Bournemouth v Tottenham Hotspur - 9th July - 6pm(UK)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Pochettino felt massively let down by the performance in the CL Final.

Not sure if the players felt ashamed for how they performed, or whether the decision to drop Moura caused issues. Maybe a mix.

That shit performance was definitely the breaking point between Spurs and Pochettino. I think it would have been very different if they had put some effort in, even if we lost.
Was the performance that bad?

I've watched the game again and we created a bunch of chances. Our finishing on the day was abysmal. If we showed a bit of composure in front of goal the result would have a been different. I do believe that. I think they just panicked and snatched at chances due to nerves from the magnitude of the game.

There was no lack of effort. We huffed and puffed without ever really testing Alisson with a good shot.

equalled the record for most penalties received in one season I think.
Oh and they had the most penalties received last year as well

🤔

It's pretty clear and obvious that Man Utd must not be allowed to fail and must make the Champions league.

As shit as we've been give us the 13 penalties they've had in exchange for our 4. Plus the other nonsense decisions that have gone against us like Son's sending off against Everton, and handful of "big toe" offside calls and we would be comfortably trade places with them in the table. Easily enough to make up that 9-10 point swing between the two sides.

Yes,It would be glossing over the problems with our squad. but make no mistake fine margins win games.

By all means criticize our team and the football we are playing at the moment but i don't understand it when people say it makes no difference to the result. Of course it makes a difference to the result in both the Sheffield game and last nights game, those goals would have made ALL the difference in the result.

It's pretty clear and obvious that Man Utd must not be allowed to fail and must make the Champions league.

As shit as we've been give us the 13 penalties they've had in exchange for our 4. Plus the other nonsense decisions that have gone against us like Son's sending off against Everton, and handful of "big toe" offside calls and we would be comfortably trade places with them in the table. Easily enough to make up that 9-10 point swing between the two sides.

Yes,It would be glossing over the problems with our squad. but make no mistake fine margins win games.

By all means criticize our team and the football we are playing at the moment but i don't understand it when people say it makes no difference to the result. Of course it makes a difference to the result in both the Sheffield game and last nights game, those goals would have made ALL the difference in the result.
Or it could be that no-one understands what Jose is trying to do ?

As much as we didn't deserve anything from the game, I am still livid about the decision not to award us a penalty.

How is that any different to the one Pogba got vs us? If anything its more a penalty.

These referees are free to make these decisions without having to justify them after. Instead they are given the free reign to do it again the next game week. But as soon as a manager questions the decision they are hit with a fine or ban?

We have the most incompetent group of officials in the world, and we are using VAR differently to every other nation. Why do we have pitch side monitors if they aren't going to use them?!
I posted this in the VAR thread after the Sheffield Utd game.

Rugby have used TMO the best. The one thing that ABSOLUTELY needs to come in is the transparency between on pitch officials and the VAR official. If we can hear how they come about with the decision then it enhances transparency and the VAR official can be held accountable for enforcing the rules as they are written.

At the moment the VAR official can make a decision and nobody knows how they came to that conclusion. When another VAR official can make a different decision for a similar scenario.

You then get the same official making wrong decisions, knowing full well that he is not going to be criticised for it publicly. A manager or player does that and its a fine and match bans.

We drew 0-0, the penalty would have made it 1-0 after 5 minutes.

Of course the decision had an effect on the game (again).

This I must agree with.... Doesn't excuse the remaining 85mins, but 1-nil down after 5 minutes that team has to 'come out' at some point (esp. being on the brink of relegation... Even the draw allows them to fight another day!), which would be suicide as has proven time and again for them against teams with attacking quality in their ranks.

To still be in the game at half time is 9/10ths of the strategy for a team with their backs against the wall.

Or it could be that no-one understands what Jose is trying to do ?

Do you think Liverpool/Woolwich/Man Utd fans just shrug and go "Ah well we were shit and didn't deserve anything anyway" when a big decision goes against them?

Yeah we were shit, I've acknowledged that, I've also acknowledged we are playing terrible football which is boring and frustrating to watch. The fact is, if we slot that penalty we still win that game in all likelihood.

It's a mentality at the club and in the fan base that we just roll over and take these decisions going against us.

I'm dead curious as to how many of their pens have broken the deadlock for them......

Last night & Vs us is 2 in a matter of weeks.

Last edited:
I posted this in the VAR thread after the Sheffield Utd game.

Rugby have used TMO the best. The one thing that ABSOLUTELY needs to come in is the transparency between on pitch officials and the VAR official. If we can hear how they come about with the decision then it enhances transparency and the VAR official can be held accountable for enforcing the rules as they are written.

