Brighton (a) 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
Insania

They say the definition of madness is repeating the same behaviour pattern but expecting a different result. If so, Pochettino will soon have developed a full Inspector Dreyfus tick.

If you just want to bask in the afterglow of a much needed win, then please look away now.

I've read Poch's post match platitudes; "good spirit" blah blah. I don't believe spirit has ever been an issue. If he thinks that's been the problem, then I'm am really starting to worry. The problem with this game was Pochettino picking the same pair of midfield plodders that he's been picking all season, with the same, inevitable outcome. No tempo or vision in possession and then no control when the opposition decide to have a little hurrah.

This game pretty much followed the season blue print so far, when the opposition are passive, we are laborious, when they become aggressive, we are like headless fucking chickens. Up against another opposition of this type, deep block team that happily cede possession we plodded around midfield predictably. A to B to C to D, joining the nearest dot to dots.

So many times players like Kane, Eriksen, Moura, Trippier, Rose and Son made runs - every single time Dembele and Dier either didn't see them or saw them and just deemed the pass " way too adventurous" to attempt. As a result, every time the AM's/FB's got on the ball, which they did, it was Invariably when Brighton were set, and consequently we created absolutely nothing of any quality in the first 70 minutes.

Luckily we were handed (bum bum) a gift by their stupid defender who completely needlessly elbowed away a free kick, Kane duly dispatching the resultant penalty with aplomb.

Then in the second half, when Brighton decided to press us a bit higher and actually make a game of it, as with the Newcastle, ManU, Liverpool and Fulham games, our midfield just completely lost control of the game, and during this spell we were incredibly lucky not to concede, Brighton were gaining momentum, forcing several corners, one which Gazzaniga got away with a complete fuck up, and then created probably the best chance of the game when Knockaert made idiots of both Trippier and Alderweireld then inexplicably wanked his shot straight at our keeper.

The game had become yet another chaotic farce.

Then, out of the blue, we put together a very slick counter attack. Trippier hemmed in, cleverly manages to spoil Dier's attempt to hide by nut-megging the ball to him, Dier then feeds Lamela in midfield, he feeds Moura and continues his run into the box, meanwhile Moura taps it on to Rose, who incredibly, managed to do something composed and finds Lamela with a sweet first time ball which Lamela, having bust his bollocks to get there, then dispatches with finesse.

At this point it was Brighton's turn to turn to pish. They now had no option but to chuck themselves forward in numbers, we then had more chances on the counter, all of them pissed away with carelessness or poor finishing.

Eventually Rose managed to undo his good offensive contribution with an absolutely comical bit of defending. Faced with a very left biased player running in from the right, he decides to show him onto his stronger left foot, then proceeds to have a sit down.

Luckily time round out.

On the plus side, I'm pleased Poch ditched the wanky 442 diamond, Moura so much better being able to run at more isolated full backs than the blind alleys of congested central areas, but that's pretty much where the tactical good news ends. Against a bus park team, why not play one 6 type and have two more pro-active 8's hubbing off him either side, being more ambitious and incisive with their passing, and being able to bomb on and support the attack from deeper, hard to pick up areas?

They don't bring anything incisive, don't bring any tempo, and they when games get busy, they don't even help us retain control, so why persist with the fucking trundle brothers.

I thought the Son/Lamela sub was logical. Son was bumbling around like a fart in a trance, as is his way often, but the next change was daft. Moura is our freshest and quickest player, we were now playing on the counter. Why not just take Kane off, chuck Alli up top as a false 9, and have Lamela and Moura breaking. off him.

Also not sure how Poch can watch Dier chug around like an intoxicated hippo doing a mating dance, whilst all around him turns to chaos, and leave him out there. What the fuck is a sub for?

Poch has rotated the FB's, fucked about with the AM's, tired making Moura a striker, surely, sooner or later the penny is going to drop, the one thing he hasn't changed is the thing that is causing the most endemic problems?

Individual

Gazzaniga - One horrendous moment where he came and completely missed a corner, they scored, but luckily they were offside, apart from that he his handling was good and he looked OK.

Trippier - Definitely not one of his better games. Mugged off too easily a couple of times.

Alderweireld - Some OK stuff, some less than OK stuff.

Vertonghen - OK.

