Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Davies does nothing better than Rose and a lot of things much worse.

I am not saying the Rose is great, he certainly is not and I am glad he is gone but Davies is a Championship level talent. I don't mind having him on the team for depth as a 3 LB and emergency CB and a guy that can play in early round League Cup matches or dead rubbers in Europe because he seems like a nice guy but having him playing in EPL games shows the real lack of talent we have on our squad now.

I take it you weren't a fan of the club in 2016/17 or 17/18 when he was part of one of the stingiest defenses in Europe and held his own in the EPL and Champions League against formidable opposition?

2 days into your time here and you've already painted yourself as the absolute king of hyperbole.

I take it you weren't a fan of the club in 2016/17 or 17/18 when he was part of one of the stingiest defenses in Europe and held his own in the EPL and Champions League against formidable opposition?

2 days into your time here and you've already painted yourself as the absolute king of hyperbole.

I was certainly a fan then.

Not sure what hyperbole has to do with pointing out Davies lack of talent.

I was certainly a fan then.

Not sure what hyperbole has to do with pointing out Davies lack of talent.

Calling him championship level makes a mockery of you; not him.

If Ben is so inferior and unworthy, perhaps you can explain why we played some of our best ever football and accumulated 2 years of epic defensive stats with him at LB? If Rose was so damn superior; surely we would have suffered greatly in his absence?

Even Ben's attacking product stand ups against Rose.

Be aware; you maybe new to the forum, but this debate is far from fresh ground....

Last edited:
perhaps you can explain why we played some of our best ever football and accumulated 2 years of epic defensive stats with him at LB?
Davies didn't' play much that time - our best defensive season was Walker/Rose - 16/17

He's not Championship level granted but not a world beater either

Calling him championship level makes a mockery of you; not him.

If Ben is so inferior and unworthy, perhaps you can explain why we played some of our best ever football and accumulated 2 years of epic defensive stats with him at LB? If Rose was so damn superior; surely we would have suffered greatly in his absence?

Even Ben's attacking product stand up against Rose.

Be aware; you maybe new to the forum, but this debate is far from fresh ground....

I would say we played some of our best football because the team was at its strongest then so having someone like Davies out there the team was able to mask his poor play.

One of the reasons that the team has struggled lately is that Rose's play and attitude began to decline, he is representative of the problems we have had with players declining and us not having suitable replacements so we are stuck with guys like Davies who have no business starting for an EPL club.

Its great that the debate has happened here before but that doesn't change how poor and limited of a player Davies is. He seems like a nice guy so I don't want to go too hard after him but him starting for us is a perfect representation of why we are struggling to hold on to our 7th spot in the league while teams like Chelsea, United, Liverpool and City are blowing way past us and Leicester and Wolves are able to be ahead of us in the table despite having weaker talent overall.

Davies didn't' play much that time - our best defensive season was Walker/Rose - 16/17

He played a shit load of both seasons... Rose missed the latter part of 16/17 and a big chunk of the following season.

I can't be arsed digging the stats up for the Nth time, but they're all in this thread.

My point is simple... If Davies was SO inferior (note the extremity of what I'm responding to!) then why no notable drop off for the team?

The only tangibale advantage that Rose brought during his fairly short peak is his dynamism.

I would say we played some of our best football because the team was at its strongest then so having someone like Davies out there the team was able to mask his poor play.

One of the reasons that the team has struggled lately is that Rose's play and attitude began to decline, he is representative of the problems we have had with players declining and us not having suitable replacements so we are stuck with guys like Davies who have no business starting for an EPL club.

Its great that the debate has happened here before but that doesn't change how poor and limited of a player Davies is. He seems like a nice guy so I don't want to go too hard after him but him starting for us is a perfect representation of why we are struggling to hold on to our 7th spot in the league while teams like Chelsea, United, Liverpool and City are blowing way past us and Leicester and Wolves are able to be ahead of us in the table despite having weaker talent overall.

Until you find a way to suitably quantify your claims, then they are hollow.

Ben isn't the reason this team declined; we have been playing with a dysfunctional midfield for 2 years.

Until you find a way to suitably quantify your claims, then they are hollow.

Ben isn't the reason this team declined; we have been playing with a dysfunctional midfield for 2 years.

He is not the sole reason of course not, but representative of the drop in quality we have seen since our best days. Going from arguably the best FB duo in Rose and Walker to playing Davies is a big reason as to why we are now in 7th and not comfortably in the top 4.

