Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unpopular opinion. Davies in his best season was better than Rose in his 5/6 month purple patch. He got more goals and assists for a start.

I mean, Rose was a constant threat, caused wingers and full backs to be pinned back, allowing more space across the pitch and was voted in the TOTS two years in a row, voted by his peers.

Better output, sure. But Dembele didn't even have a better output than Josh Onomah in the 16/17 season.

Ben Davies in general is an unpopular opinion and that's a shame. He's pretty solid for the most part.

If we could find the RB version of Benny the Second, I would be very happy.
Imagine for a moment if Davies was tasked with attacking and trying to defend what his performance would be like? After all, this is what the chap is tasked with on the other side.

I think Davies is a solid player, did brilliantly for us covering Rose's injury with no rotation. And can is great if we adopt a three-man defence.

But his remit is not the same as Aurier's, Davies isn't allowed to cross the halfway line.

Imagine for a moment if Davies was tasked with attacking and trying to defend what his performance would be like? After all, this is what the chap is tasked with on the other side.

I think Davies is a solid player, did brilliantly for us covering Rose's injury with no rotation. And can is great if we adopt a three-man defence.

But his remit is not the same as Aurier's, Davies isn't allowed to cross the halfway line.
I do actually think Ben's attacking ability is slightly underrated. He makes some pretty intelligent runs maybe twice a game and generates good opportunities from it.

It's certainly not his primary objective out there though.

The other chap is tasked with defending?

Could have fooled me by the way he plays and his positioning.

I do actually think Ben's attacking ability is slightly underrated. He makes some pretty intelligent runs maybe twice a game and generates good opportunities from it.

It's certainly not his primary objective out there though.
A few years back when he stepped in for Rose under Poch, he did a really great job of linking up with Son on the left. He played a lot higher up then.

I remember I suggested this back then, that I think Ben Davies is a better fit for the team with his reliability and I remember I got a whole bunch of disagrees.

Bemused that the consensus has changed so much.

Danny Rose the player is much better than Davies.

But Danny Rose the sulking, don't give a F, malcontent is much worse.

Considering the second player is all we got recently and all we are likely to get then Davies is the better option right now but Rose is and was a much, much better footballer when he cared.

Danny Rose the player is much better than Davies.

But Danny Rose the sulking, don't give a F, malcontent is much worse.

Considering the second player is all we got recently and all we are likely to get then Davies is the better option right now but Rose is and was a much, much better footballer when he cared.
You're massively confusing much better with a little bit quicker IMO, as a pure footballer Davies is much better, he just doesn't have enough pace to be a constant attacking threat. Rose had a bit of pace about him to look a threat, but not the footballing ability to actually BE a threat, hence his output ultimately never being any greater than Davies' despite appearing to be more attacking.

His pace was overstated as well tbf, by association with Walker.

Danny Rose was the most overrated fucking footballer to pull on the shirt IMO.
Well you'd be wrong (in my view)

For about a season and a half, Rose and Walker terrorised (along with Kane, Eriksen, Dele, Son etc) other teams. Rose/Walker hogged their touchlines waiting for the 50m crossfield ball from Alderweireld (or Lloris). It created space for our midfield and contributed to our 'nearly' season.

There's no point re-writing history to underestimate Rose's contribution. His subsequent disintegration is hard to understand (but he should learn to shut his mouth and avoid the press/social media). He seems to be turning in solid performances at the NE outfit.

Davies falls into the 'steady-Eddy category'. Won't let you down, but doesn't 'wow' you either in the way Rose and Walker did in their prime. Davies has had a good, solid couple of games, but is nowhere(IMO) near Rose in his prime.

I mean, Rose was a constant threat, caused wingers and full backs to be pinned back, allowing more space across the pitch and was voted in the TOTS two years in a row, voted by his peers.

Better output, sure. But Dembele didn't even have a better output than Josh Onomah in the 16/17 season.

Ben Davies in general is an unpopular opinion and that's a shame. He's pretty solid for the most part.

Two things -
- Rose is flashier and quicker (but on downside lot more hectic and error prone!) sometimes he made error in decision making up with bursting runs. You don't see it from player who makes better decision from get go
- Rose is... English. Sorry mates, I know you locals will never agree with me. But there is English bias over others.

I don't think that just the claim that Rose was part of TOTS and Davies hasn't is quite fair bar. I'd like more comparison player vs player. Because when Rose got this nod he did not have Robertson to compete with, for example. Also put Davies in situation with prime Walker on opposite flank, prime Dembele in CM, etc.

Anyway. I have always liked Davies more. To me he is lot more dependable and has better footballing brain.

You're massively confusing much better with a little bit quicker IMO, as a pure footballer Davies is much better, he just doesn't have enough pace to be a constant attacking threat. Rose had a bit of pace about him to look a threat, but not the footballing ability to actually BE a threat, hence his output ultimately never being any greater than Davies' despite appearing to be more attacking.

His pace was overstated as well tbf, by association with Walker.

Davies does nothing better than Rose and a lot of things much worse.

I am not saying the Rose is great, he certainly is not and I am glad he is gone but Davies is a Championship level talent. I don't mind having him on the team for depth as a 3 LB and emergency CB and a guy that can play in early round League Cup matches or dead rubbers in Europe because he seems like a nice guy but having him playing in EPL games shows the real lack of talent we have on our squad now.

Back
Top Bottom