Be like Sevilla; not Real Madrid

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well absolutely that's 3 points to success sadly point 3 "smart player recruitment" being fucked up meant we couldn't do a good job of point 2 and rotate as we have players who cost us goals and games

If this summer is ground zero lets hope we can get point 3 right starting now

Last edited:
So is this going to be the thread where we slag off Levy for being a "charlatan", whilst ignoring the salient points about Emery having game plans and strong squad rotation, where Poch doesn't?

So is this going to be the thread where we slag off Levy for being a "charlatan", whilst ignoring the salient points about Emery having game plans and strong squad rotation, where Poch doesn't?
Is this also going to be the thread where we ignore that Emery is part of a club with a great DoF and a full backroom of professionals, while Pochettino came into a disorganized mess?

Is this also going to be the thread where we ignore that Emery is part of a club with a great DoF and a full backroom of professionals, while Pochettino came into a disorganized mess?
A fair point. I'd love us to be like Sevilla, but the whole structure and it appears ambition of the club is miles behind them.

Oh, to take a big swing at winning the Europa.....

Yes, but before we start coaching, rotating, and going forward with a gameplan, like Seville......lets be like Real Madrid, just a little bit, and buy loads and loads and loads of players first, and spend millions and millions on our transfer wishlists.

:adethumbup:

'BE LIKE SEVILLA; NOT REAL MADRID'

'It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.'

'It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.'

If Bill was managing Spurs these days, with the club's stature being what it is, in relation to the rest of the football world, he would have had different things to say about the game. Anyone with any sense knows a club like Spurs needs to be run better, as per the example of clubs like Sevilla, and not per the example of clubs that can afford to spend 90 million pounds on a player.

Half the cunts on here don't give a shit about us getting pumped by Stoke. Hardly aiming high.

It's a lovely quote, but that isn't going to get us anywhere. Would saying we're going to win the title next year, then failing, have an echo of glory? Would we look at it like that? Bollocks would we!!

Sevilla are a great example of what we COULD achieve with the right manager and some smart purchases.

We're in the right place in the league, but we're underachieving in Europe and domestic cup competitions. We can and need to perform better in these now to help the growth of the club. There is no point finishing 5th or 6th every season and not getting close to winning trophies.

We're in the right place in the league

I think that you have a different opinion on that to Pochettino and Levy.
Its nice to be patient and "realistic", but 6/7th is not the right place in the league for a club with our history, ambitions and financial stability.

The club has a target for long term CL football. We have reached 4th twice, and the reason we have gone backwards has been down to our own faults, from Chairman to manager(s), not because the PL is suddenly a much tougher place. Its weaker overall, with Utd and City both looking a shadow of themselves.

It was not beyond us to reach 4th at a time where Liverpool, Woolwich and Utd have all struggled.

We have made our own mistakes. People talk about financial clout but ignore the fact we have spent about 150M the last two summer windows. In hindsight its all very well saying the signings were shit, but we were all coming in our pants at the time, and the likes of Soldado and Lamela have been defended to the hilt in some quarters as top players.....yet the same people claim they are not good enough in order to defend Poch.

Our target is not silverwear, otherwise we would have done everything in our power to win the cc final. Instead we put emphasis on the EL....not for the cup glory, but for the shot of a ticket into the CL. We didnt go all out in the EL though, because 4th in the league was still an option for us, so we tried to balance both and made a total mess of it.

we're underachieving in Europe and domestic cup competitions. We can and need to perform better in these now to help the growth of the club. There is no point finishing 5th or 6th every season and not getting close to winning trophies.

Again, while it would be great to win the FA Cup, or CC Cup, it wont help with the growth of the club whatsoever. So finishing 5th or 6th will always hold us back.

6th is par for us. 4th was massively outperforming. We can't compete with the big boys until we fill a 50,000 seat stadium every week. Until then the author of the article is broadly correct. I agree with an earlier poster than the English fixture schedule is more grueling and the league has MUCH greater strength in depth. I bet you get far more impact injuries in the English league too.

I think that you have a different opinion on that to Pochettino and Levy.
I don't. We should aim for top 4. But realistically finishing in the top 6 is more likely. They know that. We all do. We're weaker than we were 3 years ago. Modric, VDV, Bale, Berbatov, King...none have been replaced. How could we not b worse? We've done well to continue to maintain a high position in the premier league since the departure of so many star players.

Its nice to be patient and "realistic", but 6/7th is not the right place in the league for a club with our history, ambitions and financial stability.
Yes it is. What do you mean our history? Historically we're a cup team, not consistent league winners.

Financial stability is THE reason we don't compete. We don't spend what we don't have. Most clubs do.