Davies doesn't get a sniff in any of the 6 teams in front of us or the majority of the teams below us either.

He is not the sole reason of course not, but representative of the drop in quality we have seen since our best days. Going from arguably the best FB duo in Rose and Walker to playing Davies is a big reason as to why we are now in 7th and not comfortably in the top 4.

Davies doesn't get a sniff in any of the 6 teams in front of us or the majority of the teams below us either.

Quantify your claims in some (any) way..... If you can.

He played a shit load of both seasons... Rose missed the latter part of 16/17 and a big chunk of the following season.

I can't be arsed digging the stats up for the Nth time, but they're all in this thread.

My point is simple... If Davies was SO inferior (note the extremity of what I'm responding to!) then why no notable drop off for the team?

The only tangibale advantage that Rose brought during his fairly short peak is his dynamism.
The drop off is actually quite notable (same for Trippier and now Aurier) - we haven't finished 2nd since or conceded less or scored more since

Quantify your claims in some (any) way..... If you can.

You think that Davies would start for the teams in front of us?

Watch the guy fumble out on the field not playing good defense, being useless on the ball or going forward that is all you need to see how useless he is.

The drop off actually quite notable (same for Trippier and now Aurier) - we haven't finished 2nd since or conceded less or scored more since

I'm talking when the rest of the team was otherwise settled (i think you know this!).... The direct comparison is there to be made during our peak period. No need look further...... Ben played as much as Rose during said period. Our peformance levels and defensive stats did not drop during said period.

We've spent the last 2 years with a dysfunctional midfield and 2 long term injuries to Kane.

You think that Davies would start for the teams in front of us?

Watch the guy fumble out on the field not playing good defense, being useless on the ball or going forward that is all you need to see how useless he is.

With all due respect, you're talking utter (unfounded) shit.

"Useless" = More hysterical hyperbole.

I'm talking when the rest of the team was otherwise settled (i think you know this!).... The direct comparison is there to be made during our peak period. No need look further...... Ben played as much as Rose during said period. Our peformance levels and defensive stats did not drop during said period.

We've spent the last 2 years with a dysfunctional midfield and 2 long term injuries to Kane.
Davies is an average player who’s been average to ok on occasion throughout his entire Spurs career. One decent performance vs nearly relegated Hammers won’t change my mind. You disagree - fair dos, fella

Davies is an average player who’s been average to ok on occasion throughout his entire Spurs career. One decent performance vs nearly relegated Hammers won’t change my mind. You disagree - fair dos, fella

Strawman.

I didn't mention Hammers.

You're denying him his track record (and ignoring the extremity of the criticism I was initially refuting)... Your perogative of course... "fair dos, fella".

Strawman.

I didn't mention Hammers.

You're denying him his track record (and ignoring the extremity of the criticism I was initially refuting)... Your perogative of course... "fair dos, fella".
I think his average - don’t care about stats which only tell half the story

You disagree - so be it

Just to confirm. In the 16/17 season (our best defensive season)

Davies:
Started: 18 games
Cleansheets: 8

Rose:
Started: 18 games
Cleansheets: 7

In one of those games however, Rose started against Sunderland, got injured and subbed off after 38 minutes, Davies replaced him - and we managed to keep a cleansheet.

I think it's probably best to realise our defensive stability was probably more down to having an actual defensive midfield and a great centre back pairing as opposed to who started where at full back.

Rose was praised more because he was constantly driving at the opponents whilst Davies had a completely different style in contrast.

I think his average - don’t care about stats which only tell half the story

You disagree - so be it

That's fine... You engaged me on this one; not the other way around.

I never claimed he was (as you put it) "a world beater".

Davies is a good old fashioned defensive fullback.
Sometimes he adds to the attack. Sometimes he just plays defense.
Usually he is pretty decent at defending. Not a world class defender, but good enough to help contain dangerous opposition as part of a team.

He's been injured quite a bit the last couple seasons though and seems to have lost a bit of athleticism and attacking form. Maybe he can get it back, he's only 27.

He's been solid for us, has never complained to the press, and appears to have been a model citizen/teammate. I don't think he was bought with the intention of being anything more than a 2nd choice left-back. That the club hasn't been able to replace serial malcontent Danny Rose is not Ben Davies' fault. I'm not really sure why he's being criticized here.

Back
Top Bottom