Bryan Gil

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Core strength is a must for smaller players. He doesn't need to bulk up to a Ronaldo or Bale type of physique. That's not his game anyway.

He just needs to be able to stay on the ball when getting ruffled up a bit. Core strength does that. How big your biceps or lats are don't.
It's not just about core strength. It's physics at the end of the day, when two objects collide, the smaller one has to move farther. All else being equal there's no way to overcome pure mass.

Still, Gil can learn to use his weight better too, like squatting down and bracing for impact or barging the opposition when they're off balance.

I’m surprised to read posters saying Gil doesn’t need to bulk up

We’ve all seen him … and to mention ‘core strength’ that goes without saying …. He’s an athlete he’s going to be doing plenty of core strengthening… that’s just good practice

I was disappointed to hear him say he’d put on 2kg … I mean from 19-20 putting on 2kg is just developing

He needs 4kg added under the auspices of a professional coach …. Then he might make a fist of the succeeding in the PL

Which I hope he does because I think he’s a great talent

Edit : I also thought dier looked a little heavy last year and I’ll be interested to see how he turns out after some conte treatment

What’s the point being made here ?

Modric at 2 inches shorter is a STONE heavier

That actually demonstrates perfectly how slight Gil is
I doubt Modric was a stone heavier when he was Gil's age. The following is from Wikipedia:

"Modrić had a slow start at Tottenham. He suffered from a knee injury early in his tenure and was labelled as a light-weight for the Premier League by sections of the media, as well as Woolwich manager Arsène Wenger. Reflecting on that, Modrić said that such "critics push you forward to show people they are wrong. Maybe I look lightweight but I am a really strong person mentally and physically, and I never had any problems with my size".

Gil should put on some size but more importantly he should gain strength and gain experience playing against more physical opponents. It’s not just about putting on 5kg for the sake of it just so he’s a bit heavier, this will help but you can specifically train to get stronger without being “too bulky” or compromise his speed and movement. Despite his size he could have a future in this league, he is clearly talented and we have seen other diminutive players do well here.

Gil needs to get those core, bum and leg muscles built up, that's where the strength lies - his game is all about balance and protecting the ball so he needs to be able to fend off players with the lower part of his body like Modric, Hazard, Veratti etc..

What a talent.

Questions will always come up around his suitability to the English game due to his size but man, he really does have something about him.

I really hope he can push on.

Far too talented and far too young for to transfer. He needs to play a lot of minutes and physically develop. Another loan should be in order if we don’t think he will play much this season.

We have a heavy schedule this season… I would play him in the early cup games.

Far too talented and far too young for to transfer. He needs to play a lot of minutes and physically develop. Another loan should be in order if we don’t think he will play much this season.

Plus with 5 subs bring him on for the last 20.

Gil should put on some size but more importantly he should gain strength and gain experience playing against more physical opponents. It’s not just about putting on 5kg for the sake of it just so he’s a bit heavier, this will help but you can specifically train to get stronger without being “too bulky” or compromise his speed and movement. Despite his size he could have a future in this league, he is clearly talented and we have seen other diminutive players do well here.
He's in no danger of becoming too bulky.

I'd keep him until January. Give Conte and his team team six months to coach him. Give him run outs every week, whether that be in the Premier League or cup games as a substitute, work off of those performances, working on things that need to be improved. Then come January, send him to a club where he'll play every minute so he can put what he's learnt into practice. A club like Brentford would be perfect if it could happen as he could stay where he is and touch base every week with the club.

He needs minutes but he also needs proper coaching. In Conte and his team, he has a fantastic chance to develop into a very good player. Letting him rot on the bench won't help him, but nor will going off to play football at a place where he won't be developed properly.

He's in no danger of becoming too bulky.

Of course not, that’s silly. But he could become (in time) too big for his tiny frame so it has a negative impact on his movement. I personally don’t believe that will ever happen though.

Of course not, that’s silly. But he could become (in time) too big for his tiny frame so it has a negative impact on his movement. I personally don’t believe that will ever happen though.
Yeah, I agree with your point. A couple of kilos and learning how to use the weight is better than just going for pure bulk.

From my weight lifitng experience, trying bulk inevitably leads to gaining a bit of fat so he needs to do it slowly.

Ideally, he would have arrived at pre-season slightly "overweight", and then over the course of the pre-season trimmed down to the target weight.

I'd keep him until January. Give Conte and his team team six months to coach him. Give him run outs every week, whether that be in the Premier League or cup games as a substitute, work off of those performances, working on things that need to be improved. Then come January, send him to a club where he'll play every minute so he can put what he's learnt into practice. A club like Brentford would be perfect if it could happen as he could stay where he is and touch base every week with the club.

He needs minutes but he also needs proper coaching. In Conte and his team, he has a fantastic chance to develop into a very good player. Letting him rot on the bench won't help him, but nor will going off to play football at a place where he won't be developed properly.
Also, although he's physically smaller & less strong, Gil has a skillset very similar to Kulu.

Gil has footballing intelligence (which is hard to coach), likes to cut in from the right on his left foot, and is not afraid to play in tight areas. Of course Kulu is a far superior finisher right now.

If you look at the balance of our attacking players: Son & Moura can run in behind, Kane & Richarlison can both play as the central striker holding the ball up, Richarlison can play as a wide forward but primarily using his strength rather than guile.

Along with Kane, Kulu is our creative option, playing with his head up. In our current group, it is Gil who provides potential squad depth if we need some trickery, a spark, to open up an opposition defence.

Also, although he's physically smaller & less strong, Gil has a skillset very similar to Kulu.

Gil has footballing intelligence (which is hard to coach), likes to cut in from the right on his left foot, and is not afraid to play in tight areas. Of course Kulu is a far superior finisher right now.

If you look at the balance of our attacking players: Son & Moura can run in behind, Kane & Richarlison can both play as the central striker holding the ball up, Richarlison can play as a wide forward but primarily using his strength rather than guile.

Along with Kane, Kulu is our creative option, playing with his head up. In our current group, it is Gil who provides potential squad depth if we need some trickery, a spark, to open up an opposition defence.
Yeah, good point. I wish we could get that with our midfield. They're all defensive workhorse type.

Yeah, good point. I wish we could get that with our midfield. They're all defensive workhorse type.
But that's the type of CM Conte wants for his tactical system.

Conte showed with Kulu that he was happy to accommodate creativity in one of the wider attacking positions in his 3-4-3. Kulu starts wide, but often drifts inside to become more of a playmaker. Alternately, late in the season, Kulu's position on the flank allowed Doherty as a WB to make an inside run into the box, which is one of his strengths.

In terms of Kulu's tactical role last season, for me Gil is almost perfectly suited to play in a similar fashion. Gil needs to improve his end product - assists & goals - but he's the type of player who will look better amongst top players who can anticipate his movement and passes.

Given most weeks our starting front players will 3 from the 4 of Kane, Son, Kulu & Richarlison, having Gil & Moura as depth options is not too shabby.

Back
Top Bottom