Rose - Mixed bag. Lots of energy, not a lot of composure until that great ball for the goal. Then defended like a fucking schoolboy to let Knockaert score.

Dier/Dembele - refused to play anything remotely incisive when we are in possession. Unable to stem the chaos when were are not.

Son - Bumbled about.

Eriksen - Was very involved, as ever, played one lovely little through ball late on, but still not seeing peak Eriksen.

Moura - Lively as ever.

Kane - Back with the CF area to himself, this was probably the closest to "normal" silverback Kane we've seen this season. Loads more touches, loads more passes and nearly doubled his shot total for the season in one game. Wasted a glorious chance, but just nice to see him with a "glorious chance". Still don't understand why he can't ever be subbed.

Lamela - Don't usually include subs, as Poch rarely makes them in any time worth rating, but he had a definite positive impact today.

Last edited:
I watched the game like most people. Are bus-conductor bus-conductor ‘s posts going out on the World Service? In an age where everyone can watch the game this 1950’s style reportage seems to be redundant for folk who aren’t living in Mauritania. Fair play to the guy though.

‘Did you see the game?’ Yes, but when I saw BC’s post I thought that maybe I didn’t. It’s bizarre that some random on the internet thinks he can shape people’s opinions after the fact. I seriously worry about people like that.

9 - 0 to Brighton (In signings this season that is)!

1st Half - A better start than we have had for ages with a rewarding goal for our efforts. Though I think we still lack a bit of composure and our players were constantly misreading and getting in the way each other. Saying that, a good shout from the ref where everyone else seemed not to have spotted the hand ball. In my view the only disappointing player in this half has been Son, still think Lamela should have started

2nd Half - We made a meal of the 2nd half by allowing Brighton back into the game. Nearly a repeat of the Watford, Inter games. Thank God for Lamela (who should have started imo). With Alli also coming on, we managed to hold off Brighton for the final 15 minutes, especially as they came back from 0-2 to draw in their last two matches.

Not one of our convincing performances but a good away win against a team who also beat Manu at home.

I honestly dont know who to give MOTM

Lamela who changed the game after coming on as a sub? Kane for his goal? Dembele for playing three games in a week? I will go for with the majority on this occasion.

I watched the game like most people. Are bus-conductor bus-conductor ‘s posts going out on the World Service? In an age where everyone can watch the game this 1950’s style reportage seems to be redundant for folk who aren’t living in Mauritania. Fair play to the guy though.

‘Did you see the game?’ Yes, but when I saw BC’s post I thought that maybe I didn’t. It’s bizarre that some random on the internet thinks he can shape people’s opinions after the fact. I seriously worry about people like that.

Can't believe some random on the internet would try to turn the people of Mauritania against me?

9 - 0 to Brighton (In signings this season that is)!

1st Half - A better start than we have had for ages with a rewarding goal for our efforts. Though I think we still lack a bit of composure and our players were constantly misreading and getting in the way each other. Saying that, a good shout from the ref where everyone else seemed not to have spotted the hand ball. In my view the only disappointing player in this half has been Son, still think Lamela should have started

2nd Half - We made a meal of the 2nd half by allowing Brighton back into the game. Nearly a repeat of the Watford, Inter games. Thank God for Lamela (who should have started imo). With Alli also coming on, we managed to hold off Brighton for the final 15 minutes, especially as they came back from 0-2 to draw in their last two matches.

Not one of our convincing performances but a good away win against a team who also beat Manu at home.

I honestly dont know who to give MOTM

Lamela who changed the game after coming on as a sub? Kane for his goal? Dembele for playing three games in a week? I will go for with the majority on this occasion.

Bulletspur! Surprised to see you on here (it’s Spurger by the way).

Not sure who I’d give MotM to either. Dembele was great at times, but disappeared in the middle of the game. Rose was good until he blew up in the last few minutes.

If I had to choose I’d probably go with Alderweireld or ‘last ten minutes Kane’.

So let's understand ....

Brighton 28% possession ... there lowest of the season home or away ....
Brighton just 4 shots on target ....
Brighton just five corners ....

So we limited their set piece and high balls into the box incredibly well .... something we've failed to do for weeks ..

Spurs pass completion 90%, a huge improvement on the last few games ...
Spurs 'missed' defensive headers? just one, that's compared to 5/4 respectively v Watford and Liverpool ...
Spurs tackles 18 - that's almost double our season average ....

