Best formation with what we have

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With everyone fit (haha) and no January signings:
Im going 442

..............................…...Gaz

Aurier.................Toby........Sanchez...........Davies

Moura.............Ndombele....Sissoko.................Son

................................Dele.....Kane

More bodies in the middle, less clutter up top.
Basics

Lloris
Aurier - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Davies
Ndombele - Dier - Lo Celso
Dele - Kane - Son​

Most probably.

Two progressive ball players in the middle of the field who can both transition defence to attack. Something we've lacked consistently for 2 years.

On that line up, we need a new RB, LB and DM.

Can’t disagree with most of that XI (Sammy’s)but I’d prefer to see a passer in midfield.

Without lighting the Sissoko blue touch paper (I’m sure we have different views on him like most of the fan base) I’d only contemplate him as an impact sub or right sided MF.

Wish we’d seen more of Skipp tbh - none of us know whether he’d be good enough but what he ‘appears’ to do well we need lots of...

If we made one signing in January it’d be a DM
If we made two signings I’d add a RB
If we made three I’d add a striker

With our current squad. 352

Gazza
Toby Sanchez Verts
Aurier Ndombele Dier Lo Celso Sessegnon
Kane Son

- Dier because no-one else unless we use Skipp.
- Verts and Toby’s leg ain’t what they used to be so they need pacey cover but given Sanchez behind them they should be better and are both good with ball at feet.
- Aurier and Sess as wing forwards so as to limit their potential defensive issues and provide genuine width and outlets, should also enable us to press rather than be pressed.
- Lo Celso and Ndombele as we need some technical In the middle with Winks on standby.
- would say Eriksen but he doesn’t give shit anymore.
- Sissoko to come on around 60-70 when everyone’s legs have gone.

I prefer 4-3-3 but don’t think we have the players.

Maybe we should try a Leicester approach and pass over defences for Sonny to run on to. Him and Kane up front. With the latter injured, perhaps a return for Llorente?!

-----------------Gazza------------------
Aurier----Toby----Sanchez----Davies
----------N'dombele--Sissoko--------
-------------Eriksen/Lo Celso--------
------------Alli----‐--------------Son--
---------------------Kane--------------

Counter attacking seems to suit us until someone decides to slow it down or fuck up the final ball.

We have no quality from balls out wide, so although necessary to create space - it seems like a waste of time when watching Aurier or Sessegnon shank balls to the crowd, or float it gently to the keeper.

I hated watching us struggle to go through a packed middle, but I do think Lo Celso, Eriksen, Dele, Ndombele are good enough to play in tight areas. In fact it would seem our quality with the ball is at its worst the more space we have!

Any exposure of our back line frightens the life out of me, so I want to see them structured in shape.. and although I don't rate Dier that high, he can win a lot of headers in the middle which also allows the CBs to stay in their shape instead of 1 pushing up.

Lloris
Toby Davinson Davies
Sissoko Dier Ndombele
Lamela Dele Son
Kane

But it's more about with / without the ball..

Without;
Sissoko Toby Dier Davinson Davies
Lamela Dele Ndombele
Kane Son

Structured and flat at the back, looking to use Sissoko on the right and Son on the left as running outlets should we ever win the ball back. Lamela hassling and assisting the weak player Sissoko is, and Dele floating around doing fuck all as he does - so just don't give him any proper defensive duties.
Kane dropping deep to allow some link up play as we can expect Son and Dele to be ready for attacking moves.

With;
Toby Davinson
Sissoko Dier Davies
Ndombele
Lamela Dele Son
Kane

Problem is I really don't trust Foyth, Kwp, Rose, Sessegnon, Winks, Aurier, Lucas, Wanyama, Eriksen as things stand.

We don't really have the pace for a high line, so avoid that and look to break against teams who dominate us - which evidently appears to be every single team in the league.

Experimental sure.. but we are at a point where performances AND results are complete shit. Anything new has got to be worth a go?

Everybody knows how vividly aware of this Mourinho will be. It won't be long until his 'my squad is amazing' rhetoric turns into 'this and that player let me down'.

It might be worth getting an early bet on us to win the Europa league in his first full season.

Counter attacking seems to suit us until someone decides to slow it down or fuck up the final ball.

We have no quality from balls out wide, so although necessary to create space - it seems like a waste of time when watching Aurier or Sessegnon shank balls to the crowd, or float it gently to the keeper.

I hated watching us struggle to go through a packed middle, but I do think Lo Celso, Eriksen, Dele, Ndombele are good enough to play in tight areas. In fact it would seem our quality with the ball is at its worst the more space we have!

Any exposure of our back line frightens the life out of me, so I want to see them structured in shape.. and although I don't rate Dier that high, he can win a lot of headers in the middle which also allows the CBs to stay in their shape instead of 1 pushing up.

Lloris
Toby Davinson Davies
Sissoko Dier Ndombele
Lamela Dele Son
Kane

But it's more about with / without the ball..

