Barça is bankrupt. 1.000M€ debt and January's wages can't be paid

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The metric system is vastly superior, but that's not what I'm talking about here.
It's all mathematics, though, isn't it? My point being why would anyone listen to us on how to use mathematical punctuation when we still use a unit of measure ordained in the 12th century as 3 grains of barley taken from the middle of the ear.

When it comes to math, really, we Anglos should just always assume that its us who are the fools.

It's all mathematics, though, isn't it? My point being why would anyone listen to us on how to use mathematical punctuation when we still use a unit of measure ordained in the 12th century as 3 grains of barley taken from the middle of the ear.

When it comes to math, really, we Anglos should just always assume that its us who are the fools.
In point of fact, systems of measurements are not math.

In point of fact, they are. Without systems of measurement, math is merely numbers. Math is a language, numbers are the alphabet of that language and systems of measurement are the root words that give meaning to arrangement of that alphabet.
Systems of measurement are arbitrary. They are not math.

Words are arbitrary, language is not. Without systems of measurement "math" is meaningless.
giphy.gif

Who says that math has to be applied? Every single math teacher I ever had was dogshit at explaining why math was important to learn.

There are entire fields of mathematics devoted to pure math and number theory, exploring the limits of mathematics without applied constraints.

giphy.gif

Who says that math has to be applied? Every single math teacher I ever had was dogshit at explaining why math was important to learn.

There are entire fields of mathematics devoted to pure math and number theory, exploring the limits of mathematics without applied constraints.
And people made up Klingon. Just because people do something, doesn't make it useful. Math without application is as useful as tits on a boar.

Further, numbers, themselves, are nothing more than units of measure. 1 is 10 0.1s. 5 is 5 1s. They're measuring abstract quantities, but they're still measuring that quantity.

And people made up Klingon. Just because people do something, doesn't make it useful. Math without application is as useful as tits on a boar.
Further, numbers, themselves, are nothing more than units of measure. 1 is 10 0.1s. 5 is 5 1s. They're measuring abstract quantities, but they're still measuring that quantity.
This entire conversation is critically useful. I think everyone should be brought in to comment on this argument.

Excel geeks in the house
Here is a fun excel formula that I have developed which has contributed to my psychosis.

=IF(AND(H43<$H$37,I43<$I$37,J43<$J$37),$G$37,IF(AND(H43<$H$38,I43<$I$38,J43<$J$38),$G$38,IF(AND(H43<$H$39,I43<$I$39,J43<$J$39),$G$39,IF(AND(H43<$H$40,I43<$I$40,J43<$J$40),$G$40))))

That formula combines with other, similar formulas to feed variables into the formula below.

=IF($H$32="Single",$H$44,K43&"T "&IF($H$33="Clear",,IF(OR($H$33="Gray",$H$33="Bronze"),$H$33,IF($H$33="Clear",,"Q"&$H$33)))&" / "&L43&" FBD"&" / "&IF($H$34="Clear",,IF(OR($H$34="Gray",$H$34="Bronze"),$H$34,IF($H$34="Clear",,"Q"&$H$34)))&" ")&K43&"T"

That formula generates a complete order string for an insulated glass lite which contains tempering information, Low-E choices, tint options, glass thicknesses, and spacer bar information to submit to a glass manufacturer.

Here is a fun excel formula that I have developed which has contributed to my psychosis.

=IF(AND(H43<$H$37,I43<$I$37,J43<$J$37),$G$37,IF(AND(H43<$H$38,I43<$I$38,J43<$J$38),$G$38,IF(AND(H43<$H$39,I43<$I$39,J43<$J$39),$G$39,IF(AND(H43<$H$40,I43<$I$40,J43<$J$40),$G$40))))

That formula combines with other, similar formulas to feed variables into the formula below.

=IF($H$32="Single",$H$44,K43&"T "&IF($H$33="Clear",,IF(OR($H$33="Gray",$H$33="Bronze"),$H$33,IF($H$33="Clear",,"Q"&$H$33)))&" / "&L43&" FBD"&" / "&IF($H$34="Clear",,IF(OR($H$34="Gray",$H$34="Bronze"),$H$34,IF($H$34="Clear",,"Q"&$H$34)))&" ")&K43&"T"

That formula generates a complete order string for an insulated glass lite which contains tempering information, Low-E choices, tint options, glass thicknesses, and spacer bar information to submit to a glass manufacturer.
:roseunsure:

Nice.

I work in finance, you would be surprised how many big money decisions are made based on spreadsheet formula similar to this. Often after the original author having left the company and no one really knowing what it does.

Nice.

I work in finance, you would be surprised how many big money decisions are made based on spreadsheet formula similar to this. Often after the original author having left the company and no one really knowing what it does.
I understand that completely, because I've been trying to find someone willing to learn this crap and they all run screaming in horror from it.

And it just keeps getting more and more complex.

Nice.

Sometimes it takes me ages to figure out exactly what I was trying to do on some of the formulae in my excel worksheets when I've not used them for a while.

I understand that completely, because I've been trying to find someone willing to learn this crap and they all run screaming in horror from it.

And it just keeps getting more and more complex.
I've started doing a lot more sql in recent years but in both instances (excel) I have been choosing to break things up into chunks and not monster formula so others can follow.

After trying to decipher people's formula and fixing things that are broken. I now have a "motto". It's not if we can do it but whether we should.

Back
Top Bottom