Beşiktaş on Thursday (1882??)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our slow build up play doesn't suit his style. Valencia had a lot more pace when he was scoring for them judging by that clips sequence posted months ago. He needs players to get to the byline and pull the ball back which we are not doing at the moment. Our current style and his don't compliment each other at all - he needs to arrive late in the box, and not be isolated up front.
Is Valencia's game more counter attacking at speed down the wings? I don't know that much about La Liga. Apologies for my ignorance. Seeing him in a Spurs shirt it's so difficult to understand how he ever was a top scorer anywhere. So he was the player they pull the ball back to? I should just watch some of this if I'm going to criticise him really. It seems weird in that he's not particularly pacey, not that strong, Just got in good positions to score? Sounds a lot like Defoe no? With better passing ability maybe?

Is Valencia's game more counter attacking at speed down the wings? I don't know that much about La Liga. Apologies for my ignorance. Seeing him in a Spurs shirt it's so difficult to understand how he ever was a top scorer anywhere. So he was the player they pull the ball back to? I should just watch some of this if I'm going to criticise him really. It seems weird in that he's not particularly pacey, not that strong, Just got in good positions to score? Sounds a lot like Defoe no? With better passing ability maybe?
I don't know much about La Liga either. I'll post a link to the stuff I saw.

Sounds a lot like Defoe no?

Nothing like Defoe.

Defoe could score with both feet, had a ferocious shot, could turn a defender and shoot in one movement, pick the ball up and run from the halfway line, taking on players and have shots, dig deep and defend, start a match and be effective and be effective from the bench, shoot regularly and score goals.

His biggest downfall was inconsistency and greediness.

Right now Id take that inconsistency because it would mean that there is a 50% chance he will play a blinder, as opposed to the 0% you get with Soldado.

And a greedy striker is what we need. I dont want a striker that does one meter passes "very well" and never shoots.

Watched about half of it. 4 of them are penalties! The other goals look like really instinctive confidence finishes from crosses. But the defending isn't all that. He's not exactly getting bullied off the ball like he would in England. Makes you wonder apart from the numbers WTF we signed him!

It was a good match for us. Could be a crushing defeat for you if our strikers were a bit more talented (or lucky). Kudos for Lloris also. He was the real hero of last night. Your away game will surely be different, cos' Istanbul Olympic stadium's pitch is no better than a potato field nowadays.
Wish you'll enjoy your away game in Istanbul.

Nothing like Defoe.

Defoe could score with both feet, had a ferocious shot, could turn a defender and shoot in one movement, pick the ball up and run from the halfway line, taking on players and have shots, dig deep and defend, start a match and be effective and be effective from the bench, shoot regularly and score goals.

His biggest downfall was inconsistency and greediness.

Right now Id take that inconsistency because it would mean that there is a 50% chance he will play a blinder, as opposed to the 0% you get with Soldado.

And a greedy striker is what we need. I dont want a striker that does one meter passes "very well" and never shoots.

Yep I agree Sammy. In saying that he was 'A lot like Defoe'. I was comparing Soldado to a poacher rather than the Drogba more complete striker one up front guy that before a lot of fans were expecting seeing the other strikers like Lukaku and Benteke that we were in for.
I love Defoe. The little man cuddled me after a goal he scored in a Europa league match and he is pure Spurs. It seems mental that we had a great goal poacher and swopped him at great expense for another striker with similar style who didn't suit the style of football we wanted to play and ended up being a lot worse in terms of goals. Defoe is ruthless at a one on one and he's won countless games for us especially coming off the bench to menace a tired defence.
We would have done better sticking with the little man for another season and I might have had another cuddle!
I don't think Soldado is the solution up front for us and I'm sad we spent the money we did on him for the team but also for him. He's never stopped trying. I think seeing the type of striker Chelsea have signed in Costa Soldado is too nice. He's just not ruthless enough to push someone over to get to the ball. Costa got a little shove from Sigurrdson (sp?) the other week against Swansea and he was just, 'fuck you i'm not just pushing you back i'm pushing you over.' You can just tell he's an animal and he'll do anything to score. So far all we've seen from Soldado is some reasonably intelligent support play and a tendency to shit himself every time he gets close to the goal. It's not good enough for Spurs. We need a striker who either has the intelligence of Berbatov in his pomp or someone with a low centre of gravity and real Jaws style killer instinct.
I agree that in the penalty box Defoe would be my choice over Soldado every time. Sad as it makes me feel to say it. I just think he needs to move on. Still hope he proves me wrong though!

But we were sniffing around him the season before City got him, so that would have been before his expectations were that high. Deal fell through for whatever reason......probably another Levy negotiating fail

Yeah I remember reading about that too. We were all so excited when City paid the money for Fernandinho and Negredo and we got Soldado and Paulinho.

Peoples talking up Roberto's work-rate as some huge positive from last night is shocking. That should be expected with the type of wages he makes on a weekly basis. It isn't some attribute where players are differentiated from others. It should be a given which many lose site of these days. Too many of these primadona millionaires treat 90 minutes like it's some walk in the park when they should be giving every ounce of energy on the reg. Roberto is compensated wages in one year that many will never see in a lifetime. Produce. End of it.

Last edited:
Peoples talking up Roberto's work-rate as some huge positive from last night is shocking. That should be expected with the type of wages he makes on a weekly basis. It isn't some attribute where players are differentiated from others. It should be a given which many lose site of these days. Too many of these primadona millionaires treat 90 minutes like it's some walk in the park when they should be giving every ounce of energy on the reg.

Agreed. Work rate should be a given unless you're banging them in. He isn't.

The main concern for me is Fazio. He looks a lot less sure footed than Dawson. Chirches had an absolute mare last night but Fazio's passing out of defence was pretty awful. Even for a new signing he looks very below par. He's not even a good enough stopper. Terrible reading of the game, poor positional sense and no idea of how to marshall a decent striker. There were so many shots on our goal that only Lloris was there to stop. They just shouldn't have happened. I agree with the earlier a/b team post but these are meant to be premier league quality signings and they look panicked and lacklustre. It's a worry. We 're not going to finish in the top four. We need to make a decent fist of this competition and try to win it to get in the Champions League. COYS!

Big opportunity missed last night. Asteras becomes a 'must win' at the Lane. I was checking their attendances, they seem to get about 2000 in the Lge and got 3500 in the EL v Partizan. I should imagine Soldado cost more than the team they put out last night, might be well wrong of course.

I hope Poch fields a stronger team than last night against Asteras, e.g. no Vlad or Paulinho. Get players like Mason, Lamela, Jan/Kab in the team.

I also think Kane deserves to start Prem games as well as cup games. Hope he starts on Sunday.

Big opportunity missed last night. Asteras becomes a 'must win' at the Lane. I was checking their attendances, they seem to get about 2000 in the Lge and got 3500 in the EL v Partizan. I should imagine Soldado cost more than the team they put out last night, might be well wrong of course.

I hope Poch fields a stronger team than last night against Asteras, e.g. no Vlad or Paulinho. Get players like Mason, Lamela, Jan/Kab in the team.

I also think Kane deserves to start Prem games as well as cup games. Hope he starts on Sunday.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bentaleb in a more forward position in a game like that. (didn't he have a good goal scoring record in the youth in cam?)

Back
Top Bottom