Big Match Revisited

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hope this isn't a duplicated thread :)

It's Spurs v City from 1979 tomorrow ITV4. Unfortunately I don't know if it's the 0-3 or 2-1 that year. I think it's also repeated on Friday.

If it's the one they KEEP SHOWING, it's where we lose 0-3..,, actually, I thought it was the cup game against Utd they were showing (spoiler alert) which we didn't win either!

ITV seem to have saved about a dozen games only for the Big Match Revisited series.,, and I've yet to see us winning one.... I know we were PRETTY bad back then, but did we not win a single match in the '70s?

If it's the one they KEEP SHOWING, it's where we lose 0-3..,, actually, I thought it was the cup game against Utd they were showing (spoiler alert) which we didn't win either!

ITV seem to have saved about a dozen games only for the Big Match Revisited series.,, and I've yet to see us winning one.... I know we were PRETTY bad back then, but did we not win a single match in the '70s?
Cheers for the info 1882

We were FAR FROM bad in the 1970s overall. We won THREE trophies, including the first ever UEFA Cup, beating AC Milan in the semi-finals. We also finished 3rd in the lge one season. So we did far better than we have done during the 13 years of ENIC.

Five of my all time Spurs XI Jennings, Knowles England Perryman Hoddle were all playing then at some time or other, with Kinnear a very strong contender for the RB too. And Chivers, Peters and Ardilles strong contenders for a bench spot. Alas despite his heroics in 81 I wouldn't be ble to find even a bench spot for Ricky

Obviously Ossie, Ricky and Glenn fully emerged in the 80s, but by 1978 Hoddle was already showing signs of greatness and 79-80 was one of his best-ever seasons. While the signing in 78 of our two Argentinian World Cup winning players was an absolute sensation. One of the biggest transfer coups in our entire history.

Yes we had a very dodgy patch between 75-78. But we came back really strongly and set up for another 3 trophies decade in the 80s.

Overall in the 70s we were the second best team in London, unfortunately not something we can claim to have been this century. Maybe things are changing though :)

I think it's more to do with my irritation at LITVERPOOL'S skewed view of 1970's football... for anyone watching these programmes for the first time as an education into 1970's football, it's as if no one else really existed back then... FFS, they even showed a 0-0 between Chelsea & Liverpool the other day as their main match... you'd NEVER get a 0-0 as first match on, unless there was a bias towards a certain team... which we all know there is with LITVERPOOL!!

I jest, o'course! I just wanna know why whenever there's a Spurs match on The Big Match Revisited, we NEVER win! It's as if all the footage of our 1970's victories has been WIPED!

I think it's more to do with my irritation at LITVERPOOL'S skewed view of 1970's football... for anyone watching these programmes for the first time as an education into 1970's football, it's as if no one else really existed back then... FFS, they even showed a 0-0 between Chelsea & Liverpool the other day as their main match... you'd NEVER get a 0-0 as first match on, unless there was a bias towards a certain team... which we all know there is with LITVERPOOL!!

I jest, o'course! I just wanna know why whenever there's a Spurs match on The Big Match Revisited, we NEVER win! It's as if all the footage of our 1970's victories has been WIPED!
Fair comments 1882 :)

I remember us beating Pool about 71, I think just before Keegan arrived. They had hadn't won anything for a few years. Chivers and Peters, massive stars in those days, scored for us. and we looked to have a better future than them.

alas it wasn't to be.

If only we had held onto Souness ...

Fair comments 1882 :)

I remember us beating Pool about 71, I think just before Keegan arrived. They had hadn't won anything for a few years. Chivers and Peters, massive stars in those days, scored for us. and we looked to have a better future than them.

alas it wasn't to be.

If only we had held onto Souness ...

The only plus point to that, was that he was never tempted into 'returning to us as manager' after his illustrious 10-year Spurs career!!!!

Hard not to agree! Since MacKay, we've never really CONSISTENTLY replicated the NO NONSENSE, HARD MAN midfield enforcer, apart from Roberts in the '80s...

and I guess the game has moved on now and we're no longer in need of a midfield enfor... oh, hang on a second...

:sandro: :parker:

FOUND SOME!!!!

Hard not to agree! Since MacKay, we've never really CONSISTENTLY replicated the NO NONSENSE, HARD MAN midfield enforcer, apart from Roberts in the '80s...

and I guess the game has moved on now and we're no longer in need of a midfield enfor... oh, hang on a second...

:sandro: :parker:

FOUND SOME!!!!
Like it:thumbup:

Had Pleat not sold Roberts in 86, the 87 team might have won something that season. I guess there was 'creative tension' between the two of them.

I loved Roberts. My second favourite player as I was growing up.

I thought Ruddock was pretty good for us as the hard man too. I remember him belting vinyl jones once at a corner. Jones spun around snarling saw it was razor and backed down. He got some stick off the fans after that, well more stick.

Our hardest player now, if the rumours are true is Dempsey. He's an absolute nutter by all accounts and respected throughout the league as one of the toughest.

I thought Ruddock was pretty good for us as the hard man too. I remember him belting vinyl jones once at a corner. Jones spun around snarling saw it was razor and backed down. He got some stick off the fans after that, well more stick.

Our hardest player now, if the rumours are true is Dempsey. He's an absolute nutter by all accounts and respected throughout the league as one of the toughest.

If I was to bump into one of them in a dark alley one night I'd rather it be Dempsey than Kaboul.

That man is an absolute unit.

It's one of the reasons I so like Clint, is he's got that street fighter edge to him.

Remember that in the 1970s only 2 or 3 matches were filmed each weekend, so they had to select the matches beforehand - unlike today where technology and money means nearly every minute of every league (all 4 leagues!) and cup match is recorded.

This means many classic games have no video footage, and unfortunately Spurs weren't first choice unless they were playing another big team - and we often lost to the big teams.

I was a young kid but I still remember even in the early 80s the excitement of noticing tv cameras at WHL so that we knew highlights would be on tv later (regular live league matches didn't begin until spurs v forest in 1983 (we won the match 2-1 I think) - forest were a big team in the early 80s)

Remember that in the 1970s only 2 or 3 matches were filmed each weekend, so they had to select the matches beforehand - unlike today where technology and money means nearly every minute of every league (all 4 leagues!) and cup match is recorded.

This means many classic games have no video footage, and unfortunately Spurs weren't first choice unless they were playing another big team - and we often lost to the big teams.

I was a young kid but I still remember even in the early 80s the excitement of noticing tv cameras at WHL so that we knew highlights would be on tv later (regular live league matches didn't begin until spurs v forest in 1983 (we won the match 2-1 I think) - forest were a big team in the early 80s)
Good points, but I think you're underestimating our status at the time.

The Big Match was a London/SE programme. Not only were we a big club in the country, we were relatively bigger in London than we are now. In the period of the Big Match, late 60s to early 80s, IIRC, we were the second biggest club in the London region. So we were on plenty of Big Match games, and not just against big clubs. We were a big club in our own right so games against lesser clubs like West Ham Chelsea and Crystal Palace saw us featured on Big Match programmes. I've got some great games from a Big Match revisited CD I have somewhere.

However for some reason, a lot of the good stuff of ours hasn't been shown on this TV series.

For example, I'm 99.999999% sure that our 2-2 classic at Upton Park about 1968 was on the Big Match, but I haven't seen that one shown anywhere since. Maybe my memory is playing me tricks. Ditto the superb 2-2 v Man U about 1970, again for some reason not shown.Then there was our win against City with Hodd's superb goal about 1980, again not shown. Or our superb win and goal v Brum in the FA Cup about 1980, again not shown but I'm sure it was on the Big Match at the time.

There are loads of games that I remember us being on the Big Match, winning or drawing in superb games that aren't being shown. Anti-Spurs bias, I know not. But I agree with 1882, we don't seem to be getting a fair crack of the whip on this series. I wonder if they've played our defeat of Liverpool 2-0 about 1971 in the series?

Just saw us play Manure in the FA cup in 79. Perryman, hoddle, ardiles and villa and some cloggers. Surprisingly Mark Kendall was in goal. There were at least two cast iron penalties for us ignored. Ardiles got scythed, I mean properly scythed, today it would be a red card, but back then just a play on. Hoddle had his 'tache, Don Macallister almost scored twice! and Lacey and Naylor both cleared off the line. Manure fans threw a bottle on the pitch. Not a small one but a bloody great big old beer bottle.

It was only when I was hoping to see us get a winner that I remembered that manure got tothe final in 79 :avbfacepalm:
Oh and the tunnel was still towards Park Lane.
Finished 1-1. Ardiles got a great header. They bundled one in from a corner.

Just saw us play Manure in the FA cup in 79. Perryman, hoddle, ardiles and villa and some cloggers. Surprisingly Mark Kendall was in goal. There were at least two cast iron penalties for us ignored. Ardiles got scythed, I mean properly scythed, today it would be a red card, but back then just a play on. Hoddle had his 'tache, Don Macallister almost scored twice! and Lacey and Naylor both cleared off the line. Manure fans threw a bottle on the pitch. Not a small one but a bloody great big old beer bottle.

It was only when I was hoping to see us get a winner that I remembered that manure got tothe final in 79 :avbfacepalm:
Oh and the tunnel was still towards Park Lane.
Finished 1-1. Ardiles got a great header. They bundled one in from a corner.
Yep I'v seen that one on the series.

The next year we got our revenge and Ossie scored the winner at OT, but that was on BBC

That was the night Joe Jordan assaulted my namesake wasn't it. Hoddle went in goal and then Ardiles scored a beauty. I'd love to see that match again.
Your memory is spot on mate. If you dig around You Tube you might find some highlights. I watched it round a friend's house. Him and his dad were both 'Cockney Reds'. I think his dad was quite surprised when I dived across their living room, when Ossie scored that goal :)

Ah - there was a thread after all....

Anyway, we are on Big Match Revisited today, Tues 31st, 5.55pm.

1974, December, home v Newcastle. Be sure to watch this one, there are some right horror stories later in the season - 0-3 at home v Leicester, and another 0-3 at Boro.

Awful season, just about saved with 2-0 v Chavs (cue pitch invasion and a reminder of how terrible fashion was in those days), and 4-2 v Leeds, when we lucked out as Leeds were due to play the European Cup Final a few days later. Alfie Conn sat on the ball and Billy Bremner yelled at him to stop pissing about "or we'll actually try to win this game!!"

Back
Top Bottom