Best players ever!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bosman changed everything, no doubt. We went from a game where the clubs took advantage of the players, to a game where the players take advantage of the clubs.

Football has always been a particularly mercenary game.
It's only what the market will bear, and it cuts both ways. Pre-Bosman condition was de facto market intervention at odds with normal, modern labour conditions.

It's therefore impossible for either party to take advantage, as you say. If one party takes a gamble then you might end up with a Leeds United situation. That was more the fault of Ridsdale than Danny Mills.

I was born in 82. I remember Italia 90 as my significant football following moment. So, a group of best Spurs players of my life time are:
Gascoigne
Ginola
Bale
Modric
Linekar
Klinsmann
Armstrong
Berbatov
Carrick
Davids (although he was over the hill with us)
Lloris
Sheringham
Waddle

I don't acknowledge King or Anderton as Spurs greats because of their injury/fitness issues.

Toby and Jan will probably be remembered as greats but generally I'm keeping the jury out on current players, with the exception of Lloris who is the best goalie I've seen in a Spurs shirt.

Last edited:
Over the years we've been graced with some true greats. I personally enjoyed the flair, control and audacity of Berbatov. Sure, felt like my heart had been ripped out when I saw him at Old Trafford on deadline day but his control and vision was unreal. Bale also for different reasons, just seeing him progress and boss certain games single handedly. There were games that without his individual brilliance we would have been beat, and I mean picking the ball up outside the 18yrd box then running the length of the pitch to score on his own.

but I can never forget being at Wembley with my Dad, watching Gazza bury that free kick against the scum. The crowd went mental, my Dad looked a mixture of crazed and stunned. This memory will stay with me forever and that's what football is about and what 'none-fans' will never get.

I bloody love my club, been watching them since '83 and have been lucky enough to see some amazing players pull on the shirt. Long may it continue...

I was born in 82. I remember Italia 90 as my significant football following moment. So, a group of best Spurs players of my life time are:
Gascoigne
Ginola
Bale
Modric
Linekar
Klinsmann
Armstrong
Berbatov
Carrick
Davids (although he was over the hill with us)
Lloris
Sheringham
Waddle

I don't acknowledge King or Anderton as Spurs greats because of their injury/fitness issues.

Toby and Jan will probably be remembered as greats but generally I'm keeping the jury out on current players, with the exception of Lloris who is the best goalie I've seen in a Spurs shirt.
Not acknowledging King as a spurs great is a bold statement Vince, i think you're probably in a club of one. He played over 300 competitive matches for us.

Back
Top Bottom