Bolton In Trouble

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

200,000 live in Bolton less than 4,000 bother to watch their local club ... fuck em' it's tragic for their true fans but the town doesn't deserve a club if they won't support it ...

Luton with a 218,000 population average 10,000 and yet they have half a dozen EPL clubs within an hours travel ....

Luton recovered from going into non-league football so can Bolton if the fans can be bothered to stay loyal, it might even prove the best thing for them rather than constantly being weeks away from going bust.
What a weird contradiction in your post.

Your excuse for Luton is proximity of other clubs. Have you seen the amount of clubs within an hour of Bolton? Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Everton, Burnley, Huddersfield, Wigan, Blackburn, Preston, Bury, Rochdale, Stockport, Salford, plus a plethora of non league clubs. There's a lot of competition.

Regardless of that, you've just looked at one or two attendances and drawn a conclusion without any knowledge of the situation. The cause of this has been bad management, over and over again. It's not the supporters. What can they do if they have owners that are irresponsible? They're already boycotting, hence the crowds. They can't do much more to try and force out an owner that lives in a fantasy world, and they can't be blamed for the leach that is Laurence Bassini, whose tactics prevented potential sales of the club to other people going through.

My wife's from Bolton and her brother's a big fan, as are a few of our friends, and it's really sad what's happening to their club.

Whoever the football club, even that lot down the Seven Sisters Road, I wouldn't wish this on them. It could've so easily been us in the 80s/early 90s. Cunts with shit attitudes towards the fans of other clubs have a short memory if they forget what could've been.

200,000 live in Bolton less than 4,000 bother to watch their local club ... fuck em' it's tragic for their true fans but the town doesn't deserve a club if they won't support it ...

Luton with a 218,000 population average 10,000 and yet they have half a dozen EPL clubs within an hours travel ....

Luton recovered from going into non-league football so can Bolton if the fans can be bothered to stay loyal, it might even prove the best thing for them rather than constantly being weeks away from going bust.

I get the point being made and agree to a point but those stats on attendances are a bit off

Luton don't average 10,000. That's a sell out for them, something they've only done towards the end of last season and now they are in the Championship. Loyal core though I agree.

Bolton were getting more, 13,000-15,000 last season. That attendance at the weekend was their lowest ever, not sure if it was some sort of protest or not.

Great post, but don't agree about woolwich, if they were liquidated I would probably die from laughing whilst trying to drink.....
Yeah, on second thoughts it would be sweet. Would also be fun seeing a phoenix club rattle around the lower leagues too, but then when the fixtures come out and there's no NLD to look forward to it'd be a bit shit. Football without your rivals isn't really football.

Football fans need to stick together because you never know when your own club might end up in the wrong hands and you need the support of others

Last edited:
Days like this prove that Football (as we knew it) is dying...

Modern football as it is now becoming... with it's PSG/Man City/Qatar WC/Ronaldo & Neymar plc/Oil Sheik money and newbie online superstar fans ISN'T football!

Proud, historic clubs like Bury and Bolton ARE football...
It's a sad state of affairs, it really is.

Why go and watch National League football when you have Liverpool, Everton,Man City and Man Utd only 40 minutes away.

Because that's a long way away, it costs an arm and a leg, and it's not YOUR town.

Support for local football teams is one of the most admirable things about the UK in my experience, and it breaks my heart to see it waning.

Your excuse for Luton is proximity of other clubs. Have you seen the amount of clubs within an hour of Bolton? Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Everton, Burnley, Huddersfield, Wigan, Blackburn, Preston, Bury, Rochdale, Stockport, Salford, plus a plethora of non league clubs. There's a lot of competition.

Regardless of that, you've just looked at one or two attendances and drawn a conclusion without any knowledge of the situation. The cause of this has been bad management, over and over again. It's not the supporters. What can they do if they have owners that are irresponsible? They're already boycotting, hence the crowds. They can't do much more to try and force out an owner that lives in a fantasy world, and they can't be blamed for the leach that is Laurence Bassini, whose tactics prevented potential sales of the club to other people going through.

My wife's from Bolton and her brother's a big fan, as are a few of our friends, and it's really sad what's happening to their club.

Whoever the football club, even that lot down the Seven Sisters Road, I wouldn't wish this on them. It could've so easily been us in the 80s/early 90s. Cunts with shit attitudes towards the fans of other clubs have a short memory if they forget what could've been.
Post of the day

Couldn’t care less about Bolton tho, that Kevin Davies plank and Kevin Nolan used to torment us every season.
What should they have done? Roll over and let us tickle their bellies?

They were well within their rights to try and win every game by whatever means necessary, and if that made it difficult for us then they were doing something right.

Also, those people were involved in Bolton as a football club for like 2-3% of their entire history. Not sure how we should be happy for the club to die because they had some players who we found it tough to play against once

Sky have absolutely no shame.......

Couldn’t care less about Bolton tho, that Kevin Davies plank and Kevin Nolan used to torment us every season.
Agree with the Sky bit...
Not so the Bolton sentiments...
If you couldn't give a shit about Bolton, I'm surprised you weren't "counting down" the seconds with them, whilst poised with a bottle of bubbly!
Also, if the fact they used to torment us in games gone by is your benchmark for whether you CARE if a club survives or not, then we'll be down to about a 7 Club League system!!

Clubs like MK Dons and whatever it is PSG/Man City have morphed into are what's wrong with where football is now... not Bolton or Bury!

Because that's a long way away, it costs an arm and a leg, and it's not YOUR town.

Support for local football teams is one of the most admirable things about the UK in my experience, and it breaks my heart to see it waning.

WTF are you on about ?? Wrexham was my home town for over 60 years and I supported them for a vast majority of those no matter what league they were in. The point I am making is that people who have Premier League sides on their doorstep these days would rather spend their money watching them play rather than their home town teams and that is what is putting those smaller clubs under pressure.
It breaks my heart too but unfortunately it's a sign of the times.

WTF are you on about ?? Wrexham was my home town for over 60 years and I supported them for a vast majority of those no matter what league they were in. The point I am making is that people who have Premier League sides on their doorstep these days would rather spend their money watching them play rather than their home town teams and that is what is putting those smaller clubs under pressure.
It breaks my heart too but unfortunately it's a sign of the times.

Oh, I wasn't accusing you personally, I was making the counterargument to the one you raised.

Great post, but don't agree about woolwich, if they were liquidated I would probably die from laughing whilst trying to drink.....

I get the point being made and agree to a point but those stats on attendances are a bit off

Luton don't average 10,000. That's a sell out for them, something they've only done towards the end of last season and now they are in the Championship. Loyal core though I agree.

Bolton were getting more, 13,000-15,000 last season. That attendance at the weekend was their lowest ever, not sure if it was some sort of protest or not.
Average home league attendance Luton 2018/199,516
Average home league attendance Bolton 2018/1914,239

BangkokSpud BangkokSpud almost right about Luton however way off about Bolton.

Back
Top Bottom