At the moment the VAR official can make a decision and nobody knows how they came to that conclusion. When another VAR official can make a different decision for a similar scenario.
And the original referee stands there like a lemon when the screen is available. If the ref last night had gone and looked, he would have given it. The real problem here is that the booth doesn't want to seen to overturn the original decision and embarrass the ref. So, because of some nicety, 3 bad decisions made last night !!
If the ref changed his own mind! What's the problem ?

And the original referee stands there like a lemon when the screen is available. If the ref last night had gone and looked, he would have given it. The real problem here is that the booth doesn't want to seen to overturn the original decision and embarrass the ref. So, because of some nicety, 3 bad decisions made last night !!
If the ref changed his own mind! What's the problem ?
Yeah.

Frankly we should be using it the same way as Rugby.
The on field officials make all the decisions by looking at the monitor. The VAR guy just says to the official you might have missed something there go take a look.

Transparent communication between ref and VAR. Everyone can hear. Job done.

Also get rid of that stupid handball rule.

Was the performance that bad?

I've watched the game again and we created a bunch of chances. Our finishing on the day was abysmal. If we showed a bit of composure in front of goal the result would have a been different. I do believe that. I think they just panicked and snatched at chances due to nerves from the magnitude of the game.

There was no lack of effort. We huffed and puffed without ever really testing Alisson with a good shot.

The performance was that bad. A bit of perspective. We were playing a side who will be relegated in the next few weeks, who’ve lost 17 of their last 22 league games, who’s conceded 9 in their last 2 games, who hadn’t kept a clean sheet since they faced Luton Town in the 3rd round of the FA Cup at the start of January.

To become the first sight to fail to register a shot on target against Bournemouth in their 186 game history in the top flight tells you how bad the performance was.

The performance was that bad. A bit of perspective. We were playing a side who will be relegated in the next few weeks, who’ve lost 17 of their last 22 league games, who’s conceded 9 in their last 2 games, who hadn’t kept a clean sheet since they faced Luton Town in the 3rd round of the FA Cup at the start of
January.

To become the first sight to fail to register a shot on target against Bournemouth in their 186 game history in the top flight tells you how bad the performance was.
No you misread.

I was quoting a post about the CL final performance.

Don't get me started on the performance yesterday 😂

Yeah.

Frankly we should be using it the same way as Rugby.
The on field officials make all the decisions by looking at the monitor. The VAR guy just says to the official you might have missed something there go take a look.

Transparent communication between ref and VAR. Everyone can hear. Job done.

Also get rid of that stupid handball rule.

It really shouldn't need that. That's just another way of the refereeing body wanting it to be seen that the pitch referee is the one making "the call" and maintaining his "authority". And it just drags it out further.

Any ref, with the benefit of VAR replays, looking at those decisions last night should have been able to make easy calls. The problem is "The directive" from the referees association instructing them not to make the pitch referee look bad by overturning his decision.

They just need to grow a fucking pair, show some common sense and actually use the technology at their disposal properly and stop worrying about the bullshit perceived threat to the "authority" of the pitch referee.

The performance was that bad. A bit of perspective. We were playing a side who will be relegated in the next few weeks, who’ve lost 17 of their last 22 league games, who’s conceded 9 in their last 2 games, who hadn’t kept a clean sheet since they faced Luton Town in the 3rd round of the FA Cup at the start of January.

Yeah but if we had been given the penalty, we WOULD have had 1 shot on goal.
Unless of course we let Lamela take it !

I'm dead curious as to how many of their pens have broken the deadlock for them......

Last night & Vs us is 2 in a matter of weeks.

Yeah and interestingly they are bottom of the league on conceding them.

How can that be? They've been quite average for a lot of the season and have only recently started clicking (and I agree some of those PKs have been the catalyst for some of that clicking)

Zero quality. These players don't have a clue what to do with the ball when they have it. They ponder, hesitate and eventually get crowded out of options.

I think it is quite evident why Eriksen was 'un-dropable' despite his form. He was essentially carrying the team.

GLC is almost a clone of Lamela. Hard working terrier fighting for the ball, but has no clue what to do with it when he has it.

For all the criticism of Aurier; he put some great balls into the box tonight. Kane didn't even make an effort to get on the end of them. He's ball watching and not anticipating anything.

Right now, we need Dele back as he is the only person in our squad with any vision.

At the most Aurier put a couple of decent balls in the box

But most, as usual, were shite

Get rid asap

Back
Top Bottom