Bournemouth considering legal action against Hawkeye

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It s pity it happened to them, and I can certainly understand them having a bitch and whine about the incompetence of the situation, after all:

The ref missed it
The linesman missed it
Hawkeye missed it
VAR missed it (if they even bothered checking)
Everyone watching at home saw it

But as for legal action....jog on.

Is it too late for us to sue everyone over the '12-'13 PL season, when weren't granted a single penalty over the course of the entire season, and ended up one point short of Woolwich and a Champion's League spot?

What about the penalty we should of had against them?
Everyone has had shit calls that might of changed the result
VAR & Hawkeye aren't comparable though. One is still an opinion, where as the other is did the ball cross the line or not & isn't based on a persons opinion.

The latter does bet the question though; how any instance where a keeper with the ball in their arms can be judged accurately by Hawkeye...?
This is the first time (I think they said 9000 games) it wasn't just the keeper it was defenders also blocking... A freak.

Even then VAR should have looked at it (and it was allowed to) the reason why it didn't was the ref thought Hawkeye was 100%, they now know its 99.99% so will be more willing to override.

VAR & Hawkeye aren't comparable though. One is still an opinion, where as the other is did the ball cross the line or not & isn't based on a persons opinion.
Yes, but what would Bournemouth's cause of action against Hawkeye be? What are they saying that Hawkeye did that was legally wrong?

Edit: also causation and proximity are a real issue. The more I think about the case the more absurd it seems.

Last edited:
VAR should've just given it. Yes, it's not on their list of reasons to get involved, but it's just so obvious it was a goal.

As for a court case, I can't see it succeeding. Hawkeye is basically an electronic ref that rarely gets it wrong, but not never. It's not illegal to get a refereeing decision wrong.

This is the first time (I think they said 9000 games) it wasn't just the keeper it was defenders also blocking... A freak.

Even then VAR should have looked at it (and it was allowed to) the reason why it didn't was the ref thought Hawkeye was 100%, they now know its 99.99% so will be more willing to override.

Lol come on, it wasn’t turned on

Trouble is the ref relies on VAR and VAR relies on Hawkeye... passing the buck, frightened to make a mistake.

VAR should've just given it. Yes, it's not on their list of reasons to get involved, but it's just so obvious it was a goal.

As for a court case, I can't see it succeeding. Hawkeye is basically an electronic ref that rarely gets it wrong, but not never. It's not illegal to get a refereeing decision wrong.
For this reason alone, VAR has been a load of crap this season.

The ref may think that Hawkeye is 100 percent accurate, but VAR in that situation should tell him that its got it wrong and reverse the decision...... If anything that is the whole point of VAR - to get the absolute howler, blatantly obvious wrong decisions overturned.

Instead they're using it to ascertain whether a player is 1 millimetre offside.

Twats

Yes, but what would Bournemouth's cause of action against Hawkeye be? What are they saying that Hawkeye did that was legally wrong?

Edit: also causation and proximity are a real issue. The more I think about the case the more absurd it seems.
I am just commenting on how you can't compare goal line technology to VAR checking a debatable foul for example. Tough break for Bournemouth. I don't think they are making a legal challenge.

Hawkeye is direct to ref. because of this VAR will question Hawkeye in future as it should have done here.
Just checked and goal line tech was introduced in the 13-14 season. This has been the first failure of note. One failure in 6-7 years. There's really nowhere to go but down.

I'll say it now, next season several goals will be wrongfully awarded or ruled out, "because Hawkeye can't be trusted".

Just checked and goal line tech was introduced in the 13-14 season. This has been the first failure of note. One failure in 6-7 years. There's really nowhere to go but down.

I'll say it now, next season several goals will be wrongfully awarded or ruled out, "because Hawkeye can't be trusted".
Its not my view but that one failure will lead to questions over all calls... Those that are just in or out will now be questioned, if its not 100% how can we trust it etc.

Its a shame as I like the way there were no arguments.

For this reason alone, VAR has been a load of crap this season.

The ref may think that Hawkeye is 100 percent accurate, but VAR in that situation should tell him that its got it wrong and reverse the decision...... If anything that is the whole point of VAR - to get the absolute howler, blatantly obvious wrong decisions overturned.

Instead they're using it to ascertain whether a player is 1 millimetre offside.

Twats
Exactly, VAR has the power to overrule a goal if a player's cock is 1mm offside, 0.5mm over the halfway line. But it cannot give a goal when Sheff Utd goalie Dean BlackLivesMatter holds the ball against the inside of the net.
SPORT-PREVIEW-NO-GOAL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom