Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nothing hugely important here, I´m just amazed with his intelligence in general. He seems to be a really nice guy, but he is also fast and very direct in his answers - he understands everything. And, of course, he´s a true soldier and team player.

So he should be a politician and not a footballer!

I felt he was poor
wrong err GIF

Davies in first 10mins of the game:

1min: Ndombele gives the ball away, and Dinamo breaks, Davies starts almost level with Petkovic but he trails further and out of the play almost immediately. We were lucky Orsic didnt play the ball across to Petkovic who had acres of space

3min: Fails to cut out cross field ball, then hops around while everyone is pressing or marking

5min: Fails to attack the ball and loses header to Jakic. Dier has to cover behind at the side line, leaving Sanchez alone in the middle

6min: very late in pushing up and plays two dinamo players onside, including one in the middle

10min: Corner kick taken, ball comes to him after dinamo GK punch. Should have settled the ball and pass it to kane on the left in the box, or may put it back in the box to sustain attack or at the least pass back to retain possession. Instead tries to volley first time, sending the ball well out of play and bailing out Dinamo

the remaining 80mins werent much different

A solid backup, but the difference between him and Reguilon is night and day. His attacking attitude just isn't there, he makes the runs down the wing sure... but whenever the ball is played out to him in our half you can see one of our players making a run down the wing and every time he plays the safe, short pass either back to CB or into the middle. Either that, or purposefully looks to richochet the ball off the opposition to get the thrown in.

Defending he edges it on Reguilon though, no doubt.

Davies in first 10mins of the game:

1min: Ndombele gives the ball away, and Dinamo breaks, Davies starts almost level with Petkovic but he trails further and out of the play almost immediately. We were lucky Orsic didnt play the ball across to Petkovic who had acres of space

3min: Fails to cut out cross field ball, then hops around while everyone is pressing or marking

5min: Fails to attack the ball and loses header to Jakic. Dier has to cover behind at the side line, leaving Sanchez alone in the middle

6min: very late in pushing up and plays two dinamo players onside, including one in the middle

10min: Corner kick taken, ball comes to him after dinamo GK punch. Should have settled the ball and pass it to kane on the left in the box, or may put it back in the box to sustain attack or at the least pass back to retain possession. Instead tries to volley first time, sending the ball well out of play and bailing out Dinamo

the remaining 80mins werent much different
I'm sure he's happy for your 'support'.

We conceded nothing and he was responsible for saving a likely goal right at the end. For those two reasons alone I'm willing to forget that he may not have been perfect all game.

Imagine being so determined to be right about one of our own players being shit. Is so weird.

Happy for his performance.

I've been defending him and in the past .. a lot.
Though past 3 months or so he has been poor.

But yesterdays performance deserves praise. I hope it helps him to get confidence levels up again.
Reggie is clear 1st pick, but we can't play him in every single game (specially given the latest injury struggles).

One of our best ever buys. Rarely injured and always get a decent performance.
Reggie's crosses are more accurate but Davies is regularly involved in the build up to goals.

I'm sure he's happy for your 'support'.

We conceded nothing and he was responsible for saving a likely goal right at the end. For those two reasons alone I'm willing to forget that he may not have been perfect all game.

Imagine being so determined to be right about one of our own players being shit. Is so weird.
So we should ignore players' poor performances if we win the game and he saves a goal?

If he had been better, maybe we would have won by a bigger margin, making the second leg a mere formality.

All I have done is provided evidence in support of why I thought he was poor on the night. Didnt know it was better to make unsubstantiated claims.

Anyways, you are entitled to your tinted glasses as I am to mine. I doubt my mere opinion on a forum has any bearing on his performances, no matter how determined I may be.

So we should ignore players' poor performances if we win the game and he saves a goal?

If he had been better, maybe we would have won by a bigger margin, making the second leg a mere formality.

All I have done is provided evidence in support of why I thought he was poor on the night. Didnt know it was better to make unsubstantiated claims.

Anyways, you are entitled to your tinted glasses as I am to mine. I doubt my mere opinion on a forum has any bearing on his performances, no matter how determined I may be.
I guess my point was you could go through every player's 90 mins find errors or wrong decisions. At the end of the day it about how the team did and Ben was part of a winning team who kept a clean sheet.

For example, if Reggie played then maybe we would have scored another but then he may not have got back to save that goal at the end.

Davies is much maligned on here and I think it's unwarranted. It's so over the top it's farcical.

I guess my point was you could go through every player's 90 mins find errors or wrong decisions. At the end of the day it about how the team did and Ben was part of a winning team who kept a clean sheet.

For example, if Reggie played then maybe we would have scored another but then he may not have got back to save that goal at the end.

Davies is much maligned on here and I think it's unwarranted. It's so over the top it's farcical.
The result should not cloud one's judgement of performance - we could play poorly and win, and play well and lose.

Some people felt he played well, while I felt he didnt, and made same comment very early in the match thread (so not an after thought). It was only less obvious cos of the quality of the opposition.

If we want to compete for titles consistently, we need to upgrade the poorer players in the squad, and there are quite a few besides Winks and Sissoko.

Back
Top Bottom