Big Match Revisited

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ah - there was a thread after all....

Anyway, we are on Big Match Revisited today, Tues 31st, 5.55pm.

1974, December, home v Newcastle. Be sure to watch this one, there are some right horror stories later in the season - 0-3 at home v Leicester, and another 0-3 at Boro.

Awful season, just about saved with 2-0 v Chavs (cue pitch invasion and a reminder of how terrible fashion was in those days), and 4-2 v Leeds, when we lucked out as Leeds were due to play the European Cup Final a few days later. Alfie Conn sat on the ball and Billy Bremner yelled at him to stop pissing about "or we'll actually try to win this game!!"

Relegation didn’t seem like the end of the world my first 2 matches were the last 2 home games v villa and Leicester (2 wins!!) and there was a strong conviction we’d bounce back (just like Man Utd did the year before the consensus being we were too big to not come straight back up and there was a fantastic atmosphere at both games - don’t remember any tears like you see now when a team is relegated . The season in division 2 was fantastic though not quite the stroll most of us expected!!
My brother was convinced we would piss the 2nd division. My dad was less confident, he was nearer the truth me thinks :)

And who can forget invading the pitch and refusing to leave until the team came out and took an ovation....after being relegated.

I imagine that was quite humbling for the players.

Just gone full anorak and checked what games I was at Vs games Alfie Conn played in. It actually amounts to seven! Home to Norwich Sept 76, Everton Oct 76, Bristol City Nov 76, Stoke Nov 76, Man City Dec 76, Woolwich Dec 76 and WHU Jan 77.

Today's BMR -

they don;t cover a match from that season (phew); but their "nostalgia" bit features Spurs v Man from some previous time

btw - Weds 15th: Spurs v Chavs. That's the 2-0 which pretty much relegated them.......pitch invasion......tragic fashion

If it's the one they KEEP SHOWING, it's where we lose 0-3..,, actually, I thought it was the cup game against Utd they were showing (spoiler alert) which we didn't win either!

ITV seem to have saved about a dozen games only for the Big Match Revisited series.,, and I've yet to see us winning one.... I know we were PRETTY bad back then, but did we not win a single match in the '70s?

I think it's more to do with my irritation at LITVERPOOL'S skewed view of 1970's football... for anyone watching these programmes for the first time as an education into 1970's football, it's as if no one else really existed back then... FFS, they even showed a 0-0 between Chelsea & Liverpool the other day as their main match... you'd NEVER get a 0-0 as first match on, unless there was a bias towards a certain team... which we all know there is with LITVERPOOL!!

I jest, o'course! I just wanna know why whenever there's a Spurs match on The Big Match Revisited, we NEVER win! It's as if all the footage of our 1970's victories has been WIPED!

I think it's more to do with my irritation at LITVERPOOL'S skewed view of 1970's football... for anyone watching these programmes for the first time as an education into 1970's football, it's as if no one else really existed back then... FFS, they even showed a 0-0 between Chelsea & Liverpool the other day as their main match... you'd NEVER get a 0-0 as first match on, unless there was a bias towards a certain team... which we all know there is with LITVERPOOL!!

I jest, o'course! I just wanna know why whenever there's a Spurs match on The Big Match Revisited, we NEVER win! It's as if all the footage of our 1970's victories has been WIPED!
Fair comments 1882 :)

I remember us beating Pool about 71, I think just before Keegan arrived. They had hadn't won anything for a few years. Chivers and Peters, massive stars in those days, scored for us. and we looked to have a better future than them.

alas it wasn't to be.

If only we had held onto Souness ...

Hard not to agree! Since MacKay, we've never really CONSISTENTLY replicated the NO NONSENSE, HARD MAN midfield enforcer, apart from Roberts in the '80s...

and I guess the game has moved on now and we're no longer in need of a midfield enfor... oh, hang on a second...

:sandro: :parker:

FOUND SOME!!!!

Remember that in the 1970s only 2 or 3 matches were filmed each weekend, so they had to select the matches beforehand - unlike today where technology and money means nearly every minute of every league (all 4 leagues!) and cup match is recorded.

This means many classic games have no video footage, and unfortunately Spurs weren't first choice unless they were playing another big team - and we often lost to the big teams.

I was a young kid but I still remember even in the early 80s the excitement of noticing tv cameras at WHL so that we knew highlights would be on tv later (regular live league matches didn't begin until spurs v forest in 1983 (we won the match 2-1 I think) - forest were a big team in the early 80s)

Remember that in the 1970s only 2 or 3 matches were filmed each weekend, so they had to select the matches beforehand - unlike today where technology and money means nearly every minute of every league (all 4 leagues!) and cup match is recorded.

