Best formation and tactics to beat Liverpool...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lloris
Trippier Aurier Alderweireld Vertonghen Rose
Sissoko Winks Eriksen Skipp
Lucas Dele Son
Kane Llorente

...and see if the ref spots it.

I think four at the back with our fullbacks being less adventurous than normal is the way to go.

Sissoko, Winks & Eriksen VS Henderson, Fabinho and Wjinaldem? Is a match up that could go in our favour if we are at it.

With Dele & kane dropping in from time to time to help out we might be able to win in the centre. Then its about quick movement from Son/Moura and forward passes.

Oh yeah and BE CLINICAL.

My deeper point being we only need to concern ourselves with what we're capable of....

This year:

Shoulda won at Anfield.
Shoulda drawn at Wembley.

Last year:

Smashed 'em a Wembley
Drew at Anfield.

As long as we're on our defensive game, we needn't be fearful..... Back 4.... FBs & WFs tracking is key. Plenty of attacking options to hurt them.

Time to start believing (we have the comparatively easy job afterall). :tobyarm:
I totally agree, the one thing that scares me in this regard though is Trippier. He really has been our most shocking defender this season, I don't know that he has a top class defensive performance in him this season.

Really hope Poch just takes a chance on Aurier.

In a one off game we are capable of beating anyone, we have shown that this season and in the past. The game at Anfield this season and last season we were probably the better team in both, and but for some poor finishing and Lloris mistake we'd have beaten Liverpool.

What we need to do is take our chances, not panic and have the defence as solid is possible. 3 at the back doesn't work, and we can't leave the midfield exposed. Aurier has the pace to match Mane, but is also as clumsy as Trippier. I'd lean towards Aurier due to his brilliant performances against Dortmund, who had a very good attacking side to them.

Lloris
Aurier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Winks - Sissoko
Lucas - Dele - Eriksen
Kane
Harsh to leave Son out after his Man City heroics, but it would be even harsher to leave Lucas out after his hatrick to get us here. Alli plays brilliantly when he has Kane to work with, as does Eriksen when he has movement like Kane's to play with.

From a Liverpool team view, I have noticed Salah is a very selfish player. More often than not he will go for it himself rather than look for an option. I don't think they'd have beaten Barca if Salah started. We stop Mane, I think we stop their flow. He is the main driver in that team. Midfield will be the battle to win. Wijnaldum is a player who can really hurt you, as shown vs Barca, stick Sissoko on him to hound him and we'll see more of the ball in there. Kane will occupy Van Dijk so it's up to Lucas and Dele to move into the space left and Eriksen (who needs a big game, if it is going to be his last) needs to be picking the space out every time.

We have performed miracles to get here, like nothing before. As long as we don't fall apart in the final then we have every chance. We have shown this UCL campaign that if any team gives us a chance, we will take it. One more huge 90 minutes to write this team into Tottenham and European history.

COYS

Liverpool outplayed us at Wembley, fair play but also 8 months ago.

But the Anfield game was telling.

Outplayed in first half with back 3.

But once we went to back 4, we were the better team in second half, and obviously should have won it via Sissoko.

Similar story of formation versus Ajax in first leg.

In general the back 3 struggles against teams with fast movement.

Back 4. Hard work. Clinical.

I will leave tactics and formation to Poch. I just want whoever is selected to play their hearts out and leave nothing in the tank by the end of the game. We know that we have some great players in our squad, we just need them to produce their best form on the night. And with a wee bit of luck, we might actually do them. Fingers crossed :)

After plenty of careful consideration, I think the most important tactic will be to tell players not to put in any sliding tackles. That's my nightmare for this match - passion boiling over into rash tackles, just as it has done in many of our other 'crunch' matches under Poch. We need to put them under pressure in their own half and take a leaf out of City's book with plenty of niggly fouls high up the pitch.

Liverpool, together with Man City, are two of the best team in Europe right now. I have been looking at some of their matches and there isn’t a game where they didn’t dominate and win.

I have sort of concluded the following:

Liverpool‘s style
1) Gegenpressing - This year, they have improved on their high octane pressing style with every players understanding exactly how to press as a team. Many teams have struggled to handle this, especially at Anfield. Lesser teams have sought to play deeply and surrender possession while those bigger clubs tried counter pressing and usually conceded more goals against Liverpool than they can score.

2) Use of offensive fullback. Both Robertson and T Arnold each has double digit number of assist this year. Both likes to roam forward and can support attacking plays or press high when they are without possession.

3) Firmino acting as a false nine to support Salah and Mane. Firmino can draw out defenders to him and in the process free up room for Salah and Mane to run into the spaces created. This strategy has created tonnes of goals for them this year. If Firmino is left unmarked, he has the ability to shoot accurately from distance or pick up telling passes that leads to dangerous situations.

4)Low drilled crosses into the penalty box for tap ins. Henderson/Wijnaldum can combine effectively with the fullbacks to overload the flank, leading to opportunities to drill low cross into the box. This has also contributed to the numbers of goals they scored this year.

5) Solid overall defensive pillar in the likes of Van Dijk supported by Fabiano. Before Van Dijk, Liverpool struggle with pacy counter attacks or long balls. Eg., we won huge against them (3-1) at Wembley almost 2 years ago. We adopted a counter attacking game which they never really manage to cope. With Van Dijk and Fabiano, they seemingly do not have an obvious defensive weakness this year.

How should we play to neutralise all these and give ourselves a fighting chance to win this year UCL?

Comments?

Back
Top Bottom