Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our back 4 after Ben came on:
Royal Rodon Davies Reguilon
I don't think Ben has ever played a competetive game for Spurs with any of that line up before and astronomical odds he will ever again.
Freakish game so no long term conclusions to be made about any of the players playing.

if we sold Davies in the summer .....

he wouldn't have given Palace a pen yesterday?

If we didn't play Japh yesterday we wouldn't have gone down to 10 men.... If we didn't play Hugo, Dier wouldn't have got injured. If Dav & Romero had done as we'd asked then we wouldn't have had to call upon our 5th & 6th CB. If.... If.... If...

It's not like this was a gratuitous, unnecessary handball..... It was just a tough break... One which nearly happened to Skipp in the first half.

Those that already want BD gone are of course gonna use it against him.... Those that think he's fair enough as a back-up player aren't gonna use it against him.

Like I said in my first post..... Nothing else to see here.

If we didn't play Japh yesterday we wouldn't have gone down to 10 men.... If we didn't play Hugo, Dier wouldn't have got injured. If Dav & Romero had done as we'd asked then we wouldn't have had to call upon our 5th & 6th CB. If.... If.... If...

It's not like this was a gratuitous, unnecessary handball..... It was just a tough break... One which nearly happened to Skipp in the first half.

Those that already want BD gone are of course gonna use it against him.... Those that think he's fair enough as a back-up player aren't gonna use it against him.

It wasn't a tough break. He's a pro footballer blocking a cross, to have his hand stuck out like that is inexcusable. At all levels of football now players very well know to tuck their hands flat against, or behind their body. It's not difficult, and when you fail to do this it's a bad error that costs your team. Davies was crap for the second goal as well, and poor with the ball.

I normally stick up for Ben when he gets unnecessary stick but the handball was dreadful, he simply panicked. They are trained to put their hands behind their backs when blocking crosses now and he did the exact opposite. On the replay it looks terrible, he never even tries to tuck his hands back and just goes straight across with his arm.

The latest player to be added to the scapegoat list.

I think most of the criticism he gets is unwarranted, he has been a decent player for us in his time here, but he made a bad mistake with that penalty.

I don’t think anyone is putting his contribution to the defeat ahead of the dreadful team performance though. We lost the game because we were shit from first to last whistle. Not because of one mistake by one player.

There’s no denying he was at fault especially for the penalty, but he’s still a good squad player to have. There’s no need to scapegoat him for the result, there were numerous other players who were shit on the day too.

It wasn't a tough break. He's a pro footballer blocking a cross, to have his hand stuck out like that is inexcusable. At all levels of football now players very well know to tuck their hands flat against, or behind their body. It's not difficult, and when you fail to do this it's a bad error that costs your team.

People will still instinctively use their arms to propel movement though...... He was pulling his arm back into his body as it hit him.

As I said above; Skipp nearly came unstuck in the same way.... I guarantee he wouldn't have been gleefully slaughtered for it like BD was from certain quarters.

Davies was crap for the second goal as well, and poor with the ball.

I've not argued that he played well.... Just that him being 6th choice CB tells it's own tale

I think most of the criticism he gets is unwarranted, he has been a decent player for us in his time here, but he made a bad mistake with that penalty.

I don’t think anyone is putting his contribution to the defeat ahead of the dreadful team performance though. We lost the game because we were shit from first to last whistle. Not because of one mistake by one player.

THIS.

👍

One of those days. Dier goes off. Tanganga was lucky not to get a straight red - first contact was his hands in Zaha throat then the body check. BD his hand should never been sticking out. Royal - Zaha turned him several times, but when you look nobody was backing him up.
One of those days, that hopefully does not come round again.

It wasnt just the stupid handball though, was it? Looked a proper idiot for their second goal as well. Zero defensive instincts. Very Doherty-esque.

We were definitely shit. Winks' presence in midfield completely ruins any chance of playing football. And he was only taken off after the redcard, so we were 10 men from start to finish but with the added bonus of losing tanganga and having bendumbo on .

Absolutely shit from Nuno, from start to finish.

It wasnt just the stupid handball though, was it? Looked a proper idiot for their second goal as well. Zero defensive instincts. Very Doherty-esque.

I said in my first post "he had a 'mare".

I'm not arguing that he played well.....

Back
Top Bottom