Barcelona 2021/22

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry for them? Not exactly. But I don't like the lack of decent teams across Europe. The English teams and Bayern Munich are the only real force. The lack of competitiveness is not inspiring me to tune in

It's not as if Barca would be any more competitive, in fact it's good for them not to qualify because it would have been seriously embarrassing for them in the next round.

Reckon if Barca were playing in the Prem they'd be around where Leeds are now.

It's not as if Barca would be any more competitive, in fact it's good for them not to qualify because it would have been seriously embarrassing for them in the next round.

Based on what? If it's based on their CL form, well, look at how the 5th team in the EPL right now did against a 4th placed team in the Slovenian league...
True, La Liga is in a bit of a slump right now as neither Real M., Atl. M. nor Barca are as dominant as they once were....but La Liga ain't that bad as some may want to believe...

Based on what? If it's based on their CL form, well, look at how the 5th team in the EPL right now did against a 4th placed team in the Slovenian league...
True, La Liga is in a bit of a slump right now as neither Real M., Atl. M. nor Barca are as dominant as they once were....but La Liga ain't that bad as some may want to believe...

My eyes

They're closer to relegation than the top of the table in a league you say is in a slump.

You're really actually comparing our one off match as a basis of your argument, why would you do that? Take the results from all the teams in Europe as an overall perspective and you'll get a more clear idea.

Barca only scored 2 goals in their CL group, that's pitiful.

My eyes

They're closer to relegation than the top of the table in a league you say is in a slump.

You're really actually comparing our one off match as a basis of your argument, why would you do that? Take the results from all the teams in Europe as an overall perspective and you'll get a more clear idea.

Barca only scored 2 goals in their CL group, that's pitiful.
I am not denying that Barca's been poor in the CL but claiming they'd be bottom half because of that form when Spurs have done even poorer in Europe, and are now 5th in the EPL, is simply a baseless hypothesis.
And it's not just the loss to Mura I am talking about. Spurs also lost 0-1 away to Pacos de Ferreira in the 1st qualifier and lost 0-1 away Vitesse. You can't call that just a one-off match blip...

I am not denying that Barca's been poor in the CL but claiming they'd be bottom half because of that form when Spurs have done even poorer in Europe, and are now 5th in the EPL, is simply a baseless hypothesis.
And it's not just the loss to Mura I am talking about. Spurs also lost 0-1 away to Pacos de Ferreira in the 1st qualifier and lost 0-1 away Vitesse. You can't call that just a one-off match blip...

Yet I'm not only using their CL form as a basis, did you read what I said about the league, look where they are in the league for God Sake and how far away they are from the top.

And you go ahead and conflate our results against teams like Pacos and Vitesse (under Nuno) with our current standing now, it's pretty obvious that we are 5th because of our recent form, it's not like we've been sailing on in 5th and been consistent is it? In fact if you're using those results against Pacos or Vitesse or last season Zagreb and Antwerp etc... losing against Mura away that tells you more about Spurs if anything not about the reflective strength of the league.

So yeah once again if you're going to attempt to rebuttal such an argument maybe use more than one team, like for example all the respective teams playing in European comp, not just Spurs who we know have been utter balls for a while particularly in Europe.

I meant in general terms. There is a lack of quality throughout Europe, not just barca. I used to have to ponder which game I was going to watch. Now I have to decide which is the least worst.

I meant in general terms. There is a lack of quality throughout Europe, not just barca. I used to have to ponder which game I was going to watch. Now I have to decide which is the least worst.

Fair

Although I just think the quality now has filtered down a bit more to Europa, Europa was a pants comp back in the day now there are some decent teams, makes for more interesting ties.

Yet I'm not only using their CL form as a basis, did you read what I said about the league, look where they are in the league for God Sake and how far away they are from the top.

And you go ahead and conflate our results against teams like Pacos and Vitesse (under Nuno) with our current standing now, it's pretty obvious that we are 5th because of our recent form, it's not like we've been sailing on in 5th and been consistent is it? In fact if you're using those results against Pacos or Vitesse or last season Zagreb and Antwerp etc... losing against Mura away that tells you more about Spurs if anything not about the reflective strength of the league.

So yeah once again if you're going to attempt to rebuttal such an argument maybe use more than one team, like for example all the respective teams playing in European comp, not just Spurs who we know have been utter balls for a while particularly in Europe.
If Barca survive a play off and drew either West Ham of Leicester City I'm supremely confident they would get humped...

Barca are far off run-away leaders Real M., yes. 16 points to be exact; and 8 points off 2nd place, while being 6 points from a CL spot. Not that bad for a club the way they started the season (after having been so badly managed).

Don’t forget that 15 out of Spurs’ present 25 points were actually won under Nuno… :cool:

You were talking about the quality of Barca compared to that of the EPL club Leeds, and one way of comparing is to use the results against other European clubs. And since Leeds have not been playing in Europe for ages I just used Spurs as an example. And it was you and NOT me who brought up the results from the previous season. Besides, I am not saying that right now La Liga’s top teams are on the same level with those of the EPL. EPL clubs have so much more money than most La Liga clubs anyway to compete on equal terms.

Leicester, btw, got knocked out by Napoli & Spartak Moskva. Not exactly European “powers” either.

But anyway, if you believe Barca would struggle in the bottom half of the EPL, fine with me. We’ll just differ.

9a3119286c89ca73fd704d2b2388737d.jpg

Barca are far off run-away leaders Real M., yes. 16 points to be exact; and 8 points off 2nd place, while being 6 points from a CL spot. Not that bad for a club the way they started the season (after having been so badly managed).

Don’t forget that 15 out of Spurs’ present 25 points were actually won under Nuno… :cool:

You were talking about the quality of Barca compared to that of the EPL club Leeds, and one way of comparing is to use the results against other European clubs. And since Leeds have not been playing in Europe for ages I just used Spurs as an example. And it was you and NOT me who brought up the results from the previous season. Besides, I am not saying that right now La Liga’s top teams are on the same level with those of the EPL. EPL clubs have so much more money than most La Liga clubs anyway to compete on equal terms.

Leicester, btw, got knocked out by Napoli & Spartak Moskva. Not exactly European “powers” either.

But anyway, if you believe Barca would struggle in the bottom half of the EPL, fine with me. We’ll just differ.

I mean you could have just used West Ham but you have conveniently ignored them, but anyway 🤷‍♀️

If you want to turn this into a league vs league debate be my guest, I merely made an observation about an isolated team and where I think they'd be in the Prem based of what I've seen of them, you're the one who started throwing other teams results at me as if I was comparing leagues, you might want to have that debate, I don't.

There's a lot of reaching going on in your argument here especially the last paragraph which I had to laugh at (sorry) because I didn't actually say that...not sure you were paying attention to what I said, either that or you are happy to misinterpret my quotes just to try and force a separate argument.

Don't you think the fact that you are using Spurs as a barometer for Barca in itself speaks volumes?

City/Chavs/Utd is their rightful comparative bench-mark; not us.

A big drop off in attendance when he left as the Messi tourists don't come. Performance would play into it but Messi is a factor.

Don't you think the fact that you are using Spurs as a barometer for Barca in itself speaks volumes?

City/Chavs/Utd is their rightful comparative bench-mark; not us.
The point being made was that Barca was on the same level as Leeds right now (i.e. the bottom half of the EPL) - not on the same level as Man City or Chelski.
Personally, I believe Barca are somewhere "in-between" right now.

Back
Top Bottom