Benfica

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does this mean we can confiscate Vinicius & Gedson on a free? :levystare:
It probably is actually to do with their valuation of a supposed asset called Gedson. The police in Portugal and the UK and most Tottenham STHs can see no evidence of any actual value.

This thread... ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜„

Anyway, what do you guys think are our (Benfica) chances against your esteemed and certainly much loved neighbours in the Europa League? Bear in mind that our season has been a huge disappointment, one of the worst in the last 15-20 years. Vertonghen has been ok, after a very shaky start.
Seems like none of the games will be played in Portugal or England.

This thread... ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜„

Anyway, what do you guys think are our (Benfica) chances against your esteemed and certainly much loved neighbours in the Europa League? Bear in mind that our season has been a huge disappointment, one of the worst in the last 15-20 years. Vertonghen has been ok, after a very shaky start.
Seems like none of the games will be played in Portugal or England.

It may be tough get a non-biased view on here considering your opponent, and that includes from me but I will try.

They are not what you would normally expect from a PL team in Europe, they are a definite step down from that. They are in Europe because of a fluke run in the Cup and after finishing a deserved (no injuries/bad luck) 8th last year they are currently a deserved 10th this year. So likely to be the weakest PL team you will have faced or will face in the future.

Their weakness is what makes me not have a clue of what might happen. On paper, we should have a really good team this season, but for some reason we don't (I guess the manager, plus some overrated players that are worse than the ones they replaced, like Vinicius), things are not going well. So based on that I would even be afraid of facing Leyton Orient , let alone a top PL team.

However, Woolwich seem to be quite crap and inconsistent too, plus the neutral venues, no fans, no atmosphere... hard to call this tie.

They have a big advantage though, I bet their priority now is the EL, they're stuck in mid-table mediocrity without any objectives. While for us the domestic league is by far the top priority, if we have to rotate and rest players we will do it in the EL. To me that makes them favourites.

Their weakness is what makes me not have a clue of what might happen. On paper, we should have a really good team this season, but for some reason we don't (I guess the manager, plus some overrated players that are worse than the ones they replaced, like Vinicius), things are not going well. So based on that I would even be afraid of facing Leyton Orient , let alone a top PL team.

However, Woolwich seem to be quite crap and inconsistent too, plus the neutral venues, no fans, no atmosphere... hard to call this tie.

They have a big advantage though, I bet their priority now is the EL, they're stuck in mid-table mediocrity without any objectives. While for us the domestic league is by far the top priority, if we have to rotate and rest players we will do it in the EL. To me that makes them favourites.
I obviously want Benfica to smash Woolwich but find it hard to get behind Benefica solely for the fact that Jesus is the manager and what he did to Sherwood (who I also can't stand lol).

2xARpk.gif

Benfica fans were everywhere that night at WHL and I have to say they were respectful (those sat around me). As a home fan it's not nice to see but that's the fault of Spurs fans for not buying tickets and/or selling theirs on to oppo fans.

It later came out that night that Sherwood was late, didn't turn up until 5mins before KO!!!! I'll never forget watching Benfica going through their drills pre-KO, there was something very dynamic about them and I just knew at that point we'd get comprehensively beat. And we were.

Jorge Jesus is a fucking meme, he was really getting on Sherwood's nerves that night ๐Ÿ˜…

LYO7-R.gif

Let's hope he can do the same to Arteta... ๐Ÿ˜

WTF? Was he taking a nap or something?
Apparently got "suck in traffic"! Now during this time I was watching loads of our academy games going to Hotspur Way and to the other London teams for the away games, on at least 3 occasions I bumped into Sherwood in the car parks about 5mins before KO, I think this was his normal match day routine before he was given the caretaker role. Might have been ok for the academy but not for the First team IMO.

Regarding the Woolwich games, UEFA just confirmed that the 1st leg will be played in Rome (we are the home team), while the 2nd leg will be in Athens. We already have a stupidly busy schedule this month, with league, cup semi-finals and EL, now another extra trip abroad...

Back
Top Bottom