BRENTFORD AT HOME - THURSDAY

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My first visit to the Lane this season and I was expecting a tough game. Strangely, it looked like we had control of it from very early on. Despite a few, small patches.

Credit to the Brentford fans who were lively, but were silenced every time they started up.

On the pitch, it was a shame Royal wasn't able to get more forward. I don't remember him actually making a single positive run and taking a player on. We were much more dangerous down the left.

Loved the second goal, that was champagne football.

Even enjoyed the train home, especially when Ronaldo got his 3rd.

More of this please, Conte.

Same players, different manager.

Conte trolling so many with his selections. You just love to see it.

Totally dominant performance from us both with and without the ball. Still quite clunky on the ball but you can see all the loads of positional runs being made, players on the ball looking for a trigger to pass but only doing so if players are where they should be, if not then it's recycled and we start to build again.

Hard to pick fault with any of the players on the pitch tonight. An easy win made so by mostly what we did off the ball.

I don't think we are that far behind United tbh. United have bigger names but just like Dele, most of their players are a shadow of themselves.

Striker - Kane v Ronaldo. Both are great.
Wings - Son/Lucas v Rashford/Sancho. Son is easily the best but overall you could make a case to be even.
AM - Bruno is way better than anyone we have.
defensive midfield - Skipp/Hojbjerg are better than McT and Fred
Fullbacks - different systems so hard to judge but Shaw has been awful this season and AWB is terrible going forward. They have flaws just like us.
CBs - Dier is just like Maguire. Some good games, then horrible errors. Varane like Romero, talented but not available enough.
GK - De Gea has been great this year just like Lloris.

So overall I would say the talent gap is not nearly as big as people make it out. We just have been held back by horrible tactics and training. Conte will improve everyone.
I think their team is a decent step above ours in terms of quality, but even if we accept your comparisons here it doesn’t factor in the respective strength of squads.

From the first XI you listed, they also have Cavani, Greenwood, Martial, Lingard, VDB, Matic, etc. We can’t compete with that.

If every team performed to par they would be comfortably above us. We have to hope Conte can eek out more than par from us (and perhaps some quality additions in Jan would help too) and Utd continue to underperform.

They still look disjointed to me and we have the superior manager, so there’s definite reason for optimism.

Same players, different manager.
Conte trolling so many with his selections. You just love to see it.
Totally dominant performance from us both with and without the ball. Still quite clunky on the ball but you can see all the loads of positional runs being made, players on the ball looking for a trigger to pass but only doing so if players are where they should be, if not then it's recycled and we start to build again.
Hard to pick fault with any of the players on the pitch tonight. An easy win made so by mostly what we did off the ball.
Are you sure?

You do know that to be accepted you either have to make it a lifetime choice to criticise everything one player does and vilify his every movement and life choice (top tip, they usually start with Harry) - or just go for the blanket approach and slag them all off.
For bonus points, attack the management of the club - and to really hang out for your golden "Whiner" (TFC Oscar variant) go for the lot and then berate all other posters (except Mrs P) into the bargain.

Coming round here trying to pass yourself off as an adult who understands football and actually supports the club will win you no friends round this neck of the woods.

Caught the second half last night, and watched extended highlights of the first. Looks like we had control throughout, and created chances. Defence looked fairly solid, and kept Toney and Mbeumbo quiet.

Skipp was sensational. Reguilon played well. Dier and Davies look reborn.

It'll take time, but you can see signs of improvement already.

Caught the second half last night, and watched extended highlights of the first. Looks like we had control throughout, and created chances. Defence looked fairly solid, and kept Toney and Mbeumbo quiet.

Skipp was sensational. Reguilon played well. Dier and Davies look reborn.

It'll take time, but you can see signs of improvement already.
And if results go our way this weekend, could be fourth with a game in hand. I know, I know.

What I liked most was the excellent positional play from our lads. In fact, afterwards Sonny was saying that Conte was drilling into them that they should be positioning themselves better, being where they needed to be for the next phase of play.

Perhaps that’s why NDombele isn’t getting a game, can you imagine him in training: “oh, really, do I have to get over there? ….. that’s miles away, I’m quite happy sitting here ….. do I really have to move? …”

And if results go our way this weekend, could be fourth with a game in hand. I know, I know.
It's certainly not been the disaster of a season it seemed, however the games we did lose were very poor performances. Acting on removing Nuno when we did was crucial.

4th place is open this year, but I expect Man Utd to pick up form now.

What I liked most was being a Yid! the excellent positional play from our lads. In fact, afterwards Sonny was saying that Conte was drilling into them that they should be positioning themselves better, being where they needed to be for the next phase of play.

Perhaps that’s why NDombele isn’t getting a game, can you imagine him in training: “oh, really, do I have to get over there? ….. that’s miles away, I’m quite happy sitting here ….. do I really have to move? …”
FIXED!

Wasn’t entertaining but we looked organised both in defence and attack and our fitness looks much better. Early days but good signs.

What I liked about us defensively is that we were solid, but didn't invite too much pressure. We pushed higher at the right times but also dropped off when we had to and mostly stopped them getting in behind us.

We look a much better balanced side already I think, the players looked comfortable and in control in this game. You can see how - when he has the players - Conte gets his sides to just churn out win after win.

I was really impressed with the Brentford keeper. And he is only their second choice. He'll be an interesting name to keep track of.

Back
Top Bottom