Brighton (H) - Saturday (16th April) 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are you serious? Brighton played the better football all game. They passed better , run faster and had purpose to their game. We had nothing no movement, no pace and certainly no intensity. Potters trans play good football and I think most footballs fans would agree. If they could put the ball in the net more they’d be top half easily. Any way the anti football was played by us with dier and Romero just knocking the ball to each at snail pace.
Passing the ball is not anti football.
Time wasting after 5 minutes and feigning injury every 5 minutes is.
They were Burnley and Stoke rolled into one

I thought the sane actually. It was strange seeing him sitting there at start of the game. Don’t think he normally does that? However he keeps going on about instilling winning mentality and not losing so I have no idea what he said pre match to the players. The performance was just so abject. We attempted nothing and only had long ball tactic as we hardly ever won the ball back in the middle of the pitch to try the counter.

All I saw was Dier hoofing it long to our forwards. Brighton was totally ready for it. If we had a very technical gifted AM who could break the high press and create better numbers in the attacking end we could have got after em.
We do, his name is Harry Kane. And Brighton blocked the passes from the back 3 either to Kane when he was deep, or to Bentancur to stop him turning and feeding Kane.

Brighton figured us out, played with a plan and stuck to it diligently for the entire match.

That's all well and good, but we never changed what we did. There was a point where Dier and Romero swapped passes at least 10 times. I recall Dier going long very few times, and when he did, it was both a shit ball and easily dealt with.

My reaction was that we've had to rely on others doing us favours (as we will have to do again midweek)
...and in my experience, that NEVER ends well in the long run.

Yes, WE coulda won, and so could the Arse... and we'd be where we are this morning, just with 3 points more...

The point is, we SHOULD have been well clear if them before they even kicked a ball... But as it was, we're praying and hoping for Southampton to do us a favour... That just doesn't sit right with me, for a club with supposed CL aspirations!

I'm also livid that Spurs ruined what was a glorious sunny, feelgood Saturday, until they showed up and stunk the place out!

There, that's how I feel...
Well, you did ask!
No game is a given. Brighton played with complete freedom, no pressure at all. That can make a big difference.
We aren't relying on anyone, it's still in our hands, but we will drop more points so Liverpool an Chelsea winning mid week is a must for us as we'll probably need it come the end. We could be sitting here level with Woolwich today. But we aren't

We can all makes assessments, draw up formations and suggest tactics, but until Conte gets two credible wingbacks his system will never work against the more disciplined teams.

We offered nothing down either wing, and Potter simply flooded the midfiled and pressed knowing we had no outlet on either wing.

Expect more of this over the closing games of the season.

We can all makes assessments, draw up formations and suggest tactics, but until Conte gets two credible wingbacks his system will never work against the more disciplined teams.

We offered nothing down either wing, and Potter simply flooded the midfiled and pressed knowing we had no outlet on either wing.

Expect more of this over the closing games of the season.
Conte is stubborn as fuck, he doesn't change his system until it proved itself unteneable over the course of a few games/weeks.

It makes sense because you need to run an experiment a number of times before accepting or discarding your hypothesis. Unfortunately, I think he's been too slow, and we don't have the time for him to keep running with the current system till it proves a success/failure.

Pretty infuriating that we had a week between the games a couple of days off aside we were not raring to go . This was a real chance to pump up the pressure and as the goons result showed a win would have really put us in the box seat. But no we turn in an abject display not taking charge of our own destiny back hoping others fail and now face a tricky match next week .
The worst part of this is when you look at the fixtures for the week.
United play the Dippers, Woolwich play Chelsea and then the play each other before we take the field next.
Two losses would have had either of those teams teetering on the absolute brink of elimination or, in United’s case, probably outright done.
Even four points dropped — assuming a Woolwich -United draw would have put us firmly in charge.

Instead, we keep them around and give them fresh hope and energy.
Let’s hope Liverpool and Chelsea put them both to the sword in midweek to remind them that they have no business being near the top four.

Instead, we keep them around and give them fresh hope and energy.
Let’s hope Liverpool and Chelsea put them both to the sword in midweek to remind them that they have no business being near the top four.
Right now, NONE of us have any business being near the top four!!

I honestly think the weather made the players too relaxed. The sun was shining, we had top 4 in our hands, everyone was raving about us and the opponent had lost 6 of their last 8 matches. It was a nice warm day against little Brighton and we played like it was a preseason friendly.

I think those two throw-ins where Reguilon took literally a minute to throw the ball, summed it up. There was no urgency, no intensity. They played as if the result didn’t matter. If it had been pissing with rain I think it would have at least made the players ready for battle. But instead the warm sun seemed to put them all to sleep. I think even Conte mentioned the weather in the press conference after, it’s sad that it should be a factor but to me it was obvious. The players played like they were on the beach and CL was already secured.
So the weather and the fact Brighton had / have to play for didn’t impact them and how their attitude towards the game?

Absolutely dreadful game yesterday. Nothing positive from it whatsoever from a footballing point of view. Was just a real poor performance.

In the standard play books of the way football results tend to go, based on recent form yesterday was most likely going to be one of those games that we drop points. You don't win every game and I got to the point in the match where it was just important not to lose, take the point and move on. But no that didn't happen.

I still think we're in a good position, especially with Woolwich losing too. Big week of fixtures coming up now. Hopefully we will put in a much better performance against Brentford next week as they are in great form.
Putting in a much better performance against Brentford is an absolute must now. Anything else will be unacceptable

Apart from Berg at the death who totally fluffed it with very poor technique
Come the guy hasn’t even touched the ball.? He came on with 3 minutes to go and is expected to be sharp and do more in those minutes than the lazy fuckers who couldn’t manage shit for previous 87?

I said to my mate at the game we should move Kulusevski into AM behind Kane and play Bergwijn on the right.

He didn't need a 3rd CB. Waste of time.

Could have taken Reg off for Bergwijn and gone 4231.
Posted sane thing especially as game wore on and we needed to score we could have gone to flat back 4 and berg on.

Come the guy hasn’t even touched the ball.? He came on with 3 minutes to go and is expected to be sharp and do more in those minutes than the lazy fuckers who couldn’t manage shit for previous 87?
Yes

He’s a professional footballer getting paid a lot of money and supposed to be a striker so yes he should have at the very least hit the target

His technique was crap and he probably bottled it like he did at the Dippers a while back

A flash in the pan like the Leicester game is not enough imv

It clearly is with you?

Back
Top Bottom