Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love how Davies is playing but Rose is superior in every way including his football brain.

What he did was cunty but let's not be silly. Best LB in the country past 2 seasons.
Don't disagree about Rose's ability but he has has some bridges to rebuild as far as I'm concerned. If he comes back with his head and attitude right I'll be more than happy but in the meantime I'm really happy with Davies who is a more than able replacement.

Rose is definitely better than Davies in almost everything you can judge a wing back on.

but Davies has improved to such a level that him being our starting left wing back isn't trouble and Rose will have a hard time getting back in the team, if at all. I still can't wait to see how he does against genuine opposition. The likes of Walker, Mane and other pacy players that tend to have caused him problems in the past - but until then, keep it up Davies

2 goals and 2 assists so far this season is a great reply.

Nostalgia and historical bias playing a part in here where people are saying Rose is better. We can't be sure of that anymore. Rose and Davis are different kind of players, but considering how long Rose has been out for, I would be shocked if he manages to get anywhere near his prime over two seasons ago.

Shame, but Rose would not be able to replace Davis this season as first choice and probably will fuck off to City in January. But silver lining is, Davis has advanced to a level above his best over last season.

The key thing is, doesn't matter if Rose plays or Davis plays, under Pochetino's system and tactics, fullbacks are always going to look extra special and Rose will be replaced by someone who will grow into a great fullback for us.

Rose is definitely better than Davies in almost everything you can judge a wing back on.

but Davies has improved to such a level that him being our starting left wing back isn't trouble and Rose will have a hard time getting back in the team, if at all. I still can't wait to see how he does against genuine opposition. The likes of Walker, Mane and other pacy players that tend to have caused him problems in the past - but until then, keep it up Davies

2 goals and 2 assists so far this season is a great reply.
He's a better crosser of the ball than Rose

Davies is alright in these types of games but against top oppo I dont really have any confidence in either him or Trippier.

That said, we dont play top oppo every week so I'm more than happy to have them in the squad as understudys. Aurier and Rose are 1st choice always IMO.

So happy with the way Davies has stepped it up this season. We’ve not missed Rose at all and he’s getting in there with assists and goals.

I’ve been most impressed with his final ball, he’s improved unmeasurably in that department.

Rose has some work to do for sure.

I think Ben Davies is a bigger goal threat than Rose, tbh.

Rose goals
2015/16 - 1 goal
2016/17 - 2 goals

Rose tends to go on the outside and may end up with more assists as a result, but Davies has a very good shot on him and his inside runs cause a lot of problems for teams.

Can't be a coincidence the way full backs go under Poch.

Shaw - best FB in the league under Poch
Clyne - really good under Poch
Walker and Rose - best double act going
Davies and Trippier - improving all the time
Walker-Peters and Aurier - let's give Poch time to weave his magic.

I think it's defenders in general.

Poch's system relies so much on stopping attacks through positioning and pressing that his defenders' strengths tend to be heightened. People forget that Lovren looked really good under Pochettino but is ridiculed as a clown ever since he moved on.

Whilst our defence was shambolic in his first season (which included Rose and Walker), he was always chopping and changing with Kaboul, Dier, Vertonghen, Chiriches and it took a while to weed out some of that toxic and for us to look a unit.

Great performance from Davies and has been excellent all season, grabbed is opportunity and in my opinion the No.1 LWB. Rose has got a lot of work to day, yeah dont bite the hand that feeds ya Danny??

Nostalgia and historical bias playing a part in here where people are saying Rose is better. We can't be sure of that anymore. Rose and Davis are different kind of players, but considering how long Rose has been out for, I would be shocked if he manages to get anywhere near his prime over two seasons ago.

Shame, but Rose would not be able to replace Davis this season as first choice and probably will fuck off to City in January. But silver lining is, Davis has advanced to a level above his best over last season.

The key thing is, doesn't matter if Rose plays or Davis plays, under Pochetino's system and tactics, fullbacks are always going to look extra special and Rose will be replaced by someone who will grow into a great fullback for us.
Nostalgia and historical bias?

Mate he was in the team of the year 2 years in a row. Him and Walker were considered the best fullbacks in the league and we all considered Rose better than Walker.
Let's be real.

I'd love it if Davies had Rose's pace. If he did, then he'd also be first choice against the likes of LFC and Citeh.

But he doesn't, so the tit that is Rose will still get that gig.

Davies will get a lot of games at LWB/LB, because so many of the teams below top 6 are in a relegation fight and are shit. I would also like Jan Vert given the odd bit of rest and recuperation. Davies can deputise there if needed.

I think it's the system. He gives them a system, a framework for reference. Which means that the back 3/4/5 will always be more than the sum of their parts because they aren't playing like individuals but as a complete unit. For attackers, it's like trying to wrestle an Octopus.

I'd like to think also that it means it will be easier to integrate our promising youth into the first team. If a lad has:

pace;
intelligence (to understand the coaching);
decent ball skills;
good professional attitude (willing to learn)
good team ethos

then he's got a decent chance of slotting in. If these guys have been with the club for a few years, then all of the above will be obvious. We could be singing "he's one of our own" quite alot in the future

You can really see how he's benefited from an extended run in the team. His confidence is up, his distribution is excellent compared to previous seasons.

Back
Top Bottom