Yet according to Bus-Conductor "This game pretty much followed the season blue print so far" .... I have to ask, could he be any more wrong?

If you're going to right copious amounts about a game, and we all appreciate the effort, you have to start by watching the game and looking at the metrics ....

This was nothing like our last two league performances, this game was all about cutting out the errors, keeping the defence protected from high balls, maintaining possession with short passes not long hoofs, crunching into tackles not standing off .... in fact all the things we were good at last year and have not been so good at so far this year ...

Even in attack, which was by no means fluid, we did score a trademark fast pass and move goal.

There's no question we're still not at 100% but we were so, so much different from the way we've played in the last two games, and thank god for that ...

Sorry Bus-Conductor appreciate your effort but today you just got it so wrong ......

Sometimes people see what they want to see. And even when they dont see it, they tell themselves theyve seen it and then believe they see it. I thought we were pretty good and played conformtable dominant football except the last few minutes where we shat our pants . The rest of the match was under our control.

So let's understand ....

So we limited their set piece and high balls into the box incredibly well .... something we've failed to do for weeks ..

Spurs pass completion 90%, a huge improvement on the last few games ...
Spurs 'missed' defensive headers? just one, that's compared to 5/4 respectively v Watford and Liverpool ...
Spurs tackles 18 - that's almost double our season average ....

Yet according to Bus-Conductor "This game pretty much followed the season blue print so far" .... I have to ask, could he be any more wrong?

If you're going to right copious amounts about a game, and we all appreciate the effort, you have to start by watching the game and looking at the metrics ....

This was nothing like our last two league performances, this game was all about cutting out the errors, keeping the defence protected from high balls, maintaining possession with short passes not long hoofs, crunching into tackles not standing off .... in fact all the things we were good at last year and have not been so good at so far this year ...

Even in attack, which was by no means fluid, we did score a trademark fast pass and move goal.

There's no question we're still not at 100% but we were so, so much different from the way we've played in the last two games, and thank god for that ...

Sorry Bus-Conductor appreciate your effort but today you just got it so wrong ......

We only had 5 shots on target. 4 of them in the last 8 minutes.

We conceded less shots on target (2) and Corners (3) against Watford.

Brighton had 30% possession against Liverpool, and 33% possession against manU.

Our pass completion was 6% above our season average.

We didn't score a "Trademark pass and move goal" we scored a goal on the counter. And a penalty.

What I saw was a first 73 minutes without a single quality chance (our XG up to the pen was 0.29 - between the two goals it was 0.09).

The metrics aren't exactly screaming "new improved Spurs” to me.

Last edited:
We only had 5 shots on target. 4 of them in the last 8 minutes.

We conceded less shots on target (2) and Corners (3) against Watford.
Brighton had 30% possession against Liverpool, and 33% possession against manU.
Our pass completion was 6% above our season average.
We didn't score a "Trademark pass and move goal" we scored a goal on the counter. And a penalty.
The metrics aren't exactly screaming "BC was massively wrong".

Look at what you just wrote ......

Our pass completion was 6% above our season average

That 6% is massive, it's the difference between Watford getting the ball in our box more than double the number of times Brighton did .... do you even grasp how significant the difference is between 84% pass completion and 90% pass completion? it's mid-table to top four different ....

In yesterdays game that meant we didn't give Brighton the ball on 42 occasions, which playing at our seasons average we would have done, that's 42 possible attacks we didn't have to face ... that makes it a completely different game from the last two league games ...

If you can't see the difference in style not sure what game you were watching ... Poch said it, post match summaries said it, Kane said it, Dier said it ....

We set out to stop giving the ball away, to prevent Brighton getting high balls into our box by tackling earlier, to maintain possession by keeping passes short .... a very clear change of tactics ...

We can agree to disagree, after all football is subjective sport, but you will never convince me this was 'more of the same' this for me was a very big and crucial step forward .... let's hope we keep it up ....

Look at what you just wrote ......

Our pass completion was 6% above our season average

That 6% is massive, it's the difference between Watford getting the ball in our box more than double the number of times Brighton did .... do you even grasp how significant the difference is between 84% pass completion and 90% pass completion? it's mid-table to top four different ....

