Brighton v Spurs 19/20 Ratings and ramblings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
Figment of my imagination. But our season falls apart without him? And I'm the blagger..

I said "shitshow".

5th, 6th or even 7th and no CL final would have not been bleak enough for you? Poch would have in fact failed based on the 5 year plan.... Not a good way to start "phase 2" I'd have thought...

If you think Skipp & Winks over 40/50 games would have been plain sailing then good for you, but I await "evidence" on that front.

whoscored.com's in on the conspiracy.

I think you'll find I didn't question the table you posted. It does make me curious what their system considers a "tackle" though....

Does one actually have to have established possession afterwards?

I said "shitshow".

5th, 6th or even 7th and no CL final would have not been bleak enough for you? Poch would have in fact failed based on the 5 year plan.... Not a good way to start "phase 2" I'd have thought...

If you think Skipp & Winks over 40/50 games would have been plain sailing then good for you, but I await "evidence" on that front.

I think you'll find I didn't question the table you posted. It does make me curious what their system considers a "tackle" though....

Does one actually have to have established possession afterwards?

That whoscored stat is successful tackles. Sissoko 2/5.

Where's the 5 come from? (Attempts?) ...That figure isn't shown above.

....Still wondering what they deem "success".

OPTA:

A Tackle Won is deemed to be where the tackler or one of his team-mates regains possession as a result of the challenge, or that the ball goes out of play and is “safe”.

A Tackle Lost is where a tackle is made but the ball goes to an opposition player.

OPTA:

A Tackle Won is deemed to be where the tackler or one of his team-mates regains possession as a result of the challenge, or that the ball goes out of play and is “safe”.

A Tackle Lost is where a tackle is made but the ball goes to an opposition player.

Ah, I see. My view of a tackle is the successful act of disruption/dispossesion. Whether or not the ball is subsequently recovered by one side or another is arguably a new micro-phase of play....

Sometimes the act of disruption (via the proverbial 'foot in') is enough to have done some good; no?

Great write up other than clinging onto the Sissoko hate for nothing but pride.

Very silly. It’s the exact sort of blinkered shit that has throttled this club

And his ridiculous rantings on Sissoko must prevent most Reasonable posters from reading anything else he writes as he sounds mentally unbalanced

Seriously 😒

Ah, I see. My view of a tackle is the successful act of disruption/dispossesion. Whether or not the ball is subsequently recovered by one side or another is arguably a new micro-phase of play....

Sometimes the act of disruption (via the proverbial 'foot in') is enough to have done some good; no?

For sure, but better if we end up with the ball than the opposition, no?

fKkqzAG.png

Will wade in with what comes to mind reading this discussion.

“If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake.”

Paolo Maldini. (Averaged 0.56 tackles per game over his career)

Another one from Xabi Alonso

“I don’t think tackling is a quality. It is something you have to resort to, not a characteristic of your game.

“I can’t get into my head that football development would educate tackling as a quality, something to learn, to teach, a characteristic of your play. How can that be a way of seeing the game? I just don’t understand football in those terms.
Tackling is a [last] resort, and you will need it, but it isn’t a quality to aspire to, a definition.
It’s hard to change because it’s so rooted in the English football culture, but I don’t understand it.”

Not really read anything on the forum since Saturday as it is too depressing. This was simply the worst performance since before Poch came. Yes worse than Tuesday where at least at first we played well. The only thing that makes any sense is the players are trying to get rid of Poch.
Partly blame myself as after several years of putting it off on Tuesday I subscribed to BT with the 2 worst results in the first 2 matches on BT. For once looking forward to the International break to avoid further punishment of watching Spurs. Just truly awful performance and result and best summed up in that lacked effort and skill in all areas of the field.

Is there a way to auto hide posts from a given poster that includes a given string of characters?

For example, oh...I dunno.... let's say just as an example posts by bus-conductor bus-conductor that include the characters Sis.

That's right, I'm bored of hearing about Blakey's sister.

Another one from Xabi Alonso

“I don’t think tackling is a quality. It is something you have to resort to, not a characteristic of your game.

“I can’t get into my head that football development would educate tackling as a quality, something to learn, to teach, a characteristic of your play. How can that be a way of seeing the game? I just don’t understand football in those terms.
Tackling is a [last] resort, and you will need it, but it isn’t a quality to aspire to, a definition.
It’s hard to change because it’s so rooted in the English football culture, but I don’t understand it.”

Nobody is claiming that tackling is some virtuous skill to prized above various other skills, and collective tackling stats for teams often tell us very little tactically, cohesive collective pressure is invariably more useful, but I merely posted the data because it was a defence put up for Sissoko by his fan club - ie "yes he's shit at football but he stuck in". He doesn't, he doesn't press well, he doesn't win the ball in tackles, doesn't't intercept.

You can tackle less if you can turn the ball over other ways, clever cohesive collective pressure etc, but we have become shit at that. 16th at pressure regains I believe in the league.

Defensively we have become fucking lazy as a group. Incoherent. Individually and collectively we are fucking piss poor without the ball.

Back
Top Bottom