Beşiktaş on Thursday (1882??)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jennings was huge too! Seen him pull a ball in with one hand from corners.
He was 6'0" - not particularly big - but he had huge hands IIRC. He used to play without gloves for a lot of the season as well.
That catching one handed thing was something he was encouraged to do by Paul Trevillion whilst he was at the goons

He had zero shots because nobody passed to him all night! And I don't think he did "fuck all". Seems too easy to assume because he didn't score, he didn't do anything.

Who passed to Kane all night? Xavi? Modric?

No but he was extremely effective, worked hard and was heavily involved, scoring and having at least three efforts that I remember...all with the exact same team around him. Amazing.

Soldado would never have taken on that shot for Kanes goal. Says it all.

Not getting too into the Welbeck hype on the back of a CL hat-trick. Seeing as Bender got one for the Scum too.

Not hyping him at all. But he's contributing to a better team than us, improving them and scoring goals.

Its laughable that we are too good for him and laughable that people who thought he was shit claim now we should have gone all out for him.

I think everyone wanted Bobby to come good this season as the whole team was all over the place last season. We lost our metronome Luka and our talisman Bale. It was unlikely that anyone was going to come in and fill the gap. In terms of goals if you want to compare Soldado to another striker just look at the buys of Michu 2M, Welbeck 16M, even Van Persie 24M. Soldado is not cutting it at all in this league. He does not justify the fee we paid for him. I can understand him taking a season to settle and I don't think he's a bad player or a bad guy in terms of effort but what we got for the money wasn't worth it. Other teams can spend big and have flops but we'd been aching for that top class striker for too long and when it came it is very disappointing that we paid 24M? for a squad player who looks more likely to hit the crowd than the goal. I never saw him play in Spain and I here he was a top scorer there but WTF is he trying to do here? I guess the environment is different but surely the football pitch is the same? I don't really understand it. Or were their wingers amazing and put passes on a platter for him?
Kane looks a lot better and he's a youth player who I wrote off the other season for spitting on himself. Soldado looks done. It's not the first time. Forlan who I love seeing in a Uruguay shirt failed at United. Maybe we just need to wrap this one up and look to the youth team. They've really stuck with Kane. It's wicked to see these young players coming good. Mason changed the game against Forest. He won it and was great against the Arse. I'd rather have Defoe than Soldado tbh. He wasn't the most unselfish footballer in the world but the little man took his chances and boy was he Spur!. Through and through. You cannot justify playing Soldado as a striker when he's scored so few goals. Defoe would have murdered his goals to games ratio. We need to loan him back to a Spanish team and get someone in who can fucking bang them in!

Not hyping him at all. But he's contributing to a better team than us, improving them and scoring goals.

Its laughable that we are too good for him and laughable that people who thought he was shit claim now we should have gone all out for him.
Tbf, I agree. I was all for Welbeck. But not as a ST if I remember myself correctly. Think I wanted him for the LF role but sexy Chadli's doing the business there. I'd rather see Kane get the go ahead of Welbeck (if we were to get him back then). Welbeck looks a good 2nd striker. Not sure he the answer at ST for a top 4 club, but he'd have been good for us.

EDIT - Also think the money was a bit steep.

I think everyone wanted Bobby to come good this season as the whole team was all over the place last season. We lost our metronome Luka and our talisman Bale. It was unlikely that anyone was going to come in and fill the gap. In terms of goals if you want to compare Soldado to another striker just look at the buys of Michu 2M, Welbeck 16M, even Van Persie 24M. Soldado is not cutting it at all in this league. He does not justify the fee we paid for him. I can understand him taking a season to settle and I don't think he's a bad player or a bad guy in terms of effort but what we got for the money wasn't worth it. Other teams can spend big and have flops but we'd been aching for that top class striker for too long and when it came it is very disappointing that we paid 24M? for a squad player who looks more likely to hit the crowd than the goal. I never saw him play in Spain and I here he was a top scorer there but WTF is he trying to do here? I guess the environment is different but surely the football pitch is the same? I don't really understand it. Or were their wingers amazing and put passes on a platter for him?
Kane looks a lot better and he's a youth player who I wrote off the other season for spitting on himself. Soldado looks done. It's not the first time. Forlan who I love seeing in a Uruguay shirt failed at United. Maybe we just need to wrap this one up and look to the youth team. They've really stuck with Kane. It's wicked to see these young players coming good. Mason changed the game against Forest. He won it and was great against the Arse. I'd rather have Defoe than Soldado tbh. He wasn't the most unselfish footballer in the world but the little man took his chances and boy was he Spur!. Through and through. You cannot justify playing Soldado as a striker when he's scored so few goals. Defoe would have murdered his goals to games ratio. We need to loan him back to a Spanish team and get someone in who can fucking bang them in!