This means many classic games have no video footage, and unfortunately Spurs weren't first choice unless they were playing another big team - and we often lost to the big teams.

I was a young kid but I still remember even in the early 80s the excitement of noticing tv cameras at WHL so that we knew highlights would be on tv later (regular live league matches didn't begin until spurs v forest in 1983 (we won the match 2-1 I think) - forest were a big team in the early 80s)
Good points, but I think you're underestimating our status at the time.

The Big Match was a London/SE programme. Not only were we a big club in the country, we were relatively bigger in London than we are now. In the period of the Big Match, late 60s to early 80s, IIRC, we were the second biggest club in the London region. So we were on plenty of Big Match games, and not just against big clubs. We were a big club in our own right so games against lesser clubs like West Ham Chelsea and Crystal Palace saw us featured on Big Match programmes. I've got some great games from a Big Match revisited CD I have somewhere.

However for some reason, a lot of the good stuff of ours hasn't been shown on this TV series.

For example, I'm 99.999999% sure that our 2-2 classic at Upton Park about 1968 was on the Big Match, but I haven't seen that one shown anywhere since. Maybe my memory is playing me tricks. Ditto the superb 2-2 v Man U about 1970, again for some reason not shown.Then there was our win against City with Hodd's superb goal about 1980, again not shown. Or our superb win and goal v Brum in the FA Cup about 1980, again not shown but I'm sure it was on the Big Match at the time.

There are loads of games that I remember us being on the Big Match, winning or drawing in superb games that aren't being shown. Anti-Spurs bias, I know not. But I agree with 1882, we don't seem to be getting a fair crack of the whip on this series. I wonder if they've played our defeat of Liverpool 2-0 about 1971 in the series?

Just saw us play Manure in the FA cup in 79. Perryman, hoddle, ardiles and villa and some cloggers. Surprisingly Mark Kendall was in goal. There were at least two cast iron penalties for us ignored. Ardiles got scythed, I mean properly scythed, today it would be a red card, but back then just a play on. Hoddle had his 'tache, Don Macallister almost scored twice! and Lacey and Naylor both cleared off the line. Manure fans threw a bottle on the pitch. Not a small one but a bloody great big old beer bottle.

It was only when I was hoping to see us get a winner that I remembered that manure got tothe final in 79 :avbfacepalm:
Oh and the tunnel was still towards Park Lane.
Finished 1-1. Ardiles got a great header. They bundled one in from a corner.

That was the night Joe Jordan assaulted my namesake wasn't it. Hoddle went in goal and then Ardiles scored a beauty. I'd love to see that match again.
Your memory is spot on mate. If you dig around You Tube you might find some highlights. I watched it round a friend's house. Him and his dad were both 'Cockney Reds'. I think his dad was quite surprised when I dived across their living room, when Ossie scored that goal :)

I was only 10 at the time of relegation. Maybe because of the lack of 24 hr media, twitter etc, it didn't seem such a big thing as it would be now.

As mentioned above, there'd been a narrow escape a year or so before, and Iooking back, I think there may have been a feeling that the club had to go through a sort of renewal following Nicholson, Neill, the ban from Europe (which ended up not affecting us.) I don't recall finances being mentioned , as it would be now.

On the day of relegation, won 2-0 home to Leicester I think and had to win something like 30 nil to stand a chance of staying up, but papers recorded an attitude of defiance rather than anger e.g... 'we'' be back' banners, going in the directors box .
I remember saying before that I thought the 70s viewed as a whole were enjoyable, the success in the earlier part obviously but also the closer connection with the players, the game not having many of the aspects that we moan about today. Even towards the end of a loss, if they'd tried hard, away fans would often sing 'we're proud of you'. It's almost impossible these days to discuss club football in a general sense without mentioning finances.

I saw a Big Match revisited couple of months back. From the relegation season I think, we were 3-1 up at home to a good Everton team, ten minutes to go, started trying keep ball, gave it away and drew 3-3.
Alfie Conn being candid in a post match interview saying he needs an honest conversation with Keith to see if he's wanted consistently and finishing with 'no way we go down'.
A mate of mines always says KBs only mistake was thinking Daines was the better option as Pat was past it(yeah,right)...
i would add to that ,not playing Alfie enough.he seemed a fringe player the short time he was there after Keith took over.

Back
Top Bottom