):
Gary Neville – 12th (Spain)
Eddie Howe – 13th
Sean Dyche – 21st
Gary Rowett – 28th
Simon Grayson – 30th
Dean Smith – 37th
Karl Robinson – 41st
Nigel Clough – 45th
Justin Edinburgh – 47th
Neil Harris – 49th

Stoke City
A season over in mid-March. The optimists will say that the security of mid-table acts like a comfort blanket. The pessimists will look at Everton, Crystal Palace and Watford in the FA Cup semi-finals and wonder what might have been. All are below Stoke in the table and all too surely safe from relegation.

Patrick Bamford
A difficult season epitomised in three embarrassing seconds.

Scott Sinclair
Another dreadful season for Sinclair. Given 20 minutes to impress off the bench against Spurs, he touched the ball seven times, completed two passes and was caught offside once. He reportedly earns £2m a year for this sh*t.

Joleon Lescott
Lescott started a competitive game for England less than three years ago, which takes a while to sink in. He also won a Premier League winner’s medal the season before last, which is all kinds of wrong. How the never-really-mighty have fallen.

Daniel Storey

Premier League winners and losers - Football365

I honestly cant remember us ever being this close to winning the league and i'm well in my 30's now
When I started following the team and football in general I was 18 so I was a late comer. This is my 20th Anniversary and all I've seen is a gradual improvement. Sure, there have been some mistakes along the way and I think that on occasion would could've progressed further. But the past 5 years have been, without doubt, the best of my supporting career. I just can't find much to moan about...which is why I don't understand those who seem to find a problem in any result. In a way the fact that we were shit when I started supporting did me a favour. It taught me the real beauty of folliowing a side through think and thin. That's why I can't stand irrational moaners and the twats that defend them.

Villa were so poor, no pressure, no willpower nothing. They had a decent spell because at times in the second half we treated them like the U17 from a second tier club from Hong Kong but other then that we were completely dominant and could've easily scored 5 or 6.

Well, they are a bit better than the U17 from a second tier club from Hong Kong, but just a bit...

653d411egw1e8feuvhtvug206i03fqv6.gif

Weren't we singing 'la la la la laaaaa you're shit' at them for 10 minutes?

To be fair they started it with stuff like "how shit must you be, its only 0-0" after half hour and they actually joined in when our support started that on them, good natured fans for a club so much in the shit through no fault of their own.

Love in with the fans was a bit much to be honest, each to their own.

We didn't play very well but we didn't have to. Can confidently say had we needed to up our game then we could and would have done but we didn't need to be out of first gear. I'd be a bit pissed off if the GD wasn't so good but we're well ahead of our competitors in that too so I can't complain too much.

I get all this title talk but I honestly am far far more concerned about top 4 at the moment. We could have a terrible run of games and find ourselves a little embarrassed at the end of the season.

I get all this title talk but I honestly am far far more concerned about top 4 at the moment. We could have a terrible run of games and find ourselves a little embarrassed at the end of the season.
That's why this title chase is so important, there's no room for the players to say ah well we're cosy in the top 4 let's take things easy. In contrary, we are chasing the title so every game is full on important. Let's see how such a young team copes with that, the benefit being that we actually have experienced players amongst them like Toby, Eriksen and Lloris who know what it takes to go all the way.

And Kane losing his mask will unleash the beast like never before

Another aspect of the past couple of seasons, has been the honest assessments that come out post match. If we don't play well we say it, if we have good fortune we say it. There is no fluffy Martinez or Rodgers bullshit. I like it.

I feel some are neglecting the season as a collective of games and looking at now. We have been playing so well all season and are up there on bloody merit. Against Villa, it was a case of turn up and get your points (no disrespect to them) but they are awful. Ive not got a problem with performing averagely and getting the points (if we are that good so be it). We laboured at times against Villa and only gave as much effort as needed but who can blame them. Bournemouth will be different, we will need to be full on, 100% committed and must not give anything away. We need to play as a team that wants to be champions of the PL. COYS

Just like to thank the faceless hero who come up with the bowie starman chant. Heard in the witon arms after the game and now can't get it out my head. It was sang on the train and belted out in Euston. Now how am I suppose to work.

He's a starman Standing on the side
His name is Pochettino And his football blows my mind.

Repeat to fade

Villa is the poorest PL side I have seen in years. I really feel bad for their supporters. We weren't even close to our best and could have scored a hatful. Never seen a PL side allow us so much space and time on the ball. I can see why their fans are irate. They have little talent in their team but even more damning there really is no fight or desire at all. Quite sad actually as Villa really have some great supporters and are a club I always had respect for.

Why is everyone getting their knickers in a twist about literally 15 posts that go against your personal narrative?

So many enforcers on here over something so trivial. The ones shouting against them so vociferously and in some cases violently are much more embarrassing than the very, very occasional naysayer.

Just stick them on ignore.

Why are there naysayers when we're two points off the top with eight games to go? Which football club do they think they're supporting? I think it's fairly obvious that they are fans of other clubs who get a kick out of spoiling the party. I'm surprised that your instincts have led you astray on this one.

Perspicacity is usually your watchword.

Why are there naysayers when we're two points off the top with eight games to go? Which football club do they think they're supporting? I think it's fairly obvious that they are fans of other clubs who get a kick out of spoiling the party. I'm surprised that your instincts have led you astray on this one.

Perspicacity is usually your watchword.
Would have hit agree sooner, but I had to google pers... perscip....parsnip.....

I had to google that word you used.

Haha had to google it too lol but i m not a native speaker so shame on you CousinEddie CousinEddie

I think Dembele must have had the easiest game in his career yesterday, so little pressure on the ball. You could also see he wasnt really bothered to step it up a notch, just strolling around bossing the rare few who tried to challenge him

Back
Top Bottom