Boring, boring Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
It is widely regarded in footballing circles that since ‘Arry Redknapp departed us, Tottenham are no longer the league’s entertainers. Gone are the days that the football on show at White Hart Lane is the free-flowing, pulse-raising displays that had journalists up and down the land drooling. Given 2013’s performances thus far, this is a sentiment I just cannot agree with. In season’s gone by, the red tops favourite adjective to describe Spurs was undoubtedly ‘swashbuckling’, a word I have [...]

Continue reading...

We should find that, apart from a stricter training regime, the new style of play will help us conserve energy and avoid burn-out as we have seen in previous seasons.

The "swashbuckling" and 100mph football is tiring. AVB has added a new (to use his favourite word) dimension.

Should hold us in good stead in the run-in.

AVB uses a patient tactic where he wants us to keep the ball a lot in the 1st half which means that we have had many first halfs with more than 60% possession. It leaves our opponents chasing the ball and getting tired. Towards the end of the game we up the tempo while our opponents are longing for the game to end. How many goals come in the 2nd half? That's when we really get going.

After Everton he gave the team more tasks at the end of each training to improve the concentration of the players in the last few minutes of the game.

As we'll improve on the finer parts of this tactic we will also see finer football too, as we still aren't perfect, still work in progess. We are coming to a point where we are seeing a cleat picture of what he's trying to do now and it's promising. If AVB gets his way, things are looking good for us.

I think there are a few good points raised. Especially the fact that people are starting to deal with our pace a lot better than they have in the past. It also needs to be remembered that it will still take time to adapt to our current style of play. For a transition season we aren't doing to bad really are we.

I miss when we used to be overwhelmingly swish, but the fuck you gonna do about it. Still Spurs right?

We were overwhelmingly swish, on occasion.

People (and not directed at you) seem to have this notion we were swashbuckling and swish game after game after game for 3 seasons. Over 3 seasons there is probably not a full seasons worth of that sort of football.

I think there is a spurs tint to the view many people have when looking back.

That said under Redknapp, on one of our swish days, we blew away anything from this season for entertainment value.

I admire people trying to see something similar in todays football but its a fools errand.

I see a functional, pragmatic team that has a long way to go. It has enough quality and potential in it (in both players and design) to whet the appetite, I think it could become something very special, but at this point? No, sorry. Its % football for much of the time.

My hope (spurs tint) is that this is the foundation of a top quality team being laid, and that patience is key.

I wonder how we will play when we are 2 or even 3 goals up early in the game, it could well happen everthing clicks and everyone plays well, even Ade!

I wonder how we will play when we are 2 or even 3 goals up early in the game, it could well happen everthing clicks and everyone plays well, even Ade!
Spurs scoring multiple early goals? Mrs Wooks keeps talking about a similar myth...

I still maintain that as long as we're winning, no one will genuinely give a shit!

The days of the early '60s titles+entertainers are long gone in today's game!

It's either one thing; ArseAnal/Newcastle's entertainers but nothing to show for it, or Man City/Chelsea's version of winning at all costs!

Even Man Utd have been distinctly average and uninspiring on their romp to the title this year!

AVB uses a patient tactic where he wants us to keep the ball a lot in the 1st half which means that we have had many first halfs with more than 60% possession. It leaves our opponents chasing the ball and getting tired. Towards the end of the game we up the tempo while our opponents are longing for the game to end. How many goals come in the 2nd half? That's when we really get going.

Excellent point and something missed from a lot of the analysis of what AVB was about in this country.

Before he took over it was all 'high line', 'pressing', '4-3-3' without talking about the key part of AVBs preferred system which you identify here. Patience.

Rather than the high pressure attack that was talked about by the British press before he arrived at Chelsea what AVBs Porto were most notable for was the way they built a game. The first half would be fairly patient, the line quite deep as they played possession football to tire the opposition. The pressing was to ensure that the opposition could not settle and relax rather than hunting the ball to win it. A fair amount of Porto games would be 0-0 at half time.

In the second half it changed however. The still fresh Porto would begin actively hunting the ball all over the pitch moving in 3s to close down the midfield. The defence would step up and compress the space making the superior technique of the Porto midfield in close situations count and enabling them to be on the opposition in seconds if they miss controlled a ball.

Falcao, a fairly static figure in most first halves that year, would begin making runs into the right channel to drag the centre backs around, Hulk would dart across into the space and Varela would stretch the back line with his pace. As the opposition tired Porto would up the intensity of their game a further notch and would score, often several goals, in the last half hour.

The best example was the first leg of the Europa League semi against Villareal. A patient opening 45, Rossi having the best of the openings. They even went behind to a Cani goal but stepped up their game in the customary fashion and broke the Villareal team mentally and physically. Falcao scored 4 second half goals, Guarin the fifth and Villareal lost 5-1 from being 1-0 up.

Villareal should have done their homework. In the previous round Spartak thought they were in the game after 45 minutes too before 4 late goals sent them back to Russia with a 5-1 mauling. The ruthless efficiency of that Porto side was incredible to watch.

The West Ham game was very reminiscent of those Porto performances. Patient probing, making West Ham run around like twats all game and then the last 30 minutes was constant Spurs movement and pressure to the point where West Ham defenders were chopping our players down just to get a rest.

It's not the gung ho swashbuckle of the 'fucking run around' era, it's too calculated for that, too designed. But if we continue to develop that type of game further and get half as good as Porto were at it by the end of 2010-11 then we'll be winning a hell of a lot of games.

Agree with the title, disagree with its contents. I haven't been able to watch a full match without dozing off around the half hour mark. I would've loved to join in the cheers when Dempsey scored the equaliser.

Agree with the title, disagree with its contents. I haven't been able to watch a full match without dozing off around the half hour mark. I would've loved to join in the cheers when Dempsey scored the equaliser.

Lol, jog on mate. The fact it was Spurs vs. Man United would be enough to keep you awake. The intensity of that is probably much more likely to keep anyone awake over watching 'pretty football'.

Back
Top Bottom