In yesterdays game that meant we didn't give Brighton the ball on 42 occasions, which playing at our seasons average we would have done, that's 42 possible attacks we didn't have to face ... that makes it a completely different game from the last two league games ...

If you can't see the difference in style not sure what game you were watching ... Poch said it, post match summaries said it, Kane said it, Dier said it ....

We set out to stop giving the ball away, to prevent Brighton getting high balls into our box by tackling earlier, to maintain possession by keeping passes short .... a very clear change of tactics ...

We can agree to disagree, after all football is subjective sport, but you will never convince me this was 'more of the same' this for me was a very big and crucial step forward .... let's hope we keep it up ....

They only completed one less pass in our box than Watford, that’s despite Watford being significantly better offensively than Brighton.

Just because there was a 6% upswing in pass completion (which you would be remiss not to allow for the fact that Brighton were the most passive, and offensively deficient team we’ve played so far - maybe bar Newcastle - when analysing) does not mean a radical change in all facets.

What about all the other metrics I quoted you.

They only completed one less pass in our box than Watford, that’s despite Watford being significantly better offensively than Brighton.

Just because there was a 6% upswing in pass completion (which you would be remiss not to allow for the fact that Brighton were the most passive, and offensively deficient team we’ve played so far - maybe bar Newcastle - when analysing) does not mean a radical change in all facets.

What about all the other metrics I quoted you.

I don't want to repeat the same arguments, it's great that we view games differently ... I saw this as a big change from the previous two weeks, far better protection of the back five achieved by keeping the ball much better, and by being more aggressive in our tackling and pressing ...

As for your metrics, I'm sure they are correct, I could argue that 'pass and move' is counter-attacking ... that the extra possession versus Utd and Liverpool though small was significant, that limiting opportunities in the box means more than attempts on goal ... but that's all becoming subjective ....

We just saw the game differently, and that's great, would be a pretty boring forum if we all agreed with each other all the time .....

Surprised at the Rose(6) love on here and elsewhere . Thought he was generally OK ,an assist yes ,but MoM !? On 2 occasions I remember, one for the goal ,he was baffled that a left-sided opponent had to check back and cross with his left , offering that player all the time/space needed to do us damage . Anyway some signs he is improving at least .
Sonny (4) is so far off ready it hurts . Could audition for the next 'Invisible Man' film on this form . Surprised Poch took so long to spot that .
Anyway a scrappy win , well done the lads , but you could see why Poch was shaking his head in frustration at the end .

Last edited:
Surprised at the Rose(6) love on here and elsewhere . Thought he was generally OK ,an assist yes ,but MoM !? On 2 occasions I remember, one for the goal ,he was baffled that a left-sided opponent had to check back and cross with his left , offering that player all the time/space needed to do us damage . Anyway some signs he is improving at least .
Sonny (4) is so far off ready it hurts . Could audition for the next 'Invisible Man' film on this form . Surprised Poch took so long to spot that .
Anyway a scrappy win , well done the lads , but you could see why Poch was shaking his head in frustration at the end .

Agree on Rose, most of the good defensive stuff he did was last gasp - but only because he was out of position in the first place. And several times he messed up good attacking opportunities. He is nowhere near the player he once was. Still has never really learnt to play left back properly, but doesn't have the athleticism to cover it any more. We could easily upgrade on him.

MOM was probably Gazzaniga, just for not being Vorm and instilling some confidence in his team mates.

I thought rose was absolutely dreadful barring the assist but everyone seems to be praising him
It's a funny old game !

So let's understand ....

The only thing that astonished me is that people still read these ego centric diatribes, let alone are surprised at the fact that most of it is bollocks.
Maybe he'll find a Muritania Spurs web site and go there and peddle this stuff?
We can but hope

Agree on Rose, most of the good defensive stuff he did was last gasp - but only because he was out of position in the first place. And several times he messed up good attacking opportunities. He is nowhere near the player he once was. Still has never really learnt to play left back properly, but doesn't have the athleticism to cover it any more. We could easily upgrade on him.

MOM was probably Gazzaniga, just for not being Vorm and instilling some confidence in his team mates.
Good comments on Rose, he looked the weakest link in our back line, as their goal showed.
I was championing Gazza's inclusion last season and was ridiculed by the samster from hell for suggesting it. He's a good keeper

Back
Top Bottom