Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's 2 different points there.

1. I disagree with.

2. For the 3rd time "he had a mare"..... Almost in fitting with his 6th/emergency CB status one might conclude.
A 6th choice player shouldnt be this bad. If we know how shit he is, why even put him on. Give the minutes to some academy player, they would appreciate it.

A 6th choice player shouldnt be this bad.

Considering we had players further up the pecking order out there playing just as bad and getting bullied; doesn't the finger-wagging become a bit opportunistic CONSIDERING his meek status as a CB?

If we know how shit he is, why even put him on.

If we KNEW he was gonna play shit then perhaps you wouldn't send him on, but the guy has played ok (some times well) at CB for club and Country in the past.....

It needn't be an alien concept that a player who's not a regular in a certain position (or with game-time in general) may not be particularly consistent in their secondary position.

I've acknowledged in pretty much ever post I made "he had a mare".....

Context IS allowed though.

Give the minutes to some academy player, they would appreciate it.

Drop a teenager into the grinder when we're down to 10 men and getting bullied by a very physical side? ....In an already ragtag back 4?

....Rather than a senior player with a comparatively credible track record?

That would be pretty poor and reckless management of said kid.....

Last edited:
Considering we had players further up the pecking order out there playing just as bad and getting bullied; doesn't the finger-wagging be become a bit opportunistic CONSIDERING his status as a CB?

If we KNEW he was gonna play shit then perhaps you wouldn't send him on but they guy has played OK (some times well) at CB for club and Country in the past.....

It needn't be an alien concept that a player who's not a regular in a certain position (or with gametime in general) may not be particularly consistent in their secondary position.

I've acknowledged in pretty much ever post I made "he had a mare".....

Context IS allowed though.

Drop a teenager into the grinder when we're down to 10 men and getting bullied by a very physical side? ....In an already ragtag back 4?

....Rather than a senior play with a comparatively credible track record?

That would be pretty poor and reckless management of said kid.....
Good point. We dont need to drop kids in the grinder. But they should be getting all the minutes that trash like Davies, Doherty and Winks are getting. Why waste those minutes on idiots when we could be giving them to ones who will actually use it to improve.

His first few minutes on and he fucked up. It does happen.

My favourite player? Not by a long shot, but if he's still ok being a bench warmer then I still think he's worth keeping. He's a Welsh international (occasional captain) with an absolute shit load of experience and plenty of games where he's been defensively solid for us. He works well enough with Rodon. Plus, he's always displayed a professional attitude. No prima donna nonsense.

His first few minutes on and he fucked up. It does happen.

My favourite player? Not by a long shot, but if he's still ok being a bench warmer then I still think he's worth keeping. He's a Welsh international (occasional captain) with an absolute shit load of experience and plenty of games where he's been defensively solid for us. He works well enough with Rodon. Plus, he's always displayed a professional attitude. No prima donna nonsense.
Agree with this. A move to three at the back is really his only hope for regular games tho

Good point. We dont need to drop kids in the grinder. But they should be getting all the minutes that trash like Davies, Doherty and Winks are getting. Why waste those minutes on idiots when we could be giving them to ones who will actually use it to improve.

As long as these opportunities are opportunities to thrive then I'm all for it..... The C-team bullshit we pulled on the kids out in Portugal a few weeks back is fruitless.... Literally men against boys.

I share your broader sentiment here though; I just don't think Davis is outright trash..... Perfectly decent #2 LB (particualrly considering the level of oppo our 2nd string are called upon to face currently)..... BD as CD is an emergency measure for us; nothing more.

Can it be any worse than one goal from open play in the last four games? He’s close the sack, why not try a Hail Mary

When everyone is available, we're not playing a back 5 just to accommodate our #2 LB at CB ahead of CBs #3-5.

When everyone is available, we're not playing a back 5 just to accommodate our #2 LB at CB ahead of CBs #3-5.
Sure - but we might play it to try and get more players into the middle and final third and create chances. Playing Davies is clearly not top of the list of reasons to change the formation, but he could be the beneficiary of it

Sure - but we might play it to try and get more players into the middle and final third and create chances. Playing Davies is clearly not top of the list of reasons to change the formation, but he could be the beneficiary of it

You're still overlooking the fact that he is at best 6th choice CB.... Even if we play 3CBs he has 3 other players ahead of him vs 4 if we were to stick with a back 2.

The benefit to him is so negligible it's not worth talking about; certainly not in the context you brought it up.

Poor Ben, sounds nasty, hopefully he feels better soon!

One player notable by his absence on Thursday night was left-back Ben Davies and the Spurs boss revealed to football.london that the Welshman had had a tough week.

"He has a problem on an inflammation on his appendix," he said. "He has been taken care of, he has had some scans, but he was not able to play, he was in pain. We wish that he recovers soon and he can join us."

So how much can we get for him this January? Or do we leave him as a squad player?
Ben has always been a good club representative, but if we don't make room for Sess as 2nd choice LB, we're well on the road to wrecking Sess' value (our 25m) AND missing the opportunity cost of selling Ben. As we aren't going to make top 4 this season, we have nothing to lose at this point.

Ben has always been a good club representative, but if we don't make room for Sess as 2nd choice LB, we're well on the road to wrecking Sess' value (our 25m) AND missing the opportunity cost of selling Ben. As we aren't going to make top 4 this season, we have nothing to lose at this point.

Nobody still knows if Sessegnon is a left back though and so far he’s done nothing to show that he’s worth hanging our hats on to play in that position anyway.

Sess is a crock, forget about him. He will never make it and will never be fit. We need to move him on ASAP before too many clubs realise he is a sick note.

Poor Ben, sounds nasty, hopefully he feels better soon!

One player notable by his absence on Thursday night was left-back Ben Davies and the Spurs boss revealed to football.london that the Welshman had had a tough week.

"He has a problem on an inflammation on his appendix," he said. "He has been taken care of, he has had some scans, but he was not able to play, he was in pain. We wish that he recovers soon and he can join us."
Took ten hours after the initial discomfort for my appendix to burst and almost kill me. Could easily have got 90 mins out of him.

Sess is a crock, forget about him. He will never make it and will never be fit. We need to move him on ASAP before too many clubs realise he is a sick note.
He did fine as an LB at Hoffenheim last season. Not sure where this talk has emerged where he “never established himself as a left back”. It seems more like people would rather ignore his successful loan spell at LB than give him a chance as our second choice LB.

Back
Top Bottom