Defoe absolutely trounces Soldado.

Interesting that you mention Soldado in Spain. Had he been shit there, would people be lauding his "efforts" for us? Its like the hope has turned into blind fantasy to a lot of fans.

I think Welbeck at 16 million was a fucking steal. He's a great young striker. United need stars and results. Welbeck needs support and a run in the team. He'll get that at the Scum. I'd have him over Soldado any day though. Better work rate, packer and way more likely to make something happen. Not bitter though.

Slow day at work?

I finished two hours ago and have been home chilling thanks.

Im not bored, Im simply trying to understand how people separate one diabolical performance from another and claim that everyone else is responsible for their displays, but Soldado is not.

He must have made about ten thousand "brilliant runs" with his "world class movement" if you listen to this forum.

But NO ONE passes to him. He's too good for us then I take it? Way ahead of us?

Yet two managers have dropped him, and we have two other strikers who actually have shots.

Defoe absolutely trounces Soldado.

Interesting that you mention Soldado in Spain. Had he been shit there, would people be lauding his "efforts" for us? Its like the hope has turned into blind fantasy to a lot of fans.

I never saw him play in Spain. The only Spanish football I've seen are the top teams Real and Barca really so I don't understand why a top scorer in La Liga wouldn't be successful here other than the logical reasons of a faster more physical game.

I think all the Spurs fans recognise that the moment we should have gone big for a top striker was when we got Saha. TBH I love Saha as a player and he scored some great goals for us but in hindsight the managerial mess we were in (Levy about to sack Redknapp) didn't allow us to spend the money. It is a fuckup of massive proportions though. If we'd gone all out then we could arguably be in the position Liverpool are in now.

So when we finally bought THE STRIKER for 24? 26? million it felt like he wasn't the first choice. We sniffed around Lukaku, Benteke. He was older and you would think wiser but when we signed him I think a lot of fans had a sigh of relief.

Fucking finally we've SPENT SOME MONEY on a top striker with a proven goalscoring record. We did. It's just a crying shame that he's not suited to this league. Not fast enough and not strong enough and it doesn't help that his confidence is shot to shit from an awful first season with very contradictory managerial style.

Our slow build up play doesn't suit his style. Valencia had a lot more pace when he was scoring for them judging by that clips sequence posted months ago. He needs players to get to the byline and pull the ball back which we are not doing at the moment. Our current style and his don't compliment each other at all - he needs to arrive late in the box, and not be isolated up front.

I never saw him play in Spain. The only Spanish football I've seen are the top teams Real and Barca really so I don't understand why a top scorer in La Liga wouldn't be successful here other than the logical reasons of a faster more physical game.

I think all the Spurs fans recognise that the moment we should have gone big for a top striker was when we got Saha. TBH I love Saha as a player and he scored some great goals for us but in hindsight the managerial mess we were in (Levy about to sack Redknapp) didn't allow us to spend the money. It is a fuckup of massive proportions though. If we'd gone all out then we could arguably be in the position Liverpool are in now.

So when we finally bought THE STRIKER for 24? 26? million it felt like he wasn't the first choice. We sniffed around Lukaku, Benteke. He was older and you would think wiser but when we signed him I think a lot of fans had a sigh of relief.

Fucking finally we've SPENT SOME MONEY on a top striker with a proven goalscoring record. We did. It's just a crying shame that he's not suited to this league. Not fast enough and not strong enough and it doesn't help that his confidence is shot to shit from an awful first season with very contradictory managerial style.

I think the biggest mistake was going into the CL with the same stikeforce. Would have been a good time to upgrade Pav and/or Crouch.

I actually think we've passed that stage now, playing with three AMs, and would happily throw Kane into the thick of it.

I still think Ade will do a job this season...bit for me Id like to see the back of Soldado in January.
Not for a marquee replacement, just a simple, hard working goal scorer.

Our slow build up play doesn't suit his style. Valencia had a lot more pace when he was scoring for them judging by that clips sequence posted months ago. He needs players to get to the byline and pull the ball back which we are not doing at the moment. Our current style and his don't compliment each other at all - he needs to arrive late in the box, and not be isolated up front.

The ultimate one track pony

Back
Top Bottom