Beautiful goals thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be fair that is basically all free kicks these days. We all know from having seen Bale smash the ball wildly into the Paxton over and over and over again that his technique is essentially smack the ball hard on the valve and hope it bends funny. Most of the time it doesn't.

The glory days of players expertly swerving the ball with the exact amount of spin and dip to sneak into the top corner are gone. Even fucking Pirlo is adopting the twat it approach these days.
I would argue that the technique and accuracy of free-kick takers these days has gone up. It all depends on the distance really - if you're 40 yards out then how many players are going to curl it precisely into the top corner? Very difficult. Ronaldinho himself said that he used to place the valve in a particular manner so he could get the right amount of swerve.

I'm not sure if you're serious? Come back when you've scored a free-kick from 50 yards out and I'll take your opinion seriously
lol all he's done is leather it straight down the middle and it swerved loads to go in. Not sure how you can get so excited over it.

p.s. have you ever scored one from 50 yards? I doubt it, so should I not take your opinion seriously?

I would argue that the technique and accuracy of free-kick takers these days has gone up. It all depends on the distance really - if you're 40 yards out then how many players are going to curl it precisely into the top corner? Very difficult. Ronaldinho himself said that he used to place the valve in a particular manner so he could get the right amount of swerve.

The problem I have with that approach is the skill and technique is all on the training pitch. Repeated experiments with placement and subtle alterations. Very impressive and laudable, but more rote and machine like.

But there was a sense of artistry in the floated curler. A player judging at that moment in time how best to place the shot. The placed free-kick is the free jazz of football.

And hopefully that is the most wanky thing I will say today.

lol all he's done is leather it straight down the middle and it swerved loads to go in. Not sure how you can get so excited over it.

p.s. have you ever scored one from 50 yards? I doubt it, so should I not take your opinion seriously?
But I'm not the one that's disputing the goals quality. As if he's just 'leathered it down the middle', do you not think that Hamburg would have opted for a cross/pass from that distance if this guy doesn't have some quality at striking a football? Most likely.

One of the best goals I've ever seen. I honestly think that if Cristiano Ronaldo would have struck that then it would be lauded as one of the goals of the decade

But I'm not the one that's disputing the goals quality. As if he's just 'leathered it down the middle', do you not think that Hamburg would have opted for a cross/pass from that distance if this guy doesn't have some quality at striking a football? Most likely.

One of the best goals I've ever seen. I honestly think that if Cristiano Ronaldo would have struck that then it would be lauded as one of the goals of the decade
I'm not saying it takes no skill and he obviously has talent to strike a ball like that, but he has literally hit it straight down the middle and hoped for the best.

Ronaldo has scored a few like that though? People get excited for a day or 2 then they are forgotten about.

Dis one
hunter.gif

Back
Top Bottom