The club has a target for long term CL football. We have reached 4th twice, and the reason we have gone backwards has been down to our own faults, from Chairman to manager(s), not because the PL is suddenly a much tougher place. Its weaker overall, with Utd and City both looking a shadow of themselves.
City still have an amazing squad, with some world class players. Don't let their recent poor form blind your judgement. We are nowhere near them.

I agree we have failed to build on what we had though. I think if we'd have been given that 2nd season in CL it would have done the world of good for the club.

We have made our own mistakes. People talk about financial clout but ignore the fact we have spent about 150M the last two summer windows. In hindsight its all very well saying the signings were shit, but we were all coming in our pants at the time, and the likes of Soldado and Lamela have been defended to the hilt in some quarters as top players.....yet the same people claim they are not good enough in order to defend Poch.
We have spent but we've also sold just as much. The players we've lost are irreplaceable. We cannot afford to buy equivalents to Modric, Bale or Berba. We have to unearth these types of players and that is not easy.

I have said several times we were all delighted with our 7 summer signings. Not sure what that has to do with this thread tbh.

Our target is not silverwear, otherwise we would have done everything in our power to win the cc final. Instead we put emphasis on the EL....not for the cup glory, but for the shot of a ticket into the CL. We didnt go all out in the EL though, because 4th in the league was still an option for us, so we tried to balance both and made a total mess of it.
Yes I realise it isn't...but it SHOULD BE.

That's the point of the thread.

It also points out that we talk all this shit about how the EL affects our league performance, yet Sevilla manage both extremely well.

Our form since we dropped out has been awful, so that can't be attributed to EL.

Again, while it would be great to win the FA Cup, or CC Cup, it wont help with the growth of the club whatsoever. So finishing 5th or 6th will always hold us back.
How are they linked? Winning the FA cup and finishing 5th/6th? Why will it hold us back? Finishing 8th with no EL football is better? That's sheer arrogance towards the competition in my view.

An FA cup or winning the EL would definitely help the club. I shouldn't even need to explain how or why tbh.

I don't. We should aim for top 4. But realistically finishing in the top 6 is more likely. They know that. We all do. We're weaker than we were 3 years ago. Modric, VDV, Bale, Berbatov, King...none have been replaced. How could we not b worse? We've done well to continue to maintain a high position in the premier league since the departure of so many star players.

Yes it is. What do you mean our history? Historically we're a cup team, not consistent league winners.

Financial stability is THE reason we don't compete. We don't spend what we don't have. Most clubs do.

City still have an amazing squad, with some world class players. Don't let their recent poor form blind your judgement. We are nowhere near them.

I agree we have failed to build on what we had though. I think if we'd have been given that 2nd season in CL it would have done the world of good for the club.

We have spent but we've also sold just as much. The players we've lost are irreplaceable. We cannot afford to buy equivalents to Modric, Bale or Berba. We have to unearth these types of players and that is not easy.

I have said several times we were all delighted with our 7 summer signings. Not sure what that has to do with this thread tbh.

Yes I realise it isn't...but it SHOULD BE.

That's the point of the thread.

It also points out that we talk all this shit about how the EL affects our league performance, yet Sevilla manage both extremely well.

Our form since we dropped out has been awful, so that can't be attributed to EL.

How are they linked? Winning the FA cup and finishing 5th/6th? Why will it hold us back? Finishing 8th with no EL football is better? That's sheer arrogance towards the competition in my view.

An FA cup or winning the EL would definitely help the club. I shouldn't even need to explain how or why tbh.

Again mate, your opinions on where we should be in the league are very different from Levy´s as confirmed by his statement today.

So while some fans may think 6-7th is ok and realistic, the club does not, and thats ultimately what counts.

Again mate, your opinions on where we should be in the league are very different from Levy´s as confirmed by his statement today.

So while some fans may think 6-7th is ok and realistic, the club does not, and thats ultimately what counts.
Levy HAS to say that. He wants CL football but in a sustainable fashion - so he can sell the club at a huge profit for ENIC. Hence the new stadium etc.

We're saying that for where we are in the club's development, 6th is a fair representation of our league position.

Levy HAS to say that. He wants CL football but in a sustainable fashion - so he can sell the club at a huge profit for ENIC. Hence the new stadium etc.

We're saying that for where we are in the club's development, 6th is a fair representation of our league position.

:avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm:

LEVY IS LYING!!! OUR TARGET IS NOT TOP 4!!!!!!

:pochbye:

Last edited:
:avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm:

LEVY IS LYING!!! OUR TARGET IS NOT TOP 4!!!!!!

:pochbye:
Mate, your caps lock is stuck on and I think you may have posted a few extra AVBs by mistake.

Back
Top Bottom