Bryan Gil

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But then, how highly did Sevilla rate him to let a Spanish wonderkid go for 22m + Lamela? What was the situation there precisely? Corona hitting finances I imagine but still, if they thought he was top tier it still seems oddly cheap.
I follow Sevilla a bit, it didn't really matter how much Sevilla rated him because he wanted to leave. He was highly rated not just by Sevilla but everyone in Spanish football but he wasn't in the first team manager's plan at all, Lopetegui had zero intention of using him and they decided to not go against the manager, he's been good for Sevilla.

After Gil's very successful loan, where he was being touted as one of the future stars of Spanish football, he wasn't willing to stay at Sevilla where he knew he wasn't really wanted. This bit is speculation but I also think he didn't want to be potentially limited at Sevilla in terms of pay and stardom. He wanted the visibility and money that comes from the PL and thought he was good enough to take the step, I think him taking the 11 shirt shows his mentality.

So with those two things combined, what choice did Sevilla have? They did rate him but they've also had a lot of success and experience selling their highly rated wunderkinds, they know they can't keep them all, and football is so unpredictable most of them don't succeed outside of Sevilla anyway. He had already spent two years on loan and his contract ended 2023. If he refused to go on loan again but didn't play much in the first team this year, how much could they have sold him for this summer?

So the club thought, might as well get some money now. It was a good outcome for everyone, they got a lot of money for a promise in addition to a player ready to play now (they're making a push to win right now, not necessarily in the future), whereas Bryan also gets what he wants and doesn't ruin any goodwill he had with the Sevilla fans which they've had problems with previously.

I follow Sevilla a bit, it didn't really matter how much Sevilla rated him because he wanted to leave. He was highly rated not just by Sevilla but everyone in Spanish football but he wasn't in the first team manager's plan at all, Lopetegui had zero intention of using him and they decided to not go against the manager, he's been good for Sevilla.

After Gil's very successful loan, where he was being touted as one of the future stars of Spanish football, he wasn't willing to stay at Sevilla where he knew he wasn't really wanted. This bit is speculation but I also think he didn't want to be potentially limited at Sevilla in terms of pay and stardom. He wanted the visibility and money that comes from the PL and thought he was good enough to take the step, I think him taking the 11 shirt shows his mentality.

So with those two things combined, what choice did Sevilla have? They did rate him but they've also had a lot of success and experience selling their highly rated wunderkinds, they know they can't keep them all, and football is so unpredictable most of them don't succeed outside of Sevilla anyway. He had already spent two years on loan and his contract ended 2023. If he refused to go on loan again but didn't play much in the first team this year, how much could they have sold him for this summer?

So the club thought, might as well get some money now. It was a good outcome for everyone, they got a lot of money for a promise in addition to a player ready to play now (they're making a push to win right now, not necessarily in the future), whereas Bryan also gets what he wants and doesn't ruin any goodwill he had with the Sevilla fans which they've had problems with previously.

Interesting, thanks!

I knew he was highly rated in Spain so found it odd a decent sized Spanish club would let him go. But that explains it nicely.

Do you think he will be a success at Spurs?

I don't think he necessarily needs a loan, especially if we are shifting Bergjwin out.

What he does need is for Conte to decide what position he wants to use him in, and then he trains and plays in ONLY that position.

He's clearly got a lot of talent and appears to be a hard worker on the pitch as well. What's obvious to me watching him is he just doesn't know where to be and what to do yet in this system. He's a bit of a headless chicken at times.

So Conte needs to find the right spot for him and drill him in only that spot, so he gets a sense of what to do on the pitch.

I don't think he necessarily needs a loan, especially if we are shifting Bergjwin out.

What he does need is for Conte to decide what position he wants to use him in, and then he trains and plays in ONLY that position.

He's clearly got a lot of talent and appears to be a hard worker on the pitch as well. What's obvious to me watching him is he just doesn't know where to be and what to do yet in this system. He's a bit of a headless chicken at times.

So Conte needs to find the right spot for him and drill him in only that spot, so he gets a sense of what to do on the pitch.

Conte doesnt play with wingers thats the problem.

Weve already sold lamela and gonna sell Stevie. Both players who are dependable.

And the likes of lo celso and ndombele are still here.

Conte doesnt play with wingers thats the problem.

Weve already sold lamela and gonna sell Stevie. Both players who are dependable.

Lamela left before Conte even arrived.

Seeing as we play 343..... If Berg leaves that has nothing to do with not having a spot for him to contend for in the front 3 and respective back-up........ We've been linked to Kulusevski, Traore, Diaz this Jan; all of which are wingers/wide-attackers.

One Posh-Seats; yet so much wrong-ism.

I know he’s young and hasn’t had much time but, apart from that run to the byline against Chelsea I haven’t seen much from him. I remember seeing Bale for the first time and immediately thinking he had something a bit special, even though he didn’t win a game with us for ages. I’m not expecting him to be anything like Bale, but just think he’d have shown more if he had it in him. At the moment he reminds me of an excited puppy chasing a ball around, endearing but frustrating. Hope I’m wrong.

Back
Top Bottom