Without;
Sissoko Toby Dier Davinson Davies
Lamela Dele Ndombele
Kane Son

Structured and flat at the back, looking to use Sissoko on the right and Son on the left as running outlets should we ever win the ball back. Lamela hassling and assisting the weak player Sissoko is, and Dele floating around doing fuck all as he does - so just don't give him any proper defensive duties.
Kane dropping deep to allow some link up play as we can expect Son and Dele to be ready for attacking moves.

With;
Toby Davinson
Sissoko Dier Davies
Ndombele
Lamela Dele Son
Kane

Problem is I really don't trust Foyth, Kwp, Rose, Sessegnon, Winks, Aurier, Lucas, Wanyama, Eriksen as things stand.

We don't really have the pace for a high line, so avoid that and look to break against teams who dominate us - which evidently appears to be every single team in the league.

Experimental sure.. but we are at a point where performances AND results are complete shit. Anything new has got to be worth a go?

Everybody knows how vividly aware of this Mourinho will be. It won't be long until his 'my squad is amazing' rhetoric turns into 'this and that player let me down'.

It might be worth getting an early bet on us to win the Europa league in his first full season.
He will wield whatever axe he needs to in order to get it right.

One thing that worries me more than any formation is our players absolutely appalling ball control.
We are a disgrace in possession with a bit of pressure on us

He will wield whatever axe he needs to in order to get it right.

One thing that worries me more than any formation is our players absolutely appalling ball control.
We are a disgrace in possession with a bit of pressure on us
I wish i could believe that. But a new contract for Vertoghen or Dier would indicate the opposite

We can replace Jan tomorrow, there is no needfor a new contract for someone so obviously done
Maybe a new contract gives the players the belief to play for the club instead of not giving a toss where we finish because they’ll be off?

And the chance to recoup some money..theres a thought.
I think some of you got comfortable with players being outcasted and not heard of for years under the old regime.

Why not try and make the best of a bad situation? More fool anyone who thinks Jose’s gone soft.

Maybe a new contract gives the players the belief to play for the club instead of not giving a toss where we finish because they’ll be off?

And the chance to recoup some money..theres a thought.
I think some of you got comfortable with players being outcasted and not heard of for years under the old regime.

Why not try and make the best of a bad situation? More fool anyone who thinks Jose’s gone soft.
He already has. Like i said 80k per week for Toby was more than enough, 150k is beyond crazy. A contract for another who cant run would be suicide. Jan should be thanked and let return to Ajax. Our defence is shit enough without guaranteeing its shitness long term

———————————-Lloris
Foyth———Alderwiereld——-Sanchez——-Davies
——————Ndombele———Dele
——-Moura—————-Son————-Sessegnon
———————————Kane

----------------Lloris------------------
Foyth---Toby----Sanchez----Davies
---------------Dier--------------------
Sissoko----Ndombele-----------Son
-----------Kane----Dele-------------

Dele swapping 9 with Kane, either going back for balls and making runs and space for each other. Sissoko covering slightly more offensive RB than Davies and running at 1/2 defenders at most, not 4 like he does in midfield, also his lack of technique can be hidden a bit. Ndombele as Sissoko in midfield, but with actual brain and incisive passing. Son explains himself, same as Davies. I don't rate nor trust Aurier, so I prefer Foyth's flops, hoping he can learn something and be better in future, as he shows some decent skills on ball and thinking, while Aurier seems a bit brainless and totally unprofessional. Dier because we need DM, while the only other option is Skipp, who gets no trust from 2nd manager, so I trust them not to trust him. We have never seen him playing 5 straight matches, and going from bench is totally different, as we can see from likes of Lucas or Eriksen. Dier needs to get replaced asap anyway.

He already has. Like i said 80k per week for Toby was more than enough, 150k is beyond crazy. A contract for another who cant run would be suicide. Jan should be thanked and let return to Ajax. Our defence is shit enough without guaranteeing its shitness long term
Our individual players are not shit though, there’s a collective unity that is always let down by one of them an individual mistake though.
Why, I don’t know.

Last season Sanchez “was shit” now Jan “is shit” and Gray is better than Son and people pining for fucking Chadli over Moura, and Foyth “is shit”.

Bit of a pathetic bunch really.
People banging the Tangana drum yet come Monday they’ll want him loaned out to Runcorn.

I’ve seen a nice attitude swing on here though favouring young “lesser club” players etc and support for the policy.
Find it odd that not long ago the same approach was deemed shitting on the manager and we needed to spend big though...

I’d happily see the recalled kids given time and a young “b team” developed with Winks as its captain. Don’t know what formation but I’m dreaming of a SAFs 90s Utd style approach where our players will die for the shirt or be sent packing.

433 for me. A DM alongside Ndombele and Lo Celso and a front 3 of Kane, Alli and Son.

Essentially we need a Kante style player to work tirelessly of the ball to allow our ball players to use more of their energy going forward.

Back
Top Bottom