Best world 11 in your lifetime?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Obviously it will be dependent on age. Players from any country are allowed so it doesn't have to be the Premier League only. You can also include players that you loved that aren't necessarily the best in their position. No Messi or Ronaldo though, just to make things a bit more interesting.

Buffon

Thuram
Puyol
Maldini
Lahm

Pirlo
Modric
Gerrard

Bale
Henry
Shearer

Went for Lahm ahead of Roberto Carlos, Lizarazu and Cole. All who were world-class. Puyol probably wasn't as good as a fair few centre-backs but I just loved watching him play. It was either him or Ramos. Went for Thuram over Cafu but it's almost a toss up.

Pirlo was an absolute wizard. Modric is still ridiculously good which is a testament to his quality. Gerrard carried his team like no other, and was arguably the best midfielder on the planet for a few years if not player.

Bale, for us, was unplayable. It would have been easy to include Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) but went with with Shearer (just ahead of Drogba) just because I loved watching play and he scored every type of goal, and I think his hold up play with suit Henry and Bale.

Obviously it will be dependent on age. Players from any country are allowed so it doesn't have to be the Premier League only. You can also include players that you loved that aren't necessarily the best in their position. No Messi or Ronaldo though, just to make things a bit more interesting.

Buffon

Thuram
Puyol
Maldini
Lahm

Pirlo
Modric
Gerrard

Bale
Henry
Shearer

Went for Lahm ahead of Roberto Carlos, Lizarazu and Cole. All who were world-class. Puyol probably wasn't as good as a fair few centre-backs but I just loved watching him play. It was either him or Ramos. Went for Thuram over Cafu but it's almost a toss up.

Pirlo was an absolute wizard. Modric is still ridiculously good which is a testament to his quality. Gerrard carried his team like no other, and was arguably the best midfielder on the planet for a few years if not player.

Bale, for us, was unplayable. It would have been easy to include Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) but went with with Shearer (just ahead of Drogba) just because I loved watching play and he scored every type of goal, and I think his hold up play with suit Henry and Bale.
You selected Henry.

:nunoout:

You selected Henry.

:nunoout:

I couldn't not. I think he's the arguably the best player in Premier League history, and it would have been easier for me to pretend he didn't exist and completely ignore him. I almost did and very nearly included Suarez who was ridiculous for Liverpool. But Henry did it for years whereas Suarez was only at Liverpool for what, two or three seasons? Though he was obviously brilliant for Barcelona after as well.

I couldn't not. I think he's the arguably the best player in Premier League history, and it would have been easier for me to pretend he didn't exist and completely ignore him. I almost did and very nearly included Suarez who was ridiculous for Liverpool. But Henry did it for years whereas Suarez was only at Liverpool for what, two or three seasons? Though he was obviously brilliant for Barcelona after as well.
Well you didn't limit yourself to the PL, so I'd have gone with Zlatan. He's better than Henry, and not just because he never suited up for Woolwich (though it helps).

Lloris
Walker, King, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto
Dembele, Modric
Bale, Eriksen, Ronaldinho
Kane

All in their prime. Would be unstopable.

You could put Son in over Ronaldinho to go 100% Spurs and it would still be a wonderful team. Genuinely makes me sad to think we once had Modric, Dembele and Eriksen in midfield in comparison to what we have now.

You'd really pick Neymar ahead of Messi, Ronaldo and a host of other world beaters?

Beech Beech Said no Ronaldo or Messi and for me Neymar is the 3rd most talented player of this generation behind them, simply went away from the spotlight at PSG and has had issues with injuries. Absolutely sensational player when he's on it, completely unplayable.

If Messi/Ronaldo were possible picks, it's a pretty easy Suarez out for Ronaldo and Salah out for Messi, Neymar would remain.

Beech Beech Said no Ronaldo or Messi and for me Neymar is the 3rd most talented player of this generation behind them, simply went away from the spotlight at PSG and has had issues with injuries. Absolutely sensational player when he's on it, completely unplayable.

If Messi/Ronaldo were possible picks, it's a pretty easy Suarez out for Ronaldo and Salah out for Messi, Neymar would remain.

Ah, missed that part......

Insanely gifted, but too much of a fair-weather dosser for my liking.....

Ah, missed that part......

Insanely gifted, but but too much of a fair-weather dosser for my liking.....

I think he screwed his legacy by going to PSG. At that point it was either he carries them towards European titles or bust, nobody cares what he does in Ligue 1. At Barca I thought he looked genuinely set to inherit Messi's crown, he was frequently the man stepping up for them in Europe.

If I was going for someone less fair-weather as you say, Ribery would probably be a shout. Maybe Bale but he's more of a shout over Salah.

Buffon
Cafu Maldini Puyol Carlos
Modric Keane
Bale Zidane Ronaldinho
Ronaldo

I don’t know how much defensive work the front 4 would do, but scary going forward. Neymar is probably better than prime Bale but I just don’t like him. I could have gone for more defensive minded full backs but always enjoyed watching them play for Brazil.
As for the best 11 of all time the AC Milan side that lost to Liverpool was pretty special, as of course were numerous Bayern, Barcelona and Madrid sides.
Didn’t put in the likes of Maradona as I didn’t get to watch him in his prime.

Schmeichel
Lahm Stam Maldini Carlos
Zidane Modric Scholes
Ronaldo Messi Ronaldinho

Subs

Oblak
Gerrard
Keane
Van Dijk
Shearer
Iniesta
Dani Alves
Busquets

Dasayev

Jorginho
Hierro
Maldini
Lizarazu

Mattheus

Messi
Ronaldo
Zidane

Van Basten
Fat Ronaldo

Subs
Pfaff
Mabbutt (has to be included)
Michel
Koeman
Xavi
Shearer
Van Bommel

Kahn
Cafu Maldini Ferdinand Carlos
Figo Zidane Viera Giggs
Ronaldo (C) Ronaldo (fat)

Or

Schmeichel
Lahm Stam Chiellini Thuram
Iniesta Keane Modric
Totti Messi Kaka

Cafu was massively underrated. Shout out to the laudrops, Zlatan, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Nedved, Henry, Weah, and many others

Back